Sons of Ivy

Full Version: 2014 SOI Keeper Fantasy Football League
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:I think I'm pretty screwed no matter what.  I have a really bad team of keeper options.  I've got like 5 players who would cost a 1st round pick, so I can only keep 1, and even then, using a keeper on a 1st rounder doesn't exactly make my socks roll up and down.

Fire the GM.
Brown over Bell in a .5 PPR/2 starting RB league?

So we'll have this, here are the list of keeper restrictions for future seasons (any players added to rosters after the end of the regular season will be added to this list):

Cannot be kept in 2018 because kept 3 straight years:

Odell Beckham Jr. - PcB

Brandin Cooks - BT

T.Y. Hilton - Koz

Can be kept for the last time in 2018:

Devonta Freeman - Koz

Todd Gurley - Slaw

David Johnson - Clapp

Can be kept in both 2018 and 2019:

Jay Ajayi - Clapp

Derek Carr - Dave

Tevin Coleman - BT

Stefon Diggs - Fella

Mike Gillislee - Kid

Melvin Gordan - Dave

Jordan Howard - Slaw

Julio Jones - PcB

Travis Kelce - Rapp

LeSean McCoy - Kid

DeMarco Murray - Liner

Aaron Rodgers - Rapp

Matt Ryan - Liner

Jameis Winston - Fella

everyone please pay leaguesafe. 

Having been easily the most scored upon team in the league, the fire sale has begun.  Everyone on my team is available.  Value keepers and draft picks wanted in return.

The new guy picked up Rodgers... who is not available as a keeper option, right? He wouldn't be back until like Week 15 or something at the earliest (and still unlikely) so the add seems useless otherwise.
He's available as a keeper, but it would be based upon his draft status this year, which means he'd be kept in the 1st round next year.

Ah okay. Well then I guess no reason to care about that.

I wish Yahoo would get rid of those "likely to win" percentages.  Going into last night's game, I had Detroit's defense left and BT still has Kareem Hunt left.  I was ~4 points down and Yahoo only gave me a 16% chance to win, which I thought was low.  The Lions defense scored 5, so I'm a point up with Hunt still to play and they give me now a 13% chance to win which is idiotically high.

Yeah, those percentage swings don't make any sense. 

If not for insane games from Hopkins and Wilson, I would have lost my second game. The 2 losses would have been to the 2 teams that have officially given up for the year. 

So, I have an issue I want to throw out there and see what reactions are.

In looking over players that I might want to keep next year, I noticed Adam Thielen who has had a good year and was a 12th round pick.  Ordinarily, he'd be an 11th round keeper in 2018, 10th round in 2019, etc.  However, as it turns out my worst draft pick is in the 9th round. 

My issue is not with his 2018 keeper status.  There's nothing that can be done about that.  If I want to keep him, I'll have to use my 9th round pick to do it.  There's no alternative.  That's easy enough.  Rather, my issue is that would also reset his keeper value for future years.  So, after being a 12th round draft pick in 2017, he'd be kept as a 9th in 2018 due to my lack of lower picks, which would mean he'd have to be kept as an 8th in 2019, etc.

This issue is not unique to me.  It can happen anytime a draft pick is traded.  It can also happen if an owner wants to keep 2 players in the same round.  For example, if you want to keep 2 undrafted players, it will cost a 6th and a 7th, even though both of their keeper costs should be as a 7th (unless you happen to have two 7th round picks).

My idea is that if an owner has to use a better pick than the rules otherwise require to keep a player, then should it be possible to restore the player's "correct" keeper value based upon the original draft selection in future years?

For example, if I kept Thielen in 2018, it would have to be as a 9th rounder.  But, if I kept him in 2019, I could keep him as a 10th rounder which would be based upon his original draft status, not in the 8th round which would be based on where my selection of picks required him to be kept in 2018.

Thoughts?

I'm fine with that, and it seem logical. You are using your 9th round pick to save him in the 10th. But it might be somewhat of a pain in the ass bookkeeping wise. 

On the other hand, it will be rare enough it probably won't matter. 

What I think would make sense is that that the burden has to go on the person keeping the player to report it to you and me upon keeping the player.  For example, if I choose Thielen as a keeper, then I would need to report that I'm keeping him using a higher than required 9th round pick in 2018, but that he would be eligible to be kept as a 10th rounder in 2019.  That way, we can verify it against the prior year's draft, and I can note it when I keep the running list of keepers from year-to-year.

It can't fall on us to track that information without a heads up by the owner.

This league is kind of crazy this year.  Looks like there will be 7 teams with a shot at 5 playoff spots going into week 13.  BT is the only one certain to be in (Clapp is probably also a lock), only Fella and I are out.

As a reminder since this coming week is the last week of the regular season, after this week's games, the rosters will be locked for the 4 teams that do not make the playoffs (including me).  Each successive week, as teams are knocked out of the playoffs, their rosters will be locked.  The point is to keep players who are on the waiver wire available for teams that are still alive in the playoffs.

The consolation bracket and games that don't have an impact on deciding the league champion (like the 3rd place game, 5th place game, etc.) have no impact on draft status for next year.  Other than for the 2 teams that make the championship game, draft status is based solely on regular season record.

For those teams that are still alive in the playoffs, you can continue to make roster moves, but any players added after the end of the regular season are ineligible to be kept next year.