Sons of Ivy

Full Version: 2014 SOI Keeper Fantasy Football League
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm going to raise an objection to your keeping a player who was suspended all of last year and who you signed on December 18 during the 2nd week of the playoffs for which you did not qualify.  That's circumventing the keeper rules, which is what Ace tried to do a few years ago and he was blocked.

If you are going to try to keep him, this will need to be put to a vote.

He was available to pick up right? Should eliminated teams not be able to pick up players that they deem keeper worthy?
Any of the playoff teams could have picked him up and stashed him on their bench. I don't see the problem with this.
 Honest question: what's the rule being circumvented?

It's at least the spirit of the rule.  A few years ago, the rule was that any player signed off waivers was a 7th round keeper, regardless of whether and where the player was drafted.  Ace, after being eliminated from contention, signed a bunch of high draft pick players who were injured, with an eye towards keeping them in the 7th round the next season.  These were players who he only signed after being out of contention and after the players' seasons were done due to injury.  The only reason he signed them was to keep them the next year, and not to use them during the season he signed them.  Ace was blocked for the reason that it wasn't fair for a team, with nothing to play for, to sign a player that couldn't help the team and then get a cheap relatively low keeper pick to use.  That's when we imposed the rule that any player kept would be kept according to how they were drafted the year before, even if released, etc.  That way, if Ace had kept a 1st round pick who he claimed off waivers after already being on IR, he would have to use a 1st round pick to keep the player, not a 7th.

This is effectively a one-off situation.  You have a player who was not drafted because he was suspended for the entire season.  PcB didn't draft him (if he had, I'd have no objection).  He didn't sign him while still in contention in the league.  He signed him in the 2nd week of the playoffs, after not making the playoffs, for the specific intention of hoping that Gordon's suspension would be lifted and he could be kept cheap.  He signed a player who did not play at all last season, when it couldn't hurt him because he was already eliminated, for the sole purpose of keeping that player, and not to use that player on his team last year.

This is no different than when Ace signed IR players to keep them in the 7th round.  It violates at least the spirit of the keeper system, and I don't think it should be allowed.

Were all of the teams that made the playoffs allowed to pick him up and stash him on their bench last year?
The fact that you didn't make the playoffs isn't decisive on this.  If Rapp, who made the championship game, had signed Gordon in the next to last week of the playoffs and stashed him for those final 2 weeks, I would have the same objection.  The fact that you did it after being eliminated only makes it more egregious because you had nothing to play for.

So I picked up a player who was allowed to be picked up even when I had nothing to play for and I'm being penalized for it?

Should we lock pick ups for teams that aren't in contention?

Should we not be able to pick up players who are injured for the second half of the season to keep them?

I'm not sure what I did wrong here. I picked up a player that anyone could have picked up at any time and now I want to keep him. If I would have held him on my roster since week 4 would that have been fine? I'm being penalized for not being dumb?
Quote:So I picked up a player who was allowed to be picked up even when I had nothing to play for and I'm being penalized for it?

Should we lock pick ups for teams that aren't in contention?

Should we not be able to pick up players who are injured for the second half of the season to keep them?

Here's what you're missing:  because of what Ace did a few years ago, if a team out of contention signs a good player who's injured or whatever, they have to keep them in the round in which they were drafted, not the 7th round.  You have, effectively, a one-time situation where a player was never going to be drafted because he was suspended for the entire season.  This is not like an injured player where, if you sign them, you're stuck keeping them based upon draft status the year before.  If Gordon had been drafted by anybody last year, and you were stuck with that draft pick, I'd have no objection.  You're trying to skate through what is a situation we've effectively already dealt with.  

To be clear, I'm not saying you did anything wrong.  I'm simply saying this keeper should not be allowed.

Quote:I'm not sure what I did wrong here. I picked up a player that anyone could have picked up at any time and now I want to keep him. If I would have held him on my roster since week 4 would that have been fine? I being penalized for not being dumb?
If you - or anyone else - had kept him on your roster for most of the season, including while you were still trying to win, I think we'd have a different situation, then stashing a player on your roster in the next-to-last week of the season (and, in particular, when you were already eliminated and had nothing to play for).  It's not that you're being penalized for not being dumb.  It's that you shouldn't be rewarded for taking Gordon when you did under the circumstances.
When you signed Josh Gordon during the 2nd week of the playoffs, you released Andy Dalton to get him.  Andy Dalton was not drafted last year, and he was not signed by anybody after you released him.

So you are not "punished," I would have no objection, if you so chose, to having you keep Dalton in the 7th round this season.  That's when you could have kept him if you hadn't released him to sign Gordon.  Dalton was a player who was actually on your roster for most of the season while you were trying to win.

So essentially because Gordon is good I'm not allowed to keep him. Got it.

Anybody could have signed Gordon at any time and stashed him on their bench, if they were trying to win or not. They could have found a spot for him, and they didn't. I did.
What if I wasn't trying to win at all last year. Would I not be allowed to have any keepers?
You're either intentionally missing the point or you're being obtuse.

I'm not missing the point. Were you able to find a bench spot for him last year even though you were in the playoffs?
Learn to read. 

I'm not saying this because of where you finished in the standings.  I'm saying this because you took a player who was not drafted because he was ineligible to play for the entire season, didn't stash him on your roster, but rather just added him at the end of the year for the sole purpose of keeping him.