Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
I actually think the 2nd Hellraiser is vastly underrated, and I like that it peppers in some plot lines from the book that Part 1 ignored.

That said, it is all poop after #2 IMO.
Clive Barker doesn't do much for me. Hellraiser was decent, but nothing I'd ever care to watch again. The rest of his stuff kind of blows. That goes for his books too.

Actually as I was typing that, I remembered that Candyman was pretty good too.
Lord of Illusions was decent IMO. Nightbreed was a giant mess. Rawhead Rex was terrible, but fun. Midnight Meat Train the short story was much better than the movie, but I still enjoyed it. Same goes for Dread. Gods and Monsters (he produced it) was surprisingly good, but not horror. Yeah, I'm still a Clive Barker fanboy.
I just watched REC 3 and it sucked ass.
That's disappointing. Where did you get it?
[quote name='BT' timestamp='1346938618' post='195466']

That's disappointing. Where did you get it?

[/quote]

For some reason there's some movie channel on Dish that is showing it right now before it hits theaters. I guess we get that instead of AMC? I was flipping through the guide and saw REC 3 and recorded it. There were some fun moments, but overall it was just a boring retread.
I'll have to check comcast, but I doubt it's there.
That would be HDNet Movies or AXS which I can't make heads or tails of these days. And I also have heard from several people that REC 3 was terrible, and almost didn't fit into the series.
[quote name='rok' timestamp='1346950380' post='195496']

That would be HDNet Movies or AXS which I can't make heads or tails of these days. And I also have heard from several people that REC 3 was terrible, and almost didn't fit into the series.

[/quote]

Yeah. It's playing on HDNet Movies. And it isn't really worth bothering with.
Just watched "The Tall Man" from the writer/director of "Martyrs", Pascal Laugier. It wasn't actually a horror movie at all, and not even much of a thriller as the trailer suggested, but it still was extremely well made and had a general creepiness that carried it longer than it probably should have. That said, I wouldn't recommend it because parts of it will definitely piss a lot of people off. The actual premise, once it is revealed, is far-fetched but handled tastefully, although it sort of devolves into heavy-handed social commentary at the end. Anyway, at least this guy is taking chances and has put out 3 fairly unique movies, each pretty ambitious in their own right, in a short career. Oh, and Jessica Biel is NOT attractive in this at all, and isn't supposed to be.
I finally got around to watching REC 2 and it made REC 3 that much more disappointing to me. I thought it was fantastic -- not quite as good as the original, or as scary, but still quite well done.
Yeah, I thought it was one of the more original horror sequels I've ever seen. It didn't try to recreate the first one, and actually sort of went off the rails, but in a good, risky way. I still haven't watched part 3 yet.
I liked REC 2, but I saw it a while ago, and if I remember correctly I had one complaint in that it had stupid teenagers in it needlessly screwing things up.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CYNcE50-7mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeez. Well...this looks disturbing...
Did you ever see the original Maniac? It was crudely made but effective for its time. I know it left a lasting impression on me. It shared many of the same elements seen in that trailer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33