Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Watched one on Netflix over the weekend that had an interesting take on the whole zombie genre: The Returned. Most zombie movies are centered around the initial outbreak, as chaos ensues. This movie takes place years after the initial outbreak, and how modern medicine has the virus "contained"....just as long as the infected take daily doses of the vaccination. Essentially the newly infected have to take the vaccination within 36 hours of being bitten, then they are able to "return" to being normal...hence the name of the movie.

The movie itself wasn't great, but not horrible either. I was more intrigued on the angle they took...something a little different.

I thought the Sacrament is pretty meh. Ti West strikes again.
Quote:I thought the Sacrament is pretty meh. Ti West strikes again.

To think that shit actually happened though is what got me.

The only big difference being replace the TV reporter with a US Senator. Crazy shit.

Yeah, the documentary sounds way more interesting than this ended up being. My expectations were pretty low at least.
This is getting really good reviews...

http://youtu.be/k5WQZzDRVtw
I've been following it for a while now, and I just read one review this morning that called Babadook the "finest horror movie" of the new century. I don't know if I buy that, but still want to see it badly.

Also, just watched both "A Field in England" and "Found.",and while I wouldn't call either of them great or recommend them to casual horror fans, both were.....unique and unsettling to say the least.

I watched The Babadook last night and it was really good. They don't rely on cheap jump scares -- mostly atmosphere and creeping dread. Several moments gave me straight-up chills. I highly recommend it.

Quote:I watched The Babadook last night and it was really good. They don't rely on cheap jump scares -- mostly atmosphere and creeping dread. Several moments gave me straight-up chills. I highly recommend it.

Agreed...very frightening and disturbing at times. It struck home a little for me, considering I have a kid about the same age that likes to test our patients as well.

This is one is going to stick with me for awhile.

Great recommendation!

Glad you liked it, my friend...

I saw "Proxy" today, and while it barely qualifies as horror, and it wasn't great, it was different, and contained some truly awful material. Joe Swanberg was the only recognizable face (and in fact recognizing him sort of ruined part of the movie for me), but the 2 main actresses were good. You should go into the movie cold, as the awfulness starts pretty early, but it does drag at times. Without going too much into it, it has to do with how women deal with maternity, in a way. Moderate thumbs up.
It's been in my queue for ages, and have heard decent things. Thanks for the tip.
After that one segment in V/H/S 2, I might be done with horror. Not so much that it scarred me, but because I don't think it can ever be topped.

It actually gives me hope, but at the same time was a reminder of how lacking in originality the genre has become in recent years. The next great horror movies won't come from actual horror directors.
Not sure about this one.

http://youtu.be/YCmAaNk_iIQ
Makes me just want to watch the original.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33