Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Quote:Love Ex-Machina and Portman, but the trailer for Annihilation did nothing for me. Hope its good.

The book's critics have described it as incomprehensible but doubt if Garland would have taken the project without having a direction and understanding of how to make it work. 
I saw mother! last night. I'm not sure what to think about it. It was clearly allegorical and it was really interesting. I've been thinking about it a lot and trying to figure out if it totally worked for me. That said, I like that Aaronofsky takes risks. Hollywood needs more original voices to balance out all of the garbage it cranks out.

Side note. Anyone heard of MoviePass? If you see more than one movie in the theater a month, it's 100% worth it. You pay $10 a month and you can see as many movies as you want, basically (one movie a day). They send you a debit card, you activate it with an app, and it pays for one ticket. It's kind of magical. I'm not sure how exactly this business model is profitable, but I'm going to ride it out until they go bankrupt. I just got my card last night and it works just like they described. I almost feel like I'm getting away with something...

I have heard of moviepass, but also read that some theater chains are trying to find a way to kill it. Otherwise I would do it in a heartbeat. Have you had any issues with it being accepted anywhere?

And I definitely plan to go see mother! soon, so thanks for sharing your thoughts, Butch. I expect it to be challenging.
I know theres one theater chain in particular that doesnt take it, but all the theaters close to me take it except Glenview. And that isnt all that close. I cant remwber which chain it is, though.
Pretty much all the chains nearby are AMC-owned. They seem to have bought out all their competitors in recent years. I wonder if moviepass works with any of the independents.
It works at Music Box, the Brew and View, and Facets. Also works at all the AMC theaters.
I don't understand why the movie theaters care. From what I understand, the card pays the theater full price for the ticket, so the theater isn't losing out on any money (how could they, they aren't agreeing to this reduced fare?). Plus theaters make almost no profit off ticket sales, at least during their first week or two.  All this pass will do is get more people off the couch and into the theater, where they will buy concessions where the theaters make their real profits. 

Watched "The Babysitter" tonight. Kind of a fun movie. Despite the fact McG directed it, it didn't suck to high heaven. It's in no way scary, but the lead chick is hot, and it moves along pretty quickly. 

https://youtu.be/sIF9SN4YzXc

I thought the first Creep was pretty funny and surprisingly good for what it was. This has some potential...

Agreed. It was a very nice surprise. Definitely looking forward to the sequel.
I think we talked about Moviepass briefly in this thread a while back, so I'm posting this here. Fuck AMC.

http://www.slashfilm.com/amc-theatres-mo...trictions/

Also, It Comes At Night was one of the most disappointing movies (not just of the horror genre which it most certainly was not, false advertising) that I have ever seen.
Quote:I think we talked about Moviepass briefly in this thread a while back, so I'm posting this here. Fuck AMC.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.slashfilm.com/amc-theatres-moviepass-restrictions/" title="External link">http://www.slashfilm.com/amc-theatres-moviepass-restrictions/</a>

Also, It Comes At Night was one of the most disappointing movies (not just of the horror genre which it most certainly was not, false advertising) that I have ever seen.

Really? I liked it.
Didn't care for it. I really really really wanted to like it, but it bored me to tears and the ending pissed me off.
Everything I've read about Hereditary (the Sundance horror film) has been outstanding. I can't wait for that one...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33