Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Checked Creep out on Netflix over the weekend. Very creepy indeed. The cheap pop-up scares were a little over the top, but not bad overall. Always nice to find a gem like that on Netflix.

I see Human Centipede is on there, but I can't bring myself to watch it hearing how disturbing it is.

Tis ths season, with halloween just around the corner.

I really liked Creep as well. Big fan of the Duplasses. And I still believe the first Human Centipede was a dark comedy, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Won't bother with the sequels though.
I watched human centipede 2. It was pretty wretched. I have no interest in the 3rd.
The first Centipede was actually much better than I thought it would be. It isn't a happy movie though. I don't recommend it if you're suicidal.

I won't watch the sequels.

Quote:Watched "What We Do in the Shadows" last night and really enjoyed it. Anyone who was a fan of Flight of the Conchords and Jemaine Clement in general probably will like it. Not scary but an original and very funny mockumentary of vampire life in New Zealand. Not quite sure why this went relatively unnoticed when it came out last year. 4/5 stars

Glad I read this a few weeks ago, because this movie would have went unnoticed for me. I found the movie at a Red Box down the street from me. It was probably the best $1.50 I've ever spent.

The whole scene when the group first interacts with the werewolves was fantastic. "It's count Fagula"

Brilliant! 
Saw The Witch last night. Really, really good. Not at all your typical horror movie; more "arthouse" horror. Anyway...I recommend it. Fiercely.

I've heard nothing but great things about The Witch, so I need to get off my ass and see it. The more subtle creepy horror is my favorite kind anyway.

Also forgot to post this, but finally saw "We Are Still Here" over the weekend. Pleasantly surprised by it, though I could have done without the digital fx (spirits looked like charcoal people). Really liked the practical blood and guts when utilized, along with the early 80's vibe and the cast of old people.
Yeah, it's super creepy. Definitely not a scare you out of your seat type of horror movie. But you'll probably leave the theater with a strong sense of discomfort that lingers for days...

Quote:Yeah, it's super creepy. Definitely not a scare you out of your seat type of horror movie. But you'll probably leave the theater with a strong sense of discomfort that lingers for days...

I recently read a review saying that The Witch was the best movie they'd never want to see again.
That's pretty accurate.
Loved it. Definitely not horror in the modern sense, but man it's going to stay with me for a while. I appreciated that Eggers allowed the camera to linger during each scene just long enough to let your mind wander and allow your imagination to take over. It's such a fine line, and normally when you watch a movie like this you walk away feeling cheated. That wasn't at all the case here.
I watched "The Gift" over the weekend, not really knowing what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. It occupies more of the unsettling and dark thriller category than horror, but didn't know where else to mention it. There's essentially zero violence in it, and is sort of a slow burn, but has a solid cast with Bateman, Edgerton and Rebecca Hall, who all play people deeply troubled by their pasts. Anyway, kind of surprised that it was overlooked in 2015. Hopefully Edgerton is able to direct more films in the future.
I thought The Gift was great. Some very good against type casting. Definitely not horror, but more of a psychological thriller. Everyone was good in it. 

I don't know if I was in the wrong mood at the time, but I laughed through most of The Gift.

I think you are confusing it with "The Toy". Which is odd, because that wasn't that funny either. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33