Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Just watched "The Void". It was...something else. I'd say you've never seen anything like it before, except it has pieces of "Halloween 2", "Prince of Darkness", "Halloween", "In the Mouth of Madness", "The Thing",  and quite a few other movies tossed in. But it's not derivative. The first half hour is pretty fantastic. The rest is completely watchable, but made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. But if you are into blood, gore, and practical creature effects, this is right up your alley. 

I was just reading a solid review of this earlier tonight. Is it streaming already?
I saw it on another site. Its not a download site, it's a streaming site, but it's not netflix.
So Colossal, the monster comedy with an A-list cast, is getting really good buzz. It's from the director behind Timecrimes, VHS Viral etc., so I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/colossal-plea/
The independent cinema in my town does a cool little horror movie festival every year. This year's lineup is pretty good http://www.dca.org.uk/whats-on/films/dundead
That's cool. I see there's multiple movies per day. Do you pay per movie, or is it one fee per day (all-you-can-watch)?

You can buy a weekend pass that gets you into all the movies and a horror movie quiz for 75 quid. You get a tshirt with that as well I think. Or you can get a 6 movie pass for 39. Or you can just pay individually.

My Mrs loves horror movies so we'll probably get the 6 movie passes.

I want to go to the shining, seems a bit odd they are showing it at 11am on a Sunday though!
I watched Ouija: Origin of Evil last night, based on a lot of good reviews. I thought it was decent, nothing to write home about. I was trying to decide between Ouija and The Void. I'm wishing I watched The Void instead...
Yeah, I'm not watching that.

(Ouija, that is)
I watched "The Love Witch" the other night, and just had to post a warning in case anyone had read rave reviews about it. This was a 2 hour ordeal billing itself as a "feminist empowerment" film. Not even close. The film peddles pre-feminist feminism adapted into a 2nd rate 60's occult b-movie. It doesn't really work as either homage or parody. The lead actress was great, but the rest of the cast were one-dimensional and awful, and the vintage set designs were completely wasted. I'm truly stunned that this movie was this well received within both horror and indie circles.
I saw the trailer for that movie, wasn't sure if it was just a joke or not.
I watched "The Triangle". It's a fake documentary style movie about a group of filmmakers who travel to a commune/cult to help an old friend of theirs. From there, you pretty much know where it's going, except you have no fucking clue where it's going. It's not that scary, but it gets huge points for originality. Fans of a tidy ending should steer clear. 

I've heard about it, but have held off given the mixed reviews. Man, I've really been down on horror for several years now. I barely watch any indie horror at all, it's been so bad. Seems everything "new" that comes out these days is either lazy found footage, derivative horror comedy, or retro 70's/80's homage. Don't have the patience for it anymore.
It Comes at Night was quite good.

I don't want to oversell "The Triangle", but it's rare I had no idea what was coming. It's not mind blowing or anything. And again, it's a bit tense, but never really scary. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33