Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
I am gearing up to watch The Babadook. I was going to try to watch it tonight but the damn Cubs are on soon. So maybe after or at the latest tomorrow night. Really excited, and I hardly ever get excited for horror movies.

Just watched it. Once I got over how Fucking annoying that kid was in the early going, it was great. Excellent tension and just pure dread building. But damn that kid sucked.
Quote:Just watched it. Once I got over how Fucking annoying that kid was in the early going, it was great. Excellent tension and just pure dread building. But damn that kid sucked.

Haha. I think you're kinda supposed to feel that way about the kid. At least at first.

It does build dread quite nicely. And it gave me chills a number of times, too. Really effective horror flick...
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="nakedman1664" data-cid="240357" data-time="1429142185">
<div>
Just watched it. Once I got over how Fucking annoying that kid was in the early going, it was great. Excellent tension and just pure dread building. But damn that kid sucked.

Haha. I think you're kinda supposed to feel that way about the kid. At least at first.

It does build dread quite nicely. And it gave me chills a number of times, too. Really effective horror flick...

</div>
</blockquote>

Just watched it. I sort of felt the complete opposite. The kid was definitely annoying to begin with, but by the end of the movie, I thought he was the best thing in it. He almost brought me to tears. But I'm a bit tipsy and my heart swells when my kids fart, so maybe I'm an easy mark. 
I agree. He was annoying, but only at first. Once his mom starts losing her shit, I felt really bad for the poor kid.
Finally watched Babadook tonight. Very well made, but wasn't exactly blown away. I got the ending, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. Couldn't see myself ever watching it again.
Quote:I agree. He was annoying, but only at first. Once his mom starts losing her shit, I felt really bad for the poor kid.
Yep, that nailed it. And like you said earlier, I think you are supposed to feel like that about him. All that screaming early on was just awful, I didn't know how much longer I could have heard him screaming MOMMY. 
Just watched "The Guest" which has some ties to "It Follows". It's a lot of fun. Plus, Lance Reddick.

The Guest is awesome. Threw me for several loops.
Windgard is quickly becoming one of my favorite genre directors. Still need to sit down and watch The Guest, as I've had a copy of it sitting for weeks.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Butcher" data-cid="240479" data-time="1429154538">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="nakedman1664" data-cid="240357" data-time="1429142185">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

Just watched it. I sort of felt the complete opposite. The kid was definitely annoying to begin with, but by the end of the movie, I thought he was the best thing in it. He almost brought me to tears. But I'm a bit tipsy and my heart swells when my kids fart, so maybe I'm an easy mark

</div>
</blockquote>

I know the feeling having a daughter (roughly) the same age as that kid. I know how kids can act sometimes just to get attention. Even though I'm not a single parent, and my wife and I both have decent jobs, I still have that fear of not being able to provide for my daughter and give her a good childhood. I guess for those reasons this film hit home for me. I just felt really bad for the kid (at times) and mom for what they have to go through.

This was up there as one of my favorite horror flicks. It wasn't the scariest movie I've ever seen, but it has a rare balance of solid acting, a great story line and terror which just hooked me. I would definitely watch this again.

I watched Zombeavers the other night. Pretty bad. The first 3 minutes are pretty funny though. Also, the monsters are all done with practical effects, which was nice, but they didn't spend a ton of money on them. I'm trying to figure out if that was intentional or not. 

In short, it's on Netflix, and I'd definitely recommend everything up to the opening credits. Then, not so much. 

Haha. I also watched Zombeavers on Netflix over the weekend. It was essentially a one-joke movie. I'd actually recommend just watching the trailer -- you get just as many laughs and pretty much the entire story compressed into 2 minutes.

Glad I didn't watch it. Was planning on doing so eventually, but having already seen the trailer think I will take your advice and skip this.
Does anyone watch the Showtime series, Penny Dreadful? Someone whose opinion I respect just recommended it to me...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33