Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Just watched "The Invitation" tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Not pure horror, but still tense and unsettling in very subtle ways. Had me guessing throughout. Definitely the best work Karyn Kusama has done in her career.
Quote:Just watched "The Invitation" tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Not pure horror, but still tense and unsettling in very subtle ways. Had me guessing throughout. Definitely the best work Karyn Kusama has done in her career.

Yeah I thought that was a creepy little movie. I liked it quite a bit.
"Get Out" from Jordan Peele is getting some interesting buzz. Been looking forward to this for a while now.
Quote:"Get Out" from Jordan Peele is getting some interesting buzz. Been looking forward to this for a while now.

Everything I've read about it makes me more excited to see it...
Went to see "A Cure for Wellness" last night. Thought the first 1/2 was excellent, moody and visually stunning, but the second half dragged quite a bit and devolved into standard horror fare. I want to give it 3 stars, but it only deserves 2.
I watched XX last night. I was intrigued to see what Annie Clarke would do and her segment was interesting and funny -- not at all scary. And the first segment had some good moments. But overall it was pretty weak. Not worth the time investment, imo.
I thought I wore out all of the decent horrors on Netflix, then I had Sinister recommended to me. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. After the first 20-30 minutes I thought I had the movie figured out, then it took a turn I didn't see coming. Fun horror, some parts are kind of disturbing.

There's something about movies containing old 8mm footage that makes everything more suspenseful, IMO.

The "snuff films" in that movie were particularly disturbing.

I thought it was just ok. Didn't think much of the story, but the imagery was definitely creepy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLJ7TH4ybw

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it's been getting really good reviews. I'm super-psyched. Of course, not in Chicago this weekend, but hopefully soon...

I'm seeing Raw at the Music Box on Sunday. Pretty psyched...

Wanted to go see Raw last night but caught Belko Experiment instead. Although it had its moments during the 1st half, assembled a great cast, and was written & produced by James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy, Slither), the twist was just dumb and executed poorly. Very disappointing.
I saw Raw last night. It wasn't nearly as gory as I anticipated (I read articles about people vomiting at various film fests). It was definitely visceral and bloody, but by French horror standards, nothing too crazy.

But, that aspect out of the way...what a great movie. There was actually quite a bit of humor throughout. The lead actress was amazing. Going from totally naive to...well...something else. Pretty impressive transformation onscreen. Definitely worth checking out if you get an opportunity.

Interesting. Sounds a bit like Starry Eyes. I'm planning to go see this soon. Thanks for the review, Butch.
Quote:Interesting. Sounds a bit like Starry Eyes. I'm planning to go see this soon. Thanks for the review, Butch.

I saw Starry Eyes... There are some minor similarities, but it's a very different movie with very different themes.

I think you'll like it a lot. I look forward to your review...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33