Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Shit. I didnt.
Anyone else excited for the new Halloween? The original is my favorite horror film, and this one looks like it has potential to be a good one. I am excited that they are making it a direct sequel, and that Carpenter came back to do the score for this one.

I'll definitely go see it. David Gordon Green and Danny McBride have a pretty good track record, and they both love the original, so I'm optimistic.
Soooo, went to see Halloween late last night. Maybe I'm too cynical about sequels in general, but I thought it was just ok. I enjoyed it for sure, but was expecting a little something more, maybe a twist of some sort, anything to set it apart from the surprisingly similar setup of H20. Still contend that Halloween II and III (yes Season of the Witch) are the best sequels in the series.
Well, Suspiria was a bit of a letdown. Could have trimmed at least 45 minutes without even noticing. The final 30 minutes picks up considerably and almost saves it. Almost.
Quote:Soooo, went to see Halloween late last night. Maybe I'm too cynical about sequels in general, but I thought it was just ok. I enjoyed it for sure, but was expecting a little something more, maybe a twist of some sort, anything to set it apart from the surprisingly similar setup of H20. Still contend that Halloween II and III (yes Season of the Witch) are the best sequels in the series.

I liked it quite a bit. I thought everything was pretty solid. Direction, writing, acting. Every character (almost) mattered, you felt a bit for the cannon fodder, and they still kept a mystique around Michael Myers. He's such a better character than Jason, and I think it really shows here. 

My small complaints is that the subplot with the boyfriend really went nowhere, once the bus crashed it's pretty unlikely people would still be treating Laurie like a loon, and the boyfriend's friend made a mistake, but it seemed like they were almost trying to make him out to be a rapist. 

One other note, Carpenter's music is virtually a character unto itself. It really holds up even 40 years later. Also, Halloween 2 and 3 are criminally underrated, especially when compared to almost everything else that came out at the time. 
Follow-up to Nightcrawler, so really looking forward to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxMLxO0ggk
Im in.
From the director of Hereditary. Looks like it has a Picnic at Hanging Rock mixed with Wicker Man and Holy Mountain kind of vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0UWIya-O0s
Just throwing it out there, but Jordan Peele's new horror movie, Us, looks like it could be fantastic.

And I'll watch anything made by the director of Hereditary...

I have high hopes for anything that Peele touches, but for some reason I'm not as excited about "Us" than I was when "Get Out" was released. Not sure why, but I'm trying not to read too much into the trailers.
Quote:I have high hopes for anything that Peele touches, but for some reason I'm not as excited about "Us" than I was when "Get Out" was released. Not sure why, but I'm trying not to read too much into the trailers.

Really? The trailers have me totally psyched.
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="341662" data-time="1551826494">
I have high hopes for anything that Peele touches, but for some reason I'm not as excited about "Us" than I was when "Get Out" was released. Not sure why, but I'm trying not to read too much into the trailers.

Really? The trailers have me totally psyched.</blockquote>
Whenever trailers seem to give away too much of the plot, I just scratch my head. Maybe it's intentional to throw genre fans a curve ball, but it still annoys me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to it, and will run to the theater when it comes out in a few weeks, but my expectations are a bit lower than Get Out, which I loved.
Get Out set an insanely high bar.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33