Sons of Ivy

Full Version: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
I had no idea there was a third Insidious. I saw the first one and thought it was quite good. But IIRC, the second installment got pretty bad reviews. It's possible my memory is failing me, though.

Yeah it did. It's certainly the weakest. I thought the third one improved quite a bit though.
I've only seen the first 2. Didn't bother with part 3. I'm starting to get this and the Conjuring series mixed up at this point.
Quote:I've only seen the first 2. Didn't bother with part 3. I'm starting to get this and the Conjuring series mixed up at this point.

Doesn't help the same lead actor is in both series.
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="277022" data-time="1463484668">
I've only seen the first 2. Didn't bother with part 3. I'm starting to get this and the Conjuring series mixed up at this point.
Doesn't help the same lead actor is in both series.</blockquote>Also didn't the leading lady from Conjuring play the younger version of the clairvoyant in the Insidious sequels' flashback sequences? They need to stop it.
I noticed yesterday that We Are Still Here is on Netflix now.

For those who have, is this worth watching? I remember hearing some chatter about it when it came out last year.

I liked it, but it is VERY low budget. The ghosts are kind of lame, but I though it was well done.

On an unrelated note, just watched "High-Rise" last night. Loved the 1st half, but couldn't have hated the 2nd half more. No idea what I just experienced.
Oh and I so want this movie to not suck.

https://youtu.be/nQ0yLXmUiV8
Just watched "Southbound," another indie horror anthology. Really liked it for the most part, but much of it just didn't add up. I don't need everything to make perfect sense or for all loose ends to be tied up neatly for a film to work, but omitting large chunks of story really comes off as sloppy if you're attempting to weave 4-5 different sub-plots into something meaningful and semi-cohesive. Anyway, still enjoyed it overall so I guess I'm recommending it.
Yeah. I thought it was pretty uneven, but I loved the one with the accident in the middle of the highway and the abandoned hospital. That one was creepy as hell and really effective, I thought.
Agreed. I also thought the girl band segment that led to the accident story was pretty creepy, and the final wrap-up segment at the hotel also had a lot of potential but just didn't make much sense. Who was the little girl and what was the deal with her parents? A few tweaks and some deeper character exploration would have been helpful.
Yeah. Agree on both counts. Smile
I watched "They Look Like People" on Netflix last night. Kind of a dumb title, but I enjoyed it. Interesting exploration of mental illness that keeps you guessing until the end. Not a lot "happens" on screen, but it builds tension really well. Nice little movie done on a shoestring budget...

For fans of the British rail system, I recently saw 2 movies that might interest you. 

"Last Passenger" with Dougray Scott is a nice little suspense flick about some people stuck on an English train that stops making stops. Not a big budget, but keeps you interested. 

"Howl" is a horror movie about a group of people stranded on a English train broken down in the woods in the middle of the night. The title of the movie will probably tell you what happens next, but it's basically a siege movie with some good performances, and a few surprises. 

Watched the Turkish attempt at artsy horror, Baskin, last night. I have no idea why I didn't turn it off after 45 minutes, but there was no payoff in the end, and it was an excruciating experience pretty much every step of the way. An overly confusing, mean-spirited mess. Stay away.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33