Sons of Ivy

Full Version: 2024 Cubs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
(12-06-2023, 02:03 PM)BigBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2023, 03:21 PM)Butcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2023, 03:08 PM)BigBoy Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, Cubs have too many gaps with their roster for me to feel great about potentially signing Ohtani. Maybe I'm being short sighted in the impact he would bring to the Cubs, even if they did little else to the roster this offseason.

I would love for him to go to Toronto.

Holy fucking shit. BigBoy?!?!?!

Also, I kind of agree. We need 3B, 1B, CF, a bullpen, at least one starting pitcher.

Ohtani doesn't fill any of those needs.

Butchie! Indeed it is. I still get on here for my Cubs news, and truthfully I forgot my login for a while.

Good to see you on here, man.

Now that Twitter is dying a slow and painful death, I rarely visit there. I wish it would get more active here (it will never be like the old days, obviously) because right now there isn't a great Twitter alternative for Cubs stuff. But I still check in here most days to see if anything is going on.
(12-06-2023, 02:05 PM)funkster Wrote: [ -> ]They gave up a lot for a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They must assume they'll be able to extend him.
(12-06-2023, 02:56 PM)Butcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2023, 02:05 PM)funkster Wrote: [ -> ]They gave up a lot for a rental.

They must assume they'll be able to extend him.

It’s the Yankees.  They can afford to pay him whatever he’s seeking and paired with RH Judge provides great left handed power Yankees - or any another big market team - could use
Who's going to pitch for them or do they plan to HR their way to 3rd place?

Yankees offense was more broken than pitching last season so they are adding one of the best bats in MLB

Yup, pitching is still an issue but doubt if Yankees are done with additions

More concerned that Cubs don’t have answer at either corner infield positions and Canderaio signed a 3 year deal with Reds. Cubs know him from minors and his short injury filled September so I’ll trust he wasn’t the right answer but damn hoping that they do something to shore up those gapping holes in roster
Matt Chapman!

(12-07-2023, 09:46 AM)funkster Wrote: [ -> ]Matt Chapman!

Wait...what?
Got excited for sec. Don't see anything about him new... I'm not on X though.
Sounds like the Ohtani decision could go down today.

Good. Let’s get on with it.
Sorry, i was joking. Because if we sign Matt Chapman i will not be excited. I fully expect that theyre going to try Morel at 3rd, which im ok with...i like him.

Nothing against Toronto, ive heard it's a wonderful city. I just have a hard time getting excited about anything Canadian baseball related. Its personally going to be weird for me if biggest talent in generations goes to the Blue Jays.
That makes sense. I just think going to the Dodgers would be the most expected and boring outcome. But that’s what’s going to happen so let’s just get on with it.
Definitely sounds like it's the Jays. Wha wha.

But now reports that he hasn't decided? The whole thing is dumb.
The more I think about it, the more I get Toronto, even if to Funk's point it isn't exciting as a fan of MLB. Toronto is very international, the stadium is similar to Japanese stadiums in terms of being indoor often and temp controlled. The city isn't exactly sparkling, but I suppose it's more similar to cities in Japan in terms of less violent crime, the way it's kept, etc. Plus in reading about him, he's a pretty private dude and has lived fairly isolated, so Anaheim as opposed to LA and Toronto as opposed to the NYC teams or Boston, makes sense.

I've come to terms with the Cubs almost certainly being out of it, and happy not to have to worry about the risk in some ways. I would LOVE for the dodgers not to get him, they have become the Yankees of the 90s/early 2000s and they shouldn't be able to sign everyone. I do worry thought that they'll now be an obstacle in other things the Cubs may want to do.

Finally, if the Jays are being used simply to further bid up the Dodgers and he ends up there, at least they would have spent even more to get him I suppose.

Oh, and on Chapman, I don't know how I'd feel if we got him, would depend on the terms obviously. I too like Morel, but we need someone at one of the corner IF positions we know will give consistent power and clean (if not spectacular) defense. Granted he got hurt, but had the Cubs had Rizzo as the one guy from the core who stuck around to bridge to the next group, that would have been nice. Lefty in Yankee stadium and all, but his '22 was really good and he may have another few good years in him if he gets/stays healthy. Oh well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27