Sons of Ivy

Full Version: 2024 Cubs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
IMO, Cubs have too many gaps with their roster for me to feel great about potentially signing Ohtani. Maybe I'm being short sighted in the impact he would bring to the Cubs, even if they did little else to the roster this offseason.

I would love for him to go to Toronto.
Nightengale throwing some real cold water today, but also he doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground so there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, if they can’t get Ohtani the cubs need to find a big bat somewhere. And Rhys Hoskins definitely ain’t it .

(12-05-2023, 03:08 PM)BigBoy Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, Cubs have too many gaps with their roster for me to feel great about potentially signing Ohtani. Maybe I'm being short sighted in the impact he would bring to the Cubs, even if they did little else to the roster this offseason.

Holy fucking shit. BigBoy?!?!?!

Also, I kind of agree. We need 3B, 1B, CF, a bullpen, at least one starting pitcher.

Ohtani doesn't fill any of those needs.
Slightly bummed that the Blue Jays seemed to stay in the Ohtani ring longer than the Cubs but guess after a few dozen beers or so I’ll move on to my next gripe

Now get off my lawn

Happy Holidays and Hot Stove League to all
I've said it before, but I won't be too upset if the Cubs don't sign him. Realistically (when taking everything into consideration), they're probably better off not getting him. That contract is going to be rough and he's going to be on the wrong side of 30 pretty quickly. And it isn't like we're one piece away.

But also, Hoskins is definitely not the answer as you mentioned, Funk.

I know our farm is ranked high, but I fear that it's mostly because of depth and not high-impact quality. I don't know that there's anyone who is going to come up and make a significant impact immediately but I've also seen comments along the lines of "we don't want to sign players who are going to block our prospects." So...that feels kind of like, "don't expect any big free agent signings."
The problem is there isn’t any real big FA position players so I suppose it doesn’t matter.

(12-05-2023, 04:32 PM)funkster Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is there isn’t any real big FA position players so I suppose it doesn’t matter.

We're fucked.
wtf is going on? Hoyer confronting Nightengale? He’s such a hack.

My expectation is that we sign Hoskins and Chapman and then trade for Glasnow and Clase. Don't see any of these big name FAs taking a discount to come here.

Yeah pretty meh on both, if those are the two I’m going to be deeply disappointed.

There goes Soto.

To the Yankees? Maybe this takes them out of the Bellinger bidding...
(12-05-2023, 03:21 PM)Butcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2023, 03:08 PM)BigBoy Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, Cubs have too many gaps with their roster for me to feel great about potentially signing Ohtani. Maybe I'm being short sighted in the impact he would bring to the Cubs, even if they did little else to the roster this offseason.

Holy fucking shit. BigBoy?!?!?!

Also, I kind of agree. We need 3B, 1B, CF, a bullpen, at least one starting pitcher.

Ohtani doesn't fill any of those needs.

Butchie! Indeed it is. I still get on here for my Cubs news, and truthfully I forgot my login for a while.
They gave up a lot for a rental.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27