Sons of Ivy

Full Version: 2024 Cubs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Wow cubs getting Michael Busch from the Dodgers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-11-2024, 02:12 PM)funkster Wrote: [ -> ]Wow cubs getting Michael Busch from the Dodgers

And Yency Almonte so Cubs getting a 3rd baseman and a reliever from Dodgers
Sigh of course it’s Jackson Ferris.

I don't know any of these names.
Michael Busch was the Dodgers top prospect a few years ago, huge bat. Ferris think Dylan Cease a year before the trade with the white Sox.

Busch -- looks like a promising prospect. Almonte looks like he's terrible every other season. Ferris looks like he could be a stud -- only 19 years old and nice single-A numbers. I hope we aren't regretting this in a few years.
If it wasn't a trade with the Dodgers (or say the Braves or Rays) I would be stoked, but what are the chances the Cubs got one over on the Dodgers? Well, actually, maybe pretty good because the Dodgers are so loaded Busch could simply be blocked there. From the reports, it sounds like Busch is more of a first baseman than third, that he's better suited for 1B. With Freeman there, Ohtani now the DH, and Muncy at third through 2025, Busch would have a hard time getting in the lineup. So this could be the Cubs taking advantage of the Dodger's situation, or a deal that's good for both teams.

Regardless, this is a huge twist for the Cubs off season. It seemed almost certain that the Cubs would sign Hoskins to a pillow deal to play 1B. Maybe Busch is now the opening day starter there and Chapman at 3B is the more likely target. Belli made a lot of sense, as you don't break camp with PCA in center if you don't want to, and when he's ready you put Belli at 1B. But again, this impacts things there as well.

Obviously this means nothing until we see if Busch can hit at the MLB level, but this could end up being one hell of a move. BA had him as the Dodgers' top prospect entering 2024, other services have him at 2. Ferris may be a stud, but if you had to bet on one of them working out, particularly if arm surgery is almost inevitable these days for pitchers, I think Busch is the much safer bet.

A baseball prospectus take:

"The second of two first-rounders selected by LA in 2019, Busch has separated himself from Kody Hoese—a full-fledged bust at this point. If he played almost anywhere but in the Dodgers’ organization, Busch probably would have made his MLB debut by now. He had nothing left to prove in the minors after July, but he lacked the Veteran Presence many teams have come to love. That, and there was literally no playing time for him in Los Angeles. He’s a bat-first “second baseman” who might end up as a first baseman or left fielder. He’s heading into his age-25 season and has all the makings of the next Max Muncy—the rectangular one, not the teenager (coincidentally) drafted by the Athletics. And like the quadrilateral Dodger slugger, Busch is going to make it on the strength of his bat (even if Muncy’s defense is underrated by most)."

Obviously this before he played with the Dodgers last year a bit, but interesting about 2B.
The guy is an offensive beast and got almost no chance to play in the bigs. Sucks to lose Ferris, but this is a big move.

Yeah, this definitely has potential. (The Cease comparison is true and scary, but bat over arm any day)

I can’t wait to see what is next…

I’m hoping no Chapman, although with him and an eventual PCA we would be the best defense in baseball with a solid starting pitching staff for whatever that’s worth.

Rhys Hoskins I always liked with the Phillies. Could be our Matt Olsen. Idk if getting Busch changes our needs of both Hoskins and Beli though.

Beli agreement today/tomorrow would be awesome! So would Hader!

(01-11-2024, 04:37 PM)MrSheps Wrote: [ -> ]If it wasn't a trade with the Dodgers (or say the Braves or Rays) I would be stoked, but what are the chances the Cubs got one over on the Dodgers? Well, actually, maybe pretty good because the Dodgers are so loaded Busch could simply be blocked there. From the reports, it sounds like Busch is more of a first baseman than third, that he's better suited for 1B. With Freeman there, Ohtani now the DH, and Muncy at third through 2025, Busch would have a hard time getting in the lineup. So this could be the Cubs taking advantage of the Dodger's situation, or a deal that's good for both teams.

Regardless, this is a huge twist for the Cubs off season. It seemed almost certain that the Cubs would sign Hoskins to a pillow deal to play 1B. Maybe Busch is now the opening day starter there and Chapman at 3B is the more likely target. Belli made a lot of sense, as you don't break camp with PCA in center if you don't want to, and when he's ready you put Belli at 1B. But again, this impacts things there as well.

Obviously this means nothing until we see if Busch can hit at the MLB level, but this could end up being one hell of a move. BA had him as the Dodgers' top prospect entering 2024, other services have him at 2. Ferris may be a stud, but if you had to bet on one of them working out, particularly if arm surgery is almost inevitable these days for pitchers, I think Busch is the much safer bet.

A baseball prospectus take:

"The second of two first-rounders selected by LA in 2019, Busch has separated himself from Kody Hoese—a full-fledged bust at this point. If he played almost anywhere but in the Dodgers’ organization, Busch probably would have made his MLB debut by now. He had nothing left to prove in the minors after July, but he lacked the Veteran Presence many teams have come to love. That, and there was literally no playing time for him in Los Angeles. He’s a bat-first “second baseman” who might end up as a first baseman or left fielder. He’s heading into his age-25 season and has all the makings of the next Max Muncy—the rectangular one, not the teenager (coincidentally) drafted by the Athletics. And like the quadrilateral Dodger slugger, Busch is going to make it on the strength of his bat (even if Muncy’s defense is underrated by most)."

Obviously this before he played with the Dodgers last year a bit, but interesting about 2B.

2b is interesting. FYI, I just checked his College and high school and PG, and this guy has always been a first baseman, he was just clogged by Max Muncy who he profiles extremely similar to.

Are we sure that Busch isn’t another Mervis? I kid. Guess we’ll see what this means for the rest of the offseason, but still hoping we can re-sign Bellinger now. Losing Ferris sucks, but supposedly he has a weird delivery, so there’s no guarantee that he can stay healthy long-term.

We got Busch! We got Busch! Fuck yeah!

You guys still say that around here, or is that an obscure callback? Forgive me, it’s been a minute.

No clue if Busch can provide left handed power bat, corner infielder that this roster desperately requires. He’s an inexpensive - from $ perspective - option to close a hole in current roster.

Ferris was the best left handed pitching prospect in organization but is likely 3 years or more from making impact in majors.

Traded long term potential to close a current roster need
Only concern is his glove.

No idea how legit this Cubs podcast guy is…

https://x.com/crawlyscubs/status/1745648...24020?s=46

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27