Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood
<!--quoteo(post=743:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't understand why Wood would ever accept a 1 year deal for what, the 3rd year in a row? When he signs elsewhere for ridiculous money, you guys will change your minds.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
True, but we'd likely have more money to work with in 09 with the new ownership as he's well aware of. 1 more solid season with us, then he signs a 3 or 4 year deal with us, ends his career as a Cub. He really, really wanted to stay in Chicago. I brought this up months ago how I saw a thing with him and Sarah on CSN, she went on and on about how they love it, they love the schools for their kids, they wanted to stay there for good, etc. Kerry's not like most guys. It sucks that he has to go, but Hendry certainly didn't want this. He's as heartbroken as we are, but it's a business, and the Cubs are better off spending their money on a bat than Kerry.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=616:date=Dec 2 2008, 08:41 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 2 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=605:date=Dec 2 2008, 07:19 AM:name=coolpoppa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=602:date=Dec 2 2008, 07:16 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 2 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Gregg and Marmol = Wood and Marmol, so that's not the issue for me. I wanted the fucking draft picks, I don't care that Wood is gone, he's not a difference maker.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, there's that, too. The thing is, Wood may have taken arbritration. Worst case is, we have Gregg, Wood and Marmol... doesn't sound too bad.... otherwise, we get the picks. Seems to be a win/win to me.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think everyone is really facing facts that we are clearly operating with a finite budget. With options, I think Wood made close to $7 million last year and was relatively healthy. In arbitration, he would have made more than that. Spending $8-10 million for one year of Wood is not what you do when you have a set amount of money to spend.

Don't get me wrong, Wood has been my favorite Cub for years and I hate the thought of him going elsewhere. But this isn't about the Cubs being stubborn pricks, it's about the need to spend that money elsewhere. Plain and simple.
Bingo, well said Sleepy.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=755:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=743:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't understand why Wood would ever accept a 1 year deal for what, the 3rd year in a row? When he signs elsewhere for ridiculous money, you guys will change your minds.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
True, but we'd likely have more money to work with in 09 with the new ownership as he's well aware of. 1 more solid season with us, then he signs a 3 or 4 year deal with us, ends his career as a Cub. He really, really wanted to stay in Chicago. I brought this up months ago how I saw a thing with him and Sarah on CSN, she went on and on about how they love it, they love the schools for their kids, they wanted to stay there for good, etc. Kerry's not like most guys. It sucks that he has to go, but Hendry certainly didn't want this. He's as heartbroken as we are, but it's a business, and the Cubs are better off spending their money on a bat than Kerry.
I thought the Woods lived in Scottsdale during the offseason. If that incorrect? If so, their kids don't go to Chicago schools...
<!--quoteo(post=757:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:12 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 2 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=755:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=743:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't understand why Wood would ever accept a 1 year deal for what, the 3rd year in a row? When he signs elsewhere for ridiculous money, you guys will change your minds.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought the Woods lived in Scottsdale during the offseason. If that incorrect? If so, their kids don't go to Chicago schools...
I assure you Sarah talked about the schools in Chicago and how they love it there for their kids. I wish I could find the video, but I promise. She went on and on about how Kerry knows no other place outside of Chicago, as he's spent almost half his life there and he doesn't want it anyway else, that's where they met, etc. It's a special place to them and it's where they wanted to raise their kids. He would've accepted.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=759:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:14 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=757:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:12 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 2 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=755:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=743:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't understand why Wood would ever accept a 1 year deal for what, the 3rd year in a row? When he signs elsewhere for ridiculous money, you guys will change your minds.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I assure you Sarah talked about the schools in Chicago and how they love it there for their kids. I wish I could find the video, but I promise. She went on and on about how Kerry knows no other place outside of Chicago, as he's spent almost half his life there and he doesn't want it anyway else, that's where they met, etc. It's a special place to them and it's where they wanted to raise their kids. He would've accepted.
I wasn't doubting that she said it, or that you heard it -- I was just surprised because I thought they lived in Scottsdale.
Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Wood, 31, said he was "mentally prepared" for parting ways with the Cubs and was ready to accept it, although his wife, Sarah, took it harder. He said the family plans to continue to make its home in Chicago.

"We're Chicagoans," said Wood, who spoke on a media conference call.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=765:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Wood, 31, said he was "mentally prepared" for parting ways with the Cubs and was ready to accept it, although his wife, Sarah, took it harder. He said the family plans to continue to make its home in Chicago.

"We're Chicagoans," said Wood, who spoke on a media conference call.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't understand how that would work unless he signs with Milwaukee.
<!--quoteo(post=765:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Wood, 31, said he was "mentally prepared" for parting ways with the Cubs and was ready to accept it, although his wife, Sarah, took it harder. He said the family plans to continue to make its home in Chicago.

Well, damn. This makes me even more sad about it...
<!--quoteo(post=766:date=Dec 2 2008, 02:22 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=765:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:

Damn, that's a good point.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=766:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:22 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=765:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:

Most ballplayers families don't live in the same town where they play. Sarah is from Chicago, so they'll just live here. I don't think it matters where he signs.
<!--quoteo(post=777:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:47 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 2 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=766:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:22 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=765:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:

Most ballplayers families don't live in the same town where they play. Sarah is from Chicago, so they'll just live here. I don't think it matters where he signs.
That would make sense if this was always the arrangement with the Woods, but why split up the family now?
I'm just pissed about not getting any draft picks for Wood. I could care less if he ever played for the Cubs, he's only been a part time Cub for the better part of a decade anyway.
Some reports have Dusty interested in signing Wood which prompted the Yahoo Baseball blog to post this:

[Image: dustywood.jpg]
"Economy Impacting All Teams" From Olney

"Economy Uncertainty Shows In MLB-Wide Decisions" from River Ave. Blues, Good Blog

"Bad Economy Even Hurting The Yankees" From Rosenthal

It's becoming more and more obvious to me there's a great chance Wood would've taken this deal and then we'd be fucked. Hendry got scared off and made the right decision.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=777:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:47 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 2 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=766:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:22 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=765:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cool. And this was a couple weeks ago in the Sun-Times:

ummmm....sarahs from waukegan. just saying.
Wang.