Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood
<b>I can't imagine he would try to wiggle his way back onto the team. They should have took the draft picks. </b><i></i>

I'm with you on that. I've been a fairly strong supporter of Mr. Hendry's over the years, but he and the organization dropped the ball on this one. Losing an All-Star for not even the picks is indefensible. Having gotten rid of his salary (along with Howry & Eyre) from the pen doesn't guarantee we are any closer to getting Peavy or a LH hitting OF or a better lead-off option. This was a big gamble, and we may end up with no Wood, no picks, and no LH bat. Just because we have needs and a little extra payroll doesn't mean we can't end up bottom feeders in January if things aren't handled right. I would have much rather had given Wood the option, where our worse case scenarios were either the deepest pen in the N.L. or 2 draft picks.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
Hey, MBS! Good to see you. It's been a while.
Nice to be back...

Just in time to sit back and watch if we improve at the Winter Meetings next week or end up spectators. I'm also dying to see if Veal is Rule 5'd outta here come 12/7 (sinice he got left unprotected). Need to pull up a seat and stay tuned... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/popcorn.gif[/img]
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
<!--quoteo(post=671:date=Dec 2 2008, 10:06 AM:name=mindbodyspirit)-->QUOTE (mindbodyspirit @ Dec 2 2008, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nice to be back...

Just in time to sit back and watch if we improve at the Winter Meetings next week or end up spectators. I'm also dying to see if Veal is Rule 5'd outta here come 12/7 (sinice he got left unprotected). Need to pull up a seat and stay tuned... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/popcorn.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I can't wait to see the thread that gets started if Veal gets claimed...
I don't feel like there's much doubt that Veal would get claimed.

I didn't realize that Wood made that much last year. Makes me think of everything a bit differently. Wood for 8-10 Mill? Too much. I agree that I wish we had been upfront that it's a money issue not a contract length issue.

I love wood, but not for 8-10 mill.

Anyone else worried that we aren't going to improve ourselves this offseason?
Who's your daddy?
<!--quoteo(post=701:date=Dec 2 2008, 10:14 AM:name=coolpoppa)-->QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't feel like there's much doubt that Veal would get claimed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't have much doubt that he'll get returned to us when he can't make it on a ML roster because he can't throw strikes.
The reason that Veal isn't being put on the 40 man roster is because his mechanics are a complete mess. He's electric when he's on, but he can't get any control. He's a bit Rich Hill-esque in that manner. Lefty with top notch stuff that can't get any type of control (not to say their mechanics are ANYTHING alike).
I got nothin'.

Andy
I don't think I would like this, especially in our division, but Dusty would finish the job of ruining whatever's left of Woody's career. Trib link

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->chicagotribune.com

Reds' Dusty Baker wants to manage Kerry Wood again

Fred Mitchell

AROUND TOWN

10:13 PM CST, December 1, 2008

Kerry Wood answered the call from the bullpen last season for the Cubs, reinventing himself as a capable closer with 34 saves.

Will he pick up the phone when Dusty Baker from division foe Cincinnati calls him?

The Cubs decided to pass on offering Wood a multiyear deal to retain his services, so Baker says he plans to give Wood a call to check on his possible interest in signing with Cincinnati.

"We have a closer already in [ Francisco] Cordero, who we have under contract for a few more years," Baker said Monday. "But somebody can use Kerry Wood. I am going to call him. I like Kerry Wood as a person, not just as a ballplayer, but as a person. I will give him a call and see what's up."

Baker managed the Cubs when the oft-injured Wood provided glimpses of his potential as a hard-throwing starter before trying to reduce the strain on his arm and shoulder by pitching out of the bullpen as a setup man before becoming a closer.

Baker plans to consult with Reds general manager Walt Jocketty as the annual winter meetings commence next week in Las Vegas.

"We will probably address that while we are down there. It depends on a lot of stuff," Baker said. "I have to talk to Kerry first. He did a pretty good job for the Cubs."

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, who has been very close to Wood over the years, said it was in the best interests of Wood and his family to pursue a long-term contract elsewhere. Wood later indicated he would have discussed a one-year deal to remain in Chicago. There has been speculation that Cubs manager Lou Piniella became exasperated with Wood last season when he missed about a month with a blister on his right hand.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=703:date=Dec 2 2008, 11:15 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 2 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=701:date=Dec 2 2008, 10:14 AM:name=coolpoppa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't feel like there's much doubt that Veal would get claimed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't have much doubt that he'll get returned to us when he can't make it on a ML roster because he can't throw strikes.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Highly possible, agreed.
Who's your daddy?
<!--quoteo(post=709:date=Dec 2 2008, 10:24 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 2 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think I would like this, especially in our division, but Dusty would finish the job of ruining whatever's left of Woody's career.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm kinda curious to see how this pans out... If Wood doesn't take the offer, it would certainly be an indication of whether Dusty really is a "player's manager" or not.
<!--quoteo(post=582:date=Dec 2 2008, 07:52 AM:name=coolpoppa)-->QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I WOULD NOT like to see Wood play for a division rival.

What we would we have had to pay if we had offered arbritration?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just wish this would have happened before we traded for Gregg. If Gregg wasn't on the roster I am positive that Kerry would have been offered arbitration. What would you rather have? Kerry at 1 yr for around $6-7M or Gregg for year at $4M plus Ceda. It's a no-brainer. Hendry fucked up. That's the only way I'm looking at it.
<!--quoteo(post=735:date=Dec 2 2008, 12:41 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 2 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=582:date=Dec 2 2008, 07:52 AM:name=coolpoppa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I WOULD NOT like to see Wood play for a division rival.

What we would we have had to pay if we had offered arbritration?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just wish this would have happened before we traded for Gregg. If Gregg wasn't on the roster I am positive that Kerry would have been offered arbitration. What would you rather have? Kerry at 1 yr for around $6-7M or Gregg for year at $4M plus Ceda. It's a no-brainer. Hendry fucked up. That's the only way I'm looking at it.
Now that you put it that way, I'm a little pissed.
Basically we traded Ceda and Wood for Gregg.
I still don't understand why Wood would ever accept a 1 year deal for what, the 3rd year in a row? When he signs elsewhere for ridiculous money, you guys will change your minds.
<!--quoteo(post=735:date=Dec 2 2008, 01:41 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 2 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=582:date=Dec 2 2008, 07:52 AM:name=coolpoppa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 2 2008, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I WOULD NOT like to see Wood play for a division rival.

I think Wood would have gotten at least 8 million, and money really does seem to be a huge concern for us right now. What if it was the difference between getting a big bat and settling for somebody like Teahen?
@TheBlogfines