Sons of Ivy
Wood - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Wood (/thread-8392.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Wood - ruby23 - 12-01-2008

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs have declined to offer arbitration to Kerry Wood and Bob Howry. Wood, a Type A free agent, just became a whole lot more attractive. The Cubs know he'll get multiyear offers elsewhere, but they figured he might prefer Chicago so much that he'd take the one-year deal to stay. Oddly, it's not something they wanted to risk, though if you asked us a couple of months ago, we'd have guessed they'd be thrilled to have Wood back on a one-year deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that's stupid.

Wood - BT - 12-01-2008

<!--quoteo(post=528:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:23 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 1 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs have declined to offer arbitration to Kerry Wood and Bob Howry. Wood, a Type A free agent, just became a whole lot more attractive. The Cubs know he'll get multiyear offers elsewhere, but they figured he might prefer Chicago so much that he'd take the one-year deal to stay. Oddly, it's not something they wanted to risk, though if you asked us a couple of months ago, we'd have guessed they'd be thrilled to have Wood back on a one-year deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that's stupid.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is pretty fucking inexcusable.

Wood - vegascub - 12-01-2008

Unfuckingbelievable. The sons-a-bitches probably knew he'd take it.

Wood - Clapp - 12-01-2008

<!--quoteo(post=530:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:31 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Dec 1 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Unfuckingbelievable. The sons-a-bitches probably knew he'd take it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Which is why they didn't do it like I posted in another thread. We can't afford to get Wood and a bat. There's more important needs. He would've accepted and what if we couldn't trade him?

Wood - Runnys - 12-01-2008

<!--quoteo(post=530:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:31 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Dec 1 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Unfuckingbelievable. The sons-a-bitches probably knew he'd take it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly that is the stupidest thing I can imagine Hendry doing. KB will have a field day with this. There is NO good reason for the Cubs to have not offered Wood arbitration..it was a win win situation for us.

Wood - rok - 12-01-2008

I still don't understand why they would believe Wood would stay on even though the organization showed him the door.

Fucking idiots.

Wait, are we allowed to swear?

Wood - Clapp - 12-01-2008

<!--quoteo(post=533:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:38 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 1 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=530:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:31 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Dec 1 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Unfuckingbelievable. The sons-a-bitches probably knew he'd take it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly that is the stupidest thing I can imagine Hendry doing. KB will have a field day with this. There is NO good reason for the Cubs to have not offered Wood arbitration..it was a win win situation for us.
Sure there is a reason. We can't afford him and a bat. I don't see what people aren't getting about this. As Tim Dierkes on mlbtr said:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs decided they could not take on the financial risk of Wood accepting, as they're tight on payroll. Trading him might've been difficult, as he would've been a 10-and-5 player.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We don't have much money to work with at all, and you can't assume a trade is going to be there. Gotta think with your heads instead of your cocks sometimes, our bigger need is a bat, and it's very possible we wouldn't have been able to get a good one with Wood on the payroll as well.

Wood - phan - 12-02-2008

raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

i dont' see how anybody can say that we couldn't use wood's arm and leadership on this team and he would've come at a bargain.

Wood - PcB - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

i dont' see how anybody can say that we couldn't use wood's arm and leadership on this team and he would've come at a bargain.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it's between a bat and Wood in the bullpen, I'll take the bat. We can find someone from within to do an adequate job of taking Woods spot.

Wood - Runnys - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

i dont' see how anybody can say that we couldn't use wood's arm and leadership on this team and he would've come at a bargain.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am with you Phan...I don't like our pen at all right now if we don't have Woody at the end of it. Everyone is going to be in different roles most likely next year. And with all this stuff about not being able to afford a bat...why couldn't we have traded one? Bart Roberts is still available...could go after him, move DeRo to right and our left handed bat problem is solved and our pen is stronger than it was last year...I just don't understand the Cubs logic in all of this. If it meant giving up Pie, Vitters, Ceda, and Cedeno to get Roberts...so fucking what!!

Wood - PcB - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=548:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

I am with you Phan...I don't like our pen at all right now if we don't have Woody at the end of it. Everyone is going to be in different roles most likely next year. And with all this stuff about not being able to afford a bat...why couldn't we have traded one? Bart Roberts is still available...could go after him, move DeRo to right and our left handed bat problem is solved and our pen is stronger than it was last year...I just don't understand the Cubs logic in all of this. If it meant giving up Pie, Vitters, Ceda, and Cedeno to get Roberts...so fucking what!!

I would much rather give up all of them to get Peavy ( a Cy Young award winner in his 20's with his prime ahead of him)

Wood - Clapp - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=548:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

So you'd rather give up all those guys for a marginal upgrade at 2nd base, just so we keep Wood? Kevin Gregg is just fine. Gregg-Marmol is still going to be one of the top 8-9 inning situations in the league, and Samardizja, Gaudin, Wuertz, Cotts, Ascanio are all solid bullpen options. We lost in the playoffs because of our hitting, period. We need a big bat that will step up in the clutch. Plus then you give up somebody like Cedeno, you gotta get another SS then, and the Cubs aren't going to bank on Fontenot being that guy just yet.

Plus are we all forgetting how fragile Kerry is? Odds are he was going to have at least one DL stint, very possibly go down for the season. We need a middle of the order hitter like Ibanez or Bradley much more.

Wood - PcB - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=551:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:41 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 1 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=548:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

So you'd rather give up all those guys for a marginal upgrade at 2nd base, just so we keep Wood? Kevin Gregg is just fine. Gregg-Marmol is still going to be one of the top 8-9 inning situations in the league, and Samardizja, Gaudin, Wuertz, Cotts, Ascanio are all solid bullpen options. We lost in the playoffs because of our hitting, period. We need a big bat that will step up in the clutch. Plus then you give up somebody like Cedeno, you gotta get another SS then, and the Cubs aren't going to bank on Fontenot being that guy just yet.

Plus are we all forgetting how fragile Kerry is? Odds are he was going to have at least one DL stint, very possibly go down for the season. We need a middle of the order hitter like Ibanez or Bradley much more.

This is why I love this man in a totally non gay way.

Wood - BT - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=551:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:41 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 1 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=548:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

Yes, Wood is fragile. That is why offering him arbitration is a no lose situation. If he accepts, which is doubtful considering he could get multi year deals with a number of teams, we are only on the hook for 1 year. If he gets hurt, so be it.

As it is, we are giving up the chance of getting either 2 high draft picks, or a one year deal for Wood, all because we want to save money for a POSSIBLE upgrade with a left handed bat. I don't get it.

Wood - Clapp - 12-02-2008

<!--quoteo(post=553:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:49 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 1 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=551:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:41 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 1 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=548:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 1 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=543:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Dec 1 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->raise your hand if you were confident in our bullpen going into the playoffs?

*crickets*

Yes, Wood is fragile. That is why offering him arbitration is a no lose situation. If he accepts, which is doubtful considering he could get multi year deals with a number of teams, we are only on the hook for 1 year. If he gets hurt, so be it.

As it is, we are giving up the chance of getting either 2 high draft picks, or a one year deal for Wood, all because we want to save money for a POSSIBLE upgrade with a left handed bat. I don't get it.

There's little doubt in my mind Kerry would've accepted.