Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's get Nomar
Butch, I had already looked. Aurillia's not as good a hitter. Not even recently.
He's definitely a couple years older. He hasn't played middle infield in a long time.

Given his age (and its concomitant reduction in agility and range) it's difficult to believe that he would be able to ever go back to playing 2B or SS at a competent MLB level.

Does his girlfriend give free BJ's to fans or something? What am I missing here?
(I guess that his supposed willingness to take a bench role, and Nomar's supposed prima-donna traits are worth something, I'll admit that.)
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
In the last 4 years, Nomar has played 57 games at SS and 0 at 2B, Aurillia has played 20 at 2B and 68 at SS.

Nomar's lines the last 4 years:
.283 .320 .452
.303 .367 .505
.283 .328 .371
.264 .326 .466

Aurillia's lines the last 4 years:
.282 .338 .444
.300 .349 .518
.252 .304 .368
.283 .332 .413

Aurillia is also less than 2 years older than Nomar.

In other words, KB really didn't look shit up.
Over 06 & 07 Aurillia's OPS was an average of .016 less. Last year it was .047 less, but Nomar did not have that many ABs.
Aurillia OPS: .867, .672, .745. Nomar: .872, .699. .792. The Advantage of Aurillia, is that he will most likely be an adequate bench player - which is what the Cubs need. The Cubs don't need to take a chance on Nomar.
I like you guys a lot.
Nomar saying he might retire because of his health did it for me... I'd rather have Aurilia
@TheBlogfines
Once again, wrong-o, Rube. I saw all those numbers, but of course also looked at the ones that favored Nomar, too (which, in your cherry-picking, you conveniently left out).
And like anyone looking at MLB stats, I heavily weighted the most recent stats, especially last season's. Going 4 years back for a 37-year old guy is worthless...why not just go a couple more years back to when Nomar was hitting .372 and was an MVP candidate? Neither has any bearing on 2009.

Key stat: % of games at SS or 2B last year
Nomar-over 60%
Aurilia-1% (3 innings at 2B)

OPS+ last year
Aurilia-93
Nomar-105
(they both sucked in '07. In '06, Nomar finished 13th in the MVP vote)

Like I said earlier, it's not a colossal difference, but I'd rather have Nomar, especially since their salaries will likely be similar.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=16342:date=Feb 5 2009, 08:10 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Feb 5 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Once again, wrong-o, Rube. I saw all those numbers, but of course also looked at the ones that favored Nomar too (which in your cherry-picking, you conveniently left out).
And like anyone looking at MLB stats, I heavily weighted the most recent stats, especially last season's. Going 4 years back for a 37-year old guy is worthless...why not just go a couple more years back to when Nomar was hitting .372 and was an MVP candidate? Neither has any bearing on 2009.

Nomar-over 60%

OPS+ last year
Aurilia-93
Nomar-105

Like I said earlier, it's not a colossal difference, but I'd rather have Nomar, especially since their salaries will likely be similar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't know if Nomar would sign a $1-2 million deal actually. He might just choose to retire then.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=16342:date=Feb 5 2009, 09:10 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Feb 5 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Once again, wrong-o, Rube. I saw all those numbers, but of course also looked at the ones that favored Nomar, too (which, in your cherry-picking, you conveniently left out).

Nomar-over 60%

OPS+ last year
Aurilia-93
Nomar-105

Like I said earlier, it's not a colossal difference, but I'd rather have Nomar, especially since their salaries will likely be similar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm cherry picking stats? You're so clueless sometimes.
I don't know, I guess Aurilia is the safer option, simply because he's more likely to stay healthy. If they're both healthy, I don't think there's much doubt that Garciaparra is a better player. And though he's not a Mark Prior, he <i>has</i> been damn fragile.

We'd be rolling the dice a bit with Nomar, but I don't think it's that big of a deal with a low-salaried non-regular. Upside? None with Aurilia...at his age, some decline is inevitable, and he was never that awesome to begin with. Upside with Nomar is substantially bigger.
Career OPS+
Nomar-125
Aurilia-100
That's a huge difference. Yes, that number includes the years that they were probably both on steroids, but it also shows that, all things being equal, one is a better hitter.
Nomar is my favorite player of all time. I'll be happy as shit if we get him back.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=16348:date=Feb 5 2009, 09:33 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 5 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nomar is my favorite player of all time. I'll be happy as shit if we get him back.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Your favorite player of all time? Seriously?

He was my favorite non-Cub for a while, but he did jack shit as a Cub. Wasn't there a Cub you grew up idolizing?
Nomar was HORRIBLE at SS last year. Just putting that out there. So using the fact he played there a lot as evidence of anything doesn't prove much. He played there because of injuries and was so desperately bad the Dodgers acquired Angel Berroa and his .600 OPS and started playing him everyday just to keep Nomar from playing SS.
<!--quoteo(post=16349:date=Feb 5 2009, 09:35 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 5 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16348:date=Feb 5 2009, 09:33 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 5 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nomar is my favorite player of all time. I'll be happy as shit if we get him back.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Your favorite player of all time? Seriously?

He was my favorite non-Cub for a while, but he did jack shit as a Cub. Wasn't there a Cub you grew up idolizing?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, The Hawk. But for some reason I got a Nomar card from when he was playing for GT and I started following him. I have his Red Sox jersey and Cubs jersey. I don't have his Dodgers jersey, but I want it.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=16350:date=Feb 5 2009, 09:48 PM:name=Gad)-->QUOTE (Gad @ Feb 5 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nomar was HORRIBLE at SS last year. Just putting that out there. So using the fact he played there a lot as evidence of anything doesn't prove much. He played there because of injuries and was so desperately bad the Dodgers acquired Angel Berroa and his .600 OPS and started playing him everyday just to keep Nomar from playing SS.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's not a SS anymore. I think he could be servicable at 2nd and 3rd, and I think he would be a fine backup at 1st.

- Butcher
I think Nomar is fine as a pinch hitter and corner infield reserve but he was pretty awful at SS and has played 1 game at 2B in his career and that was in 1996.

<!--quoteo(post=16350:date=Feb 5 2009, 09:48 PM:name=Gad)-->QUOTE (Gad @ Feb 5 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nomar was HORRIBLE at SS last year. Just putting that out there. So using the fact he played there a lot as evidence of anything doesn't prove much. He played there because of injuries and was so desperately bad the Dodgers acquired Angel Berroa and his .600 OPS and started playing him everyday just to keep Nomar from playing SS.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's a good example of eyewitness testimony vs. stats. Gad watched him a lot, and Nomar probably looked pretty bad out there. However, fielding metrics rated him as slightly below average (while noting that at the peak of his Red Sox prime, his glove-work was...slightly below average.)
So as ugly as it may have been, he somewhat got the job done.

Anyway...............
unlike PcB, I really don't care that much. He's prolly gonna retire anyway. I just thought it'd be fun to have him on the roster in case there was that 25% chance that he was healthy, which could possibly mean we'd have a star player at a scrub salary.
Carry on.