Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft
Here is two guys from Baseball Prospectus's take on Jackson.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Kevin Goldstein (5:40:14 PM PT): Cubs take Brett Jackson from Cal, who seemed to be in the mix for every team in the 20s. He's either a star or the next Tyler Colvin. That's really the range here as a risk/upside college guy.

Bryan Smith (5:40:59 PM PT): Brett Jackson is sort of like how KG described Wheeler -- he gets a lot of power-speed credit, but in two years, he hasn't hit more than eight home runs or stolen more than 12 bases in a season. Plus, I've heard a lot of question marks about his ability to stay in center. I think there's a pretty decent chance the Cubs just drafted a fourth outfielder.

Kevin Goldstein (5:41:35 PM PT): Johnny (IL): I'm a Cub fan who hates Jackson. Am I screwed?

Perfectly fine pick there that fits in well with his talent. I love the commentators telling us he's a hitter when that's actually his big issue. "It can be corrected" I'm told, which is always funny.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Round 1 - brett Jackson (CF) Cal Berkley
Round 2 - David LaMahieu (IF) LSU
Round 3 - Austin Kirk (LHP) Owasso HS, OK
Round 4 - Christopher Rusin (LHP) University of Kentucky
Round 5 - Wesley Darvil (SS) Brookwood HS,
Round 6 - Brooks Raley (LHP) Texas A&M
Round 7 - Blair Springfield (IF) McArthur HS, IL
Round 8 - Robert Whitnack (RHP) SUNY Old Westbury
Round 9 - Richard Jones Citadel
Round 10 - Joseph Thomes (3B) Edward Waters College
Round 11 - John Mincone (LHP) Suffolk CC
Round 12 - Burundi Davis (OF) Howard College
Round 13 - Chad Taylor (SS) Jefferson HS, FL
Round 14 - Daniel Keefe RHP) Univ. of Tampa
Round 15 - Brian Shields (CF) Aubrun U Montgomery
Round 16 - Keenyn Walker (CF) Judge Memorial Catholic HS, UT
Round 17 - Barratt Dail (RHP) Mt. Olive College

<!--quoteo(post=43488:date=Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Round 1 - brett Jackson (CF) Cal Berkley
Round 17 - Barratt Dail (RHP) Mt. Olive College<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
All those guys blow.
<!--quoteo(post=43489:date=Jun 10 2009, 02:06 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43488:date=Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Round 1 - brett Jackson (CF) Cal Berkley
All those guys blow.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Why is Richard Jones copyrighted? That seems inhumane.
<!--quoteo(post=43489:date=Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All those guys blow.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even the guy that goes to a catholic HS in Utah?
<!--quoteo(post=43492:date=Jun 10 2009, 01:13 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43489:date=Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All those guys blow.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He probably swallows.
<!--quoteo(post=43492:date=Jun 10 2009, 02:13 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43489:date=Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All those guys blow.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Especially that guy.
<!--quoteo(post=43494:date=Jun 10 2009, 03:14 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43492:date=Jun 10 2009, 02:13 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43489:date=Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->All those guys blow.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Especially that guy.

You're so negative.
<!--quoteo(post=43489:date=Jun 10 2009, 02:06 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43488:date=Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Round 1 - brett Jackson (CF) Cal Berkley
All those guys blow.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollin.gif[/img]

Well played.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

What Butch said.

But seriously, the more I read about this Jackson kid, I think there's a decent chance that he might develop into more than a 4th OF.
<!--quoteo(post=43423:date=Jun 10 2009, 10:13 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry, guys. I'll try to tone it down. I didn't realize I was driving people away.

After getting so close in 2003, everything has changed for me. I want it so bad that every minor disappointment gets magnified to the nth degree. I have lost all patience. And every year it doesn't happen, I become a little more bitter and pissed off. This is the only place I can sound off about it. But I really don't want to ruin the experience or anyone else.

I'll be leaving town tomorrow for a long weekend with no computer. Maybe I'll spend a few minutes to take personal inventory and reassess my Cubs fandom.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just keep on keepin' on. You're not taking personal shots. It's a board to express feelings on the Cubs, both good and bad. It's easier to express bad ones.

If people were only saying the good things, the 'non-bitching', then this place or (and I assume it works the same as the old place as I am not here all that much) would be both boring and have some of the worst Cubs discussion out there.
<!--quoteo(post=43503:date=Jun 10 2009, 05:03 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 10 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43423:date=Jun 10 2009, 10:13 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 10 2009, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry, guys. I'll try to tone it down. I didn't realize I was driving people away.

After getting so close in 2003, everything has changed for me. I want it so bad that every minor disappointment gets magnified to the nth degree. I have lost all patience. And every year it doesn't happen, I become a little more bitter and pissed off. This is the only place I can sound off about it. But I really don't want to ruin the experience or anyone else.

I'll be leaving town tomorrow for a long weekend with no computer. Maybe I'll spend a few minutes to take personal inventory and reassess my Cubs fandom.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just keep on keepin' on. You're not taking personal shots. It's a board to express feelings on the Cubs, both good and bad. It's easier to express bad ones.

If people were only saying the good things, the 'non-bitching', then this place or (and I assume it works the same as the old place as I am not here all that much) would be both boring and have some of the worst Cubs discussion out there.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hwULbBBgAD4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hwULbBBgAD4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
My favorite REO song, by far.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Even if Jackson doesn't amount to anything (which he probably won't, just because that's how the MLB draft works), it still sounds like it was a good pick, considering he was on the radar of all the teams in the 20s.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=43513:date=Jun 10 2009, 04:04 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Jun 10 2009, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Even if Jackson doesn't amount to anything (which he probably won't, just because that's how the MLB draft works), it still sounds like it was a good pick, considering he was on the radar of all the teams in the 20s.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or perhaps they passed on him because of his flaws... Regardless, at least we know the Cubs didn't reach for him.