Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft
From everything I've been hearing about Jackson, it sounds like scouts have him pegged as a guy that can add weight and swing a big bat. I hope that's the direction the Cubs go with him. Overall, I'm not too optimistic though.
Wasn't Tim Wheeler (who went to the Rox with the next pick) supposed to be a superior CF?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I hate the Brett Jackson pick.
Hmm, I'm going to go with Wilken on this one, seeing as how he has actually, you know, sent out scouts and actually seen Jackson himself, and stuff like that.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=43319:date=Jun 9 2009, 08:36 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 9 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wasn't Tim Wheeler (who went to the Rox with the next pick) supposed to be a superior CF?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The scouting report I just read mentioned he was good not great. He has no power though. I would really like to see the Cubs add power bats to their system, so if their plan is to bulk Jackson up, I don't mind the pick too much.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Scouting Report: Brett Jackson, CF, Cal (2009 Draft)

Posted By John Klima on May 28, 2009

Brett Jackson, CF
Cal (2009 Draft)
6-2, 210
Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Games seen: 1, Innings 9

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Tall and medium build, athletic frame, strong upper half, flexibility increasing, still physically maturing. Strong forearms and grip, good hands. Athletic enough to stay in center field.

STRENGTHS: Strong hands and fast bat with aptitude for adjustment. Above-average arm in CF, fast first step, aggressive and smart base runner, fields what he gets to, comes in for the ball very well, should have average defensive range gap-to-gap as ML CF. Above-average speed, but not a burner.

WEAKNESSES: Bat has pop, but swing path might not generate above-average power in ML. Flat-footed defensively, can correct. Loosey-goosey game persona; can be a tough guy to get read of in game.

SUMMARY: Good body, good athlete. Bat should play enough to allow him to play every day. No one tool is a jaw dropper, but a very competitive overall package should make this player a major league regular.

GRADES:
Hit 45/60
Power 40/60
Arm 45/55
Field 45/50
Run 55/55

Overall Future Potential: 55<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFGl1ETKkQk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFGl1ETKkQk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YltNhuAhBB4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YltNhuAhBB4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
So he doesn't hit for power, strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for average (.236ish in both conference play and the Cape Cod League). He is toolsy though!
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
Sounds like he projects to be an average major leaguer at best. He certainly fits the bill as a #1 pick.
BTW, I'm not really upset with the pick because it is a crapshoot, and who knows, either way he won't make a difference for a few years.
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
How soon can we trade him?
<!--quoteo(post=43335:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:57 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 9 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->How soon can we trade him?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought you wanted to trade for prospects.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
FWIW, this is supposed to be a poor draft all around for position players.
<!--quoteo(post=43339:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:00 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 9 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->FWIW, this is supposed to be a poor draft all around for position players.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Then we picked a super time to make CF our #1 priority.
<!--quoteo(post=43337:date=Jun 9 2009, 08:59 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 9 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43335:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:57 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 9 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->How soon can we trade him?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought you wanted to trade for prospects.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd gladly trade him for prospects.