Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft
<!--quoteo(post=43254:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a new rule put in last year that says a team that doesn't sign it's #1 draft pick gets compensated the same pick the following year. They were 9 last year and didn't sign their pick so they were awarded #9b (10) this year. It's a stupid rule.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's not a stupid rule, it helps level the playing field, takes the power out of the agents hands, helps slot picks compensation-wise, and gives teams the ability to not overpay.
<!--quoteo(post=43262:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:00 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43254:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a new rule put in last year that says a team that doesn't sign it's #1 draft pick gets compensated the same pick the following year. They were 9 last year and didn't sign their pick so they were awarded #9b (10) this year. It's a stupid rule.
It's not a stupid rule, it helps level the playing field, takes the power out of the agents hands, helps slot picks compensation-wise, and gives teams the ability to not overpay.
This.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=43262:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:00 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43254:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I like the rule.
However, wasn't Washington's pick last year (Aaron Crow) the #5 overall pick?
How did that pick turn into a #10?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=43264:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:04 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 9 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43262:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:00 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43254:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I like the rule.
However, wasn't Washington's pick last year (Aaron Crow) the #5 overall pick?
How did that pick turn into a #10?
Washington picked 9th last year, so they get the 9 B pick this year.
<!--quoteo(post=43258:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:50 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 9 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43245:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:19 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 9 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The draft is a crap shoot. The Red Sox have all those picks from 2005 playing now, what are the odds of that happening? Low. It was luck.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I could be luck, I guess. It could also be their amazing scouting and talent evaluation. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Butch, I'm glad you're on this site.
The Red Sox, starting in 2003, began to make a HUGE deal out of drafting amateur players. They vastly increased their scouting, they brought in a whole new staff of younger, different-thinking scouts, they analyzed HS and college stats to the nth degree...and guess what? Shocker!
They started to have impact drafts.

Remember how they were supposed to be "cursed." Uh- huh. Curses, luck, rabbit's feet...that's it.

(btw, Ruby you're right about Crow/Nats. )
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
The Nats took Crow with the 9th pick last year.

9th pick
I'm hoping for Rex Brothers right now.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Brett Jackson. Bad news, Harold from BBTN LOVES this guy, so we are probably screwed
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Brett Jackson - Harold just says he swings and missed a lot. But they all say it was a good pick.
Brett Jackson

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Hitting ability: Jackson has a solid, balanced approach at the plate. He doesn't have a big load to the ball and sometimes looks like he's rushing a bit.
Power: Shows average raw power now, but the way he swings it, he doesn't tap into it. He slaps at the ball a little more as Cal's leadoff hitter. But he does have some pop in there.
Running speed: Has above-average speed, with a football player's stride; someone who runs hard.
Base running: It's OK and he should be able to steal some bases in the future.
Arm strength: Has a plus arm from the outfield.
Fielding: He's fine in center now, but if he gets bigger and slows down, he might have to move to a corner spot.
Range: Runs gap-to-gap well.
Physical Description: Jackson is a big, athletic outfielder with good overall body strength.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: Strength, athletic ability. Some hitting ability and good speed to go along with good overall actions in center field.
Weaknesses: Strikes out a little too often for a leadoff hitter, but can he hit for enough power to be a No. 3 type. If he gets bigger, he may not be able to stay in center.
Summary: It's not a great Draft class for college bats, particularly in the outfield, so one with the athleticism Jackson has is bound to be noticed. He runs well on both sides of the ball, has a decent approach at the plate and plays a good center field right now. Some may see him as a tweener who isn't a leadoff hitter or a No. 3 type. If he gets bigger he will have to move to a corner, where how much power he actually has becomes a bigger question. He's got more value if he can stay in center, and the team that takes him may be hoping he can stay put.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
John Hart says he's an athlete and a gamer (scout talk for he's not great at anything). I'd rather hear he's always on base and hits the shit out of the ball. Evidently he's a free swinger and might no be able to stick at CF.
I like that John Hart liked him though. Hart has made some pretty nice draft picks in his career
Sounds like Tyler Colvin to me.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=43297:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:03 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 9 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sounds like Tyler Colvin to me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, everything sounds really similar. Scouting report matches him almost exactly.
<!--quoteo(post=43298:date=Jun 9 2009, 08:03 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 9 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43297:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:03 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 9 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sounds like Tyler Colvin to me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, everything sounds really similar. Scouting report matches him almost exactly.
So we've already got his replacement waiting once Colvin is released in a year or so. Sweet.