Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft
Boers actually seems to be a little less mean-spirited toward Cubs fans, which is hard for me to say. Bernstein, on the other hand, just loves to stir the pot and take things way too far and out of context. He welcomes any opportunity to flaunt his vast intelligence and knowledge on all things. It also doesn't help that their program director is a card-carrying Sox fan who clearly screens out callers to make us all look like mouth-breathing buffoons.
CNNSI: Draft Rankings

Just an article ranking all the teams' past draft history. We didn't fare too well.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
1. Nationals - Strasburg
2. Mariners - Dustin Ackley
3. Padres - Donovan Tate
I hate that they turned this draft into a drawn out media circus now. 5 years ago you could see the whole 1st round in 5 minutes, now they have teams on the clock and it takes hours and do, with all this guess analysis and shit. Fucking stupid. These aren't guys going right in to the league like the NFL or NBA, a lot of these guys wont be in the bigs for 5 years and some won't ever make it.
The draft is a crap shoot. The Red Sox have all those picks from 2005 playing now, what are the odds of that happening? Low. It was luck.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
It's the upbringing in the minors that makes the differences. Which is why we never capitalize on our draft picks.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->4. Pittsburgh Pirates
The Pick: Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College
The buzz: An interesting pick for the Pirates. He is a MLB-ready defensively, but his bat is a question mark. The Pirates could have done better, but it is the Pirates, so they probably could have done worse.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

[Image: lou.jpg]
I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?
Good news, Ruby. AJ Pollock (Notre Dame) went to the D-Bags @ 17.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a new rule put in last year that says a team that doesn't sign it's #1 draft pick gets compensated the same pick the following year. They were 9 last year and didn't sign their pick so they were awarded #9b (10) this year. It's a stupid rule.
<!--quoteo(post=43235:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:36 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 9 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate that they turned this draft into a drawn out media circus now. 5 years ago you could see the whole 1st round in 5 minutes, now they have teams on the clock and it takes hours and do, with all this guess analysis and shit. Fucking stupid. These aren't guys going right in to the league like the NFL or NBA, a lot of these guys wont be in the bigs for 5 years and some won't ever make it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually in the past you couldn't even watch the draft. It wasn't even televised until last or the year before. It took place on a conference call that began at like 6 in the morning.
<!--quoteo(post=43254:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a new rule put in last year that says a team that doesn't sign it's #1 draft pick gets compensated the same pick the following year. They were 9 last year and didn't sign their pick so they were awarded #9b (10) this year. It's a stupid rule.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow. I had not heard that. That is amazingly absurd.
<!--quoteo(post=43245:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:19 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 9 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The draft is a crap shoot. The Red Sox have all those picks from 2005 playing now, what are the odds of that happening? Low. It was luck.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I could be luck, I guess. It could also be their amazing scouting and talent evaluation. I'm leaning towards the latter.
<!--quoteo(post=43256:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:43 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43254:date=Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43250:date=Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I guess I missed it. How did the Nationals get two top ten picks?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow. I had not heard that. That is amazingly absurd.
Yeah. It's totally weak. So if you don't like the way the draft is playing out, you don't sign your guy and you get the same pick next year? Seems like it would be really easy to take advantage of this system.
Cardinals took some hard throwing high school pitcher from Texas. White Sux took a CF from La St.