Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harden and Heilman Claimed on Waivers
People have really been taking Zambrano for granted. It's easy to point out his recent struggles and say he's mediocre. The guy isn't even 30 yet and is a dominant pitcher. That's all there is to it. So what if he's not competing for the Cy this year. He's still a damn good pitcher.

Also, all I've been hearing from the anti-Zambrano camp lately is how he's crazy. What exactly does that have to do with anything? Maybe it's just the eye of the beholder, but his emotions haven't seemed to be a problem since the Barrett KO in my opinion.
<!--quoteo(post=60913:date=Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's no doubt in my mind that Zambrano would get claimed if put on waivers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why? Really, there is no doubt at all? Do you think his value is $18M per year for 4 years? Can you explain this a little further. I realize it would only take one GM, but it would be a move very similar to the Alex Rios move by Ken Williams. Z is a good pitcher, there's no denying that. The question is whether or not another GM is willing to pay him Cy Young money for the next 4 years. Please make your case because I just don't think there are any.
<!--quoteo(post=60921:date=Sep 1 2009, 11:05 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Sep 1 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People have really been taking Zambrano for granted. It's easy to point out his recent struggles and say he's mediocre. The guy isn't even 30 yet and is a dominant pitcher. That's all there is to it. So what if he's not competing for the Cy this year. He's still a damn good pitcher.

Also, all I've been hearing from the anti-Zambrano camp lately is how he's crazy. What exactly does that have to do with anything? Maybe it's just the eye of the beholder, but his emotions haven't seemed to be a problem since the Barrett KO in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like I said in another post, Zambrano is far from a problem for this team, but how can you consider a guy that has put up right around a 3.9 ERA in each of the past 3 seasons dominant? He's not the same pitcher today that he was 4 or 5 seasons ago, and now he's making over $18 million a year.

I'm not "anti-Zambrano" - I just wish he would start justifying his salary a little bit better.
<!--quoteo(post=60922:date=Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60913:date=Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's no doubt in my mind that Zambrano would get claimed if put on waivers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why? Really, there is no doubt at all? Do you think his value is $18M per year for 4 years? Can you explain this a little further. I realize it would only take one GM, but it would be a move very similar to the Alex Rios move by Ken Williams. Z is a good pitcher, there's no denying that. The question is whether or not another GM is willing to pay him Cy Young money for the next 4 years. Please make your case because I just don't think there are any.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because guys like Zambrano don't hit the market all that often. Yeah -- the market has shifted, but it will most likely shift back before the end of his contract.
I'd bet a good chunk of cash that every team on this list would claim Zambrano:

- Yankees
- Red Sox
- Angels
- Dodgers
- White Sox
- Cardinals
- Phillies
<!--quoteo(post=60927:date=Sep 1 2009, 12:33 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 1 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd bet a good chunk of cash that every team on this list would claim Zambrano:

- Yankees
- Red Sox
- Angels
- Dodgers
- White Sox
- Cardinals
- Phillies<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would take your bet on the Phillies, Cardinals, White Sox, Red Sox, and Yankees. The only reason I wouldn't on the LA teams is because they are in the playoff and need pitching bad. But LAD has become real conservative the last several years. If any team were likely to claim him I'd bet on the Angels. I didn't think about them before and they seem to be a perfect match.

NYY has locked up the division and has 4 top notch starters for the playoffs. They also have Phil Hughes and Ching Ming Wang that will be running for next year's rotation.

Boston spends their money itelligently. They have Beckett, Lester, Buccholz, and Dice-K for their playoff run.

ChiSox just spent loads of money on Peavy and Rios. I see no way they'd also commit to Z.

The Cardinals will be trying to resign Holliday on a limited budget and their fans despise Zambrano. Plus, they just traditinally don't spend that kind of money.

The Phillies don't have a need now that they traded for Lee. They have Hamels, Lee, Haap, Blanton, Pedro, Brett Myers on the DL set to return next year and a whole slew of young studs in the minors.
The Dodgers would be a perfect fit for Z.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->NYY has locked up the division and has 4 top notch starters for the playoffs. They also have Phil Hughes and Ching Ming Wang that will be running for next year's rotation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The Yankees have shown in the past that they will always add more pitching if it's available. And money is no object with them.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Boston spends their money itelligently. They have Beckett, Lester, Buccholz, and Dice-K for their playoff run.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Boston will often make a run at someone to block the Yankees. Plus, Z would be locked up for 4 years -- not just for the playoffs.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->ChiSox just spent loads of money on Peavy and Rios. I see no way they'd also commit to Z.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Kenny Williams would love nothing more than to take Zambrano, have him perform for the Sox, and stick it to us. He's also spending money like it's on fire right now.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cardinals will be trying to resign Holliday on a limited budget and their fans despise Zambrano. Plus, they just traditinally don't spend that kind of money.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They won't be signing Holliday -- he's a Boras guy. I guarantee Holliday will hit free agency. Their fans despise Zambrano, but that isn't an issue at all -- they'd love him if he were on the Cardinals. Just like we loved Edmonds when he was a Cub.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Phillies don't have a need now that they traded for Lee. They have Hamels, Lee, Haap, Blanton, Pedro, Brett Myers on the DL set to return next year and a whole slew of young studs in the minors.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I might give you the Phillies. But you're nutty if you think there isn't a GM out there that would claim Zambrano.
<!--quoteo(post=60922:date=Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60913:date=Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's no doubt in my mind that Zambrano would get claimed if put on waivers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The White Sox gave up a shitload of prospects, for an injured pitcher with a salary similar to Zambrano's. Nearly every team out there would take him for free. It wouldn't take one team, there'd be about 25 teams in line to get him. If the Cubs were trading him, the list gets smaller, but I'd bet it'd still approach double digits.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I realize it would only take one GM, but it would be a move very similar to the Alex Rios move by Ken Williams.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How does comparing Zambrano's case to Rios' help your point? Rios is a much less productive player, and he's probably overpaid worse than Zambrano. Yet he was still claimed. If anything, the point you brought up proves that you're original statement that you would "bet your left nut Zambrano wouldn't get claimed" is incredibly dumb.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
I know it's early, but Rios is already proving that he isn't a big-time player regardless of how many "tools" he has. He isn't coming close to earning his salary, and arguably never has. Z, on the other hand, has come pretty darn close to earning his salary until this season, but I still think injuries are slowing him down, and have been all season. I would not be opposed to shutting him down for the remainder of the season if he has another bad outing.
<!--quoteo(post=60934:date=Sep 1 2009, 01:53 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Sep 1 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60922:date=Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60913:date=Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's no doubt in my mind that Zambrano would get claimed if put on waivers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I realize it would only take one GM, but it would be a move very similar to the Alex Rios move by Ken Williams.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How does comparing Zambrano's case to Rios' help your point? Rios is a much less productive player, and he's probably overpaid worse than Zambrano. Yet he was still claimed. If anything, the point you brought up proves that you're original statement that you would "bet your left nut Zambrano wouldn't get claimed" is incredibly dumb.
Not to mention that the White Sox were within the first 6 or so teams out of 29 to get a crack at claiming Rios. Priority of waiver claims first go to teams in the same league in order from worst to best record. So the White Sox claimed him before the Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, Tigers, Twins, Angels, Rangers, or any NL team got a shot at him. Only Baltimore, Cleveland, Kansas City, Seattle, and Oakland (virtually all small market teams) had passed on him.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Can someone please answer this question. If Zambrano were a free agent, and could sign with any team today, would his contract equal 4 yr / $72M? Because that is basically the argument we are having. I think that answer is no.
<!--quoteo(post=60943:date=Sep 1 2009, 03:12 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 1 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can someone please answer this question. If Zambrano were a free agent, and could sign with any team today, would his contract equal 4 yr / $72M? Because that is basically the argument we are having. I think that answer is no.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's a false analogy. If he signed a new contract this offseason, he might not get 4/72, but I think he very well might. That doesn't mean that a team, or numerous teams, wouldn't take on his contract with that left on it.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=60942:date=Sep 1 2009, 03:02 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Sep 1 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60934:date=Sep 1 2009, 01:53 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Sep 1 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60922:date=Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 1 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=60913:date=Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's no doubt in my mind that Zambrano would get claimed if put on waivers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Not to mention that the White Sox were within the first 6 or so teams out of 29 to get a crack at claiming Rios. Priority of waiver claims first go to teams in the same league in order from worst to best record. So the White Sox claimed him before the Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, Tigers, Twins, Angels, Rangers, or any NL team got a shot at him. Only Baltimore, Cleveland, Kansas City, Seattle, and Oakland (virtually all small market teams) had passed on him.

So you think that another team would have rescued Ricciardi from Rios' contract? Is that what you are saying? There is obviously no way to know the answer, but I again would have a differing opinion.