Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curtis Granderson?
<!--quoteo(post=70114:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Everything about that post was awesome, everything.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Absolutely...right on.
My favorite line:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I’m not even going to go into Granderson’s stats against lefthanded batters, just know that if I did I would include the words “helpless”, “baby seal” and “fucking embarrassing.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=70103:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:06 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70101:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

http://www.desipio.com/?p=2520<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not defending Morrissey at all in any way, shape, or form... but that post made me want to put my head through my monitor.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought it was spot-on.
Me too. Morrissey is a boob.

I haven't read Desipio's column yet, but I almost posted on here yesterday that reading Morrisey's column convinced me NOT to trade for Granderson.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=70113:date=Nov 24 2009, 08:29 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Nov 24 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Memo to Desipio:

Tiresome read. Just tell me why Morrisey's wrong...not what his whole act sucks. I already know that and it's boring to read a dissection of. Take the high road and cut his argument to ribbons and leave it at that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is where I am. I couldn't even finish the post. He could have just called Morrisey a chimp without talent and I would have got the point just as easily.

Meh, I don't mean to bring the mood down though. If you guys enjoy it, then the guy is doing something right.
Just wanted to point out some numbers that I have come across that I feel shed a bit of light on the potential Granderson acquisition. Granderson's slash line outside of comerica park over the last three years .289/.361/.535/.896. Batting fifth in the lineup regardless of the park, his three year slash line is .355/.423/.629/1.052. Although he does not steal a ton of bases, when he does he has a success rate of almost 85%. His uzr/150 has always shown him to be slightly above average to well above average in centerfield.

Fukudome was way below average in center last year according to uzr/150, and off the charts the year before and last year in right. This team becomes noticeably improved defensively with Granderson moving Fukudome back to right field. If we were to acquire Granderson, he would have to be used in the middle of the order, either fifth or cleanup. Fukudome is much better suited to be a leadoff hitter than a middle of the lineup hitter, and people that slug around .500 like Granderson need to be lower in the lineup.

If the Cubs do not wish to trade Castro for this type of production, then we better be seeing him as the starting shortstop sometime next year. I would think the package required to acquire Granderson would be something like one of Vitters, Cashner or Jay Jackson, plus one of the prospects from the 10-20 range like Colvin, Coleman or Burke, and one of the 4A players like Marshall, Fox, Fuld, Barney or Hoff.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
I think I could live with a trade like that. I really wish we could get away without giving up a Vitters/Cashner/Jackson though.
While Granderson would be a solid pick up for the Cubs, I don't believe he is the middle of the order guy that the Cubs needed last season.

Granderson has extremely similar stats to Bradley regarding slugging, HRs etc which isn't bad but almost all his at bats are as a lead off man. Believe he has something like 62 AB in the 5 spot and over 1,000 as a lead off man over the last 3 years. His stats in those 62 AB production as #5 are great but it is too small a sample size to extrapolate for a full season.

Granderson is a great replacement for Bradley: he is a better defender; plays a position where the Cubs have a weakness; puts up similar offensive numbers; and, would rid the club of an ass wipe. Unfortunately, Curtis is a top of the order hitter not the middle of the order RBI guy that the Cubs were desperate for last season. Hopefully, Soto can stay off the rice and beans and return to his 2008 form and be that guy in the 5 spot in 2010.
<!--quoteo(post=70217:date=Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->While Granderson would be a solid pick up for the Cubs, I don't believe he is the middle of the order guy that the Cubs needed last season.

Granderson has extremely similar stats to Bradley regarding slugging, HRs etc which isn't bad but almost all his at bats are as a lead off man. Believe he has something like 62 AB in the 5 spot and over 1,000 as a lead off man over the last 3 years. His stats in those 62 AB production as #5 are great but it is too small a sample size to extrapolate for a full season.

Granderson is a great replacement for Bradley: he is a better defender; plays a position where the Cubs have a weakness; puts up similar offensive numbers; and, would rid the club of an ass wipe. Unfortunately, Curtis is a top of the order hitter not the middle of the order RBI guy that the Cubs were desperate for last season. Hopefully, Soto can stay off the rice and beans and return to his 2008 form and be that guy in the 5 spot in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand your point about the sample size, but I think the fact that he's had such solid RBI production out of the leadoff spot bodes well for his ability to hit down in the order, if that's what we needed him to do.

With this trade you have to fall into one of two camps; either we need one more piece of the puzzle and we can compete in the central, or we need to step back try and stay "competetive" while Sorioano and Fuk's contracts expire and then rebuild with this sudden influx of potential superstars. I'm of the mind that we can put it all together next year with a couple of new pieces and really make a run. I say you go and get Granderson if you can get him for Fox/Vitters/and somebody else who is not Castro. The other variable is that now Dave Dumbrowski is saying that the Tigers are NOT dumping salary and not having a fire sale. Which very well might just be an attempt to calm the fanebase down.
<!--quoteo(post=70217:date=Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->While Granderson would be a solid pick up for the Cubs, I don't believe he is the middle of the order guy that the Cubs needed last season.

Granderson is a great replacement for Bradley: he is a better defender; plays a position where the Cubs have a weakness; puts up similar offensive numbers; and, would rid the club of an ass wipe. Unfortunately, Curtis is a top of the order hitter not the middle of the order RBI guy that the Cubs were desperate for last season. Hopefully, Soto can stay off the rice and beans and return to his 2008 form and be that guy in the 5 spot in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe it's just me, but a guy that can slug .450 in Comarica park is good enough to hit #5 for the Cubs IMO.
<!--quoteo(post=70223:date=Nov 27 2009, 11:15 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 27 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70217:date=Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->While Granderson would be a solid pick up for the Cubs, I don't believe he is the middle of the order guy that the Cubs needed last season.

Maybe it's just me, but a guy that can slug .450 in Comarica park is good enough to hit #5 for the Cubs IMO.

That 450 slugging % reminded me of something. Here's a player with career 450 slugging % with 9 years MLB experience. Sounds like he would be a decent player to hit in the 5 spot for the Cubs. The problem the Cubs had him hit there last year and he shit the bed when the Cubs moved him into the middle of the order.

Milton Bradley has a career 450 slugging % and last year hit 217/354/311 in the 5 spot for a total of 9 RBIs in 106 ABs.

Now, Granderson isn't Bradley but the Cubs learned an important lesson last year when they expected a top of the order guy to produce as middle of the order guy and the results sucked.

Granderson would be a solid addition to the team but we shouldn't immediately expect that a top of the order guy will produce as a middle of the order guy.
<!--quoteo(post=70224:date=Nov 27 2009, 02:05 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Nov 27 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70223:date=Nov 27 2009, 11:15 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 27 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70217:date=Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Nov 27 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->While Granderson would be a solid pick up for the Cubs, I don't believe he is the middle of the order guy that the Cubs needed last season.

That 450 slugging % reminded me of something. Here's a player with career 450 slugging % with 9 years MLB experience. Sounds like he would be a decent player to hit in the 5 spot for the Cubs. The problem the Cubs had him hit there last year and he shit the bed when the Cubs moved him into the middle of the order.

Milton Bradley has a career 450 slugging % and last year hit 217/354/311 in the 5 spot for a total of 9 RBIs in 106 ABs.

Now, Granderson isn't Bradley but the Cubs learned an important lesson last year when they expected a top of the order guy to produce as middle of the order guy and the results sucked.

Granderson would be a solid addition to the team but we shouldn't immediately expect that a top of the order guy will produce as a middle of the order guy.

But Granderson has slugged .484 lifetime. I was pointing out that he has a .450 slugging at Comerica park. Can you imagine how much that .484 slugging would go up playing at Wrigley?
We are not getting Granderson.

According to Heyman Twitter:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->yanks to get granderson, e. jackson, i. kennedy to dbacks, scherzer, schlereth, a. jax, coke to tigers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
All aboard the Mike Cameron express?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Looks like Cameron is in the cards.
They're saying we're interested in Melky Cabrera now that the Yanks don't need him.