Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curtis Granderson?
I'm not sure we'd have enough to trade to get him. But he'd solve a number of problems for us.

MLB Trade Rumors

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Tigers are letting teams know center fielder <b>Curtis Granderson</b> is available, according to an NL executive who talked to the New York Post's Joel Sherman. Sherman believes the Yankees would have interest.

Sherman qualifies the rumor, saying Granderson nor <b>Edwin Jackson</b> are players the Tigers truly want to trade. Sherman notes that Jackson appeals to both New York teams.

While we named Granderson in our center fielder trade market post, we didn't think he was really available. One thing I learned writing that post is that Granderson's 2009 batting line was misleading, and he's well worth the $25.75MM owed to him over the next three seasons. The Tigers could restock the cupboards with a Granderson trade. Pure speculation, but might the Cubs be interested in the Illinois native? Way back in March of '07, Granderson talked to us about the possibility of playing in Chicago.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=68717:date=Nov 11 2009, 01:06 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Nov 11 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->he'd solve a number of problems for us.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except that he can't hit LHP at all, but it probably wouldn't be hard to find a right handed hitting platoon partner for him.
Looking at his stats, he had a shitty 2009. Apparently he's decided to become a power hitter. Ugh! Apparently I should take a look before I say he'd fix anything.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I'm a little worried that he's becoming, or always has been an in the closet, Corey Patterson.
I would love to have Granderson on this team.
<!--quoteo(post=68754:date=Nov 12 2009, 08:00 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Nov 12 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would love to have Granderson on this team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He can hit homeruns, runs well and plays solid defense. However, as a leadoff hitter, his OBP has gone down considerably as his slugging has gone up.

In 2009, his BA/OBP went from .280/.365 to .249/.327 and he struck out 141 times.

Here's the remainder of his contract:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->
  • 10:$5.5M, 11:$8.25M, 12:$10M, 13:$13M club option ($2M buyout)
  • 2013 option increases to:<ul><li>$15M if MVP (1st - 5th) in 2011 or 2012
  • $14M if All Star in 2011 or 2012
  • $13.5M if All Star selection in 2011 or 2012
</li>[*]award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M for MVP, WS MVP</ul><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I got nothin'.

Andy
A leadoff hitter with a low OBP? Bring him.
<!--quoteo(post=68759:date=Nov 12 2009, 09:12 AM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Nov 12 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A leadoff hitter with a low OBP? Bring him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Speed don't slump, dudes...
Granderson doesn't have to be a leadoff hitter on this team. We already have a top notch top of the order guy in Soriano.

In all seriousness, this order doesn't look too bad (other than the extreme right handedness, which I'm not all that concerned about).

Theriot
Fukudome
Lee
Aramis
Granderson
Soriano
Baker
Soto
<!--quoteo(post=68762:date=Nov 12 2009, 09:49 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 12 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Granderson doesn't have to be a leadoff hitter on this team. We already have a top notch top of the order guy in Soriano.

In all seriousness, this order doesn't look too bad (other than the extreme right handedness, which I'm not all that concerned about).

Theriot
Fukudome
Lee
Aramis
Granderson
Soriano
Baker
Soto<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fukudome and baker make that lineup sucky. soto may not make it any better.

i hope to god that we aren't counting on baker to play every day. thats an old school cub move.

Wang.
If we end up with a middle infield of Baker and Theriot next season, this team goes nowhere.
<!--quoteo(post=68754:date=Nov 12 2009, 08:00 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Nov 12 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would love to have Granderson on this team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too. Make it happen Jim.

I'm surprised at the rest of the comments here. The guy has a career .894 OPS against RHP. He doesn't turn 28 until March, so in theory he is just entering his prime. And he plays the position that this team seemingly wants to fill. I don't see how anyone could be against trying to go get him, unless you are a big Mike Cameron fan.
I'll always be happy to get 30 homers from a player, but the rest of his stats were pretty crappy last season.

That said, I'll gladly take him.
His best year so far was 2007. <b><i>He hit .160 vs. LHP</i></b> on his way to 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 homers and 26 steals.

Victorino on the other hand...
100+ runs the last two years, hit .314 vs. LHP in '09 and his career high in strikeouts (71) is less than a hundred than Granderson's career high (174).
He had the best arm on earth, if you didn't include Ichiro, and he just won a Gold Glove.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=68772:date=Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Nov 12 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His best year so far was 2007. <b><i>He hit .160 vs. LHP</i></b> on his way to 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 homers and 26 steals.

Victorino on the other hand...
100+ runs the last two years, hit .314 vs. LHP in '09 and his career high in strikeouts (71) is less than a hundred than Granderson's career high (174).
He had the best arm on earth, if you didn't include Ichiro, and he just won a Gold Glove.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is Victorino available or something?