Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curtis Granderson?
According to Buster Olney:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->No one should be surprised if there's a trade between the Mariners and Tigers involving Curtis Granderson, writes Lynn Henning. Totally agree: Granderson would be a great fit for the Seattle blueprint. Granderson would also be a great fit for the Cubs, writes Rick Morrissey.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Curtis Granderson is looking to host a reality series. He'd be an interesting guy to follow around.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The reality series seems like it would be pretty cool. I'm always interested in seeing behind the scenes stuff and the ammenities in all of the ballparks.
To start with, I like Granderson. We were born at the same hospital (St. Francis, in Blue Island) he has a pretty much sterling rep as a stand-up guy, a great clubhouse figure, and he plays pretty good ball.

He also is much better at playing day games than playing at night : Granderson is a career .280/.360/.518 hitter during the day, substantially better figures than his .268/.336/.466 at night. Unless the Cubs' new owners get the 50 annual night games at home they want right away in 2010 (they won't), that could be a meaningful statistic. (I got this info from another Cub website)

He's an All-Star, has World Series experience, and seems like a cool guy.

Let me play Devil's advocate now...he has been a regular for 4 seasons. In one of those, three years ago, he was excellent. In another, he was very good. The two other years, including last year, he sucked.
He cannot hit lefty pitching. At all. He's batting .210 lifetime against left-handed pitching. IOW, he HAS to have a caddy, a platoon mate, in order to not be a complete <i>hole</i> in the batting order every 3rd or 4th day.
He's a good fielder, not a great fielder. He has speed, but has only averaged 17 SB a year since becoming a regular.

Again, I like the guy, but I want us to be clear what we're getting. Ace and Scarey will soon contradict me with glowing stats that show him to be the next Willie Mays, which is cool.
But I don't believe that we should obliterate the farm system in order to land a guy the Tigers are already trying to shop.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=70007:date=Nov 23 2009, 06:17 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 23 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->To start with, I like Granderson. We were born at the same hospital (St. Francis, in Blue Island) he has a pretty much sterling rep as a stand-up guy, a great clubhouse figure, and he plays pretty good ball.

He also is much better at playing day games than playing at night : Granderson is a career .280/.360/.518 hitter during the day, substantially better figures than his .268/.336/.466 at night. Unless the Cubs' new owners get the 50 annual night games at home they want right away in 2010 (they won't), that could be a meaningful statistic. (I got this info from another Cub website)

He's an All-Star, has World Series experience, and seems like a cool guy.

Let me play Devil's advocate now...he has been a regular for 4 seasons. In one of those, three years ago, he was excellent. In another, he was very good. The two other years, including last year, he sucked.
He cannot hit lefty pitching. At all. He's batting .210 lifetime against left-handed pitching. IOW, he HAS to have a caddy, a platoon mate, in order to not be a complete <i>hole</i> in the batting order every 3rd or 4th day.
He's a good fielder, not a great fielder. He has speed, but has only averaged 17 SB a year since becoming a regular.

Again, I like the guy, but I want us to be clear what we're getting. Ace and Scarey will soon contradict me with glowing stats that show him to be the next Willie Mays, which is cool.
But I don't believe that we should obliterate the farm system in order to land a guy the Tigers are already trying to shop.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with all of that actually, especially the last line. The only thing I'll semi-disagree with was him sucking last year. Now, he did in fact suck, but you have to take into account the unluckiness of last year.

You're absolutely right in that he needs a platoon partner. But, it's not hard to find a righty that kills lefties. That, and as I said earlier the Cubs only faced lefty pitching about 20% of their PAs last year and I have to think that's pretty standard year by year and team by team. Having Granderson play 80% of the time is not ideal for what you're paying him, but that's still a very large majority of the time.
Is anyone actually advocating "obliterating" the farm system to get Granderson?

He's worth some good prospects. That part can't be debated (though you can debate whether you want him at all). The simple debate is: how many good prospects, and which ones.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

http://www.desipio.com/?p=2520
<!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

http://www.desipio.com/?p=2520<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not defending Morrissey at all in any way, shape, or form... but that post made me want to put my head through my monitor.
<!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

I'm not defending Morrissey at all in any way, shape, or form... but that post made me want to put my head through my monitor.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought it was spot-on.
<!--quoteo(post=70101:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:56 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

Me too. I agreed with just about everything said in the Desipio post
<!--quoteo(post=70101:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

Me too. Morrissey is a boob.
Spot-on.

I don't read Morrissey enough to know if he's a boob or not. But anytime a writer spends 80% of his column explaining why a certain player should be traded for <i>because he's a really nice guy</i>, the Juan Pierre/David Eckstein beeper goes off in my head.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=70103:date=Nov 24 2009, 09:06 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70101:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

Again, it has nothing to do with Morrissey. I thought the Morrissey article was idiotic. The guy is just being a complete douche in every way. He's meticulously disecting every little point and wore out his sarcasm quota in the first two paragraphs.
<!--quoteo(post=70105:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70103:date=Nov 24 2009, 09:06 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70101:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

Again, it has nothing to do with Morrissey. I thought the Morrissey article was idiotic. The guy is just being a complete douche in every way. He's meticulously disecting every little point and wore out his sarcasm quota in the first two paragraphs.
It would have been douchey if he gave another blogger's post the same kind of treatment. But Morrissey is a professional sports writer for the biggest newspaper in the city -- he deserves getting the business if he churns out bullshit like that.
<!--quoteo(post=70108:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:13 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70105:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70103:date=Nov 24 2009, 09:06 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70101:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 24 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70099:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 24 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70097:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 24 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I hate to post things from other blogs, but this post from Desipio killed me today. Rick Morrissey really is an embarrassment, possibly even more incompetent than Phil Rogers.

It would have been douchey if he gave another blogger's post the same kind of treatment. But Morrissey is a professional sports writer for the biggest newspaper in the city -- he deserves getting the business if he churns out bullshit like that.
I agree. I guess Desipio isn't everyone's cup 'o tea, but Dolan especially cracks me up.
Memo to Desipio:

Tiresome read. Just tell me why Morrisey's wrong...not what his whole act sucks. I already know that and it's boring to read a dissection of. Take the high road and cut his argument to ribbons and leave it at that.
Everything about that post was awesome, everything.