Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curtis Granderson?
That's the thing. If we play our cards right, he could be had for a reasonable group of prospects. If it works and we end up getting the 2007-08 version of Granderson, I will be very pleased. But I have no interest in trading away top talent just to get the 2006 or 2009 Granderson. That would be so Cub.
I would give them Fox, Flaherty, and a 2nd tier SP (Carpenter/Atkins/Caridad)
I just got done putting these number on Ace's BN article, but I thought it would be a good idea to put them here too.

Granderson has had an above league average IsoD for his career, especially the last two years. He racked up 65 BB per year over the last 4 years.

The reason his numbers looked so bad last year was essentially luck. He had a very high line drive percentage(21%) and a very low BA for ball in play (.272).

He has a .484 career slugging % while playing home games in Detroit. He has a .516 career slugging % on away games.
Let's forget about Granderson and start thinking about Carl Crawford. He's supposed to be available because the Rays are cash strapped and he will get much more expensive after this season. Offer Vitters, Castro and pitcher and I think he is ours.
<!--quoteo(post=69536:date=Nov 19 2009, 09:57 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 19 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's forget about Granderson and start thinking about Carl Crawford. He's supposed to be available because the Rays are cash strapped and he will get much more expensive after this season. Offer Vitters, Castro and pitcher and I think he is ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Isn't he a FA after the season? I don't think I would make that trade.
<!--quoteo(post=69536:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's forget about Granderson and start thinking about Carl Crawford. He's supposed to be available because the Rays are cash strapped and he will get much more expensive after this season. Offer Vitters, Castro and pitcher and I think he is ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, Granderson is pretty much better than Crawford in every way except Crawford is a much better base stealer and has a better batting average. I don't understand why you would want him more than Granderson. That's not even talking about the fact that you would be willing to throw much more at the Rays for Crawford for much only one year of service.
I didn't see anywhere people talking about this article from MLB insiders club magazine

Seems like a sharp guy.

Does this change anyone's opinion?
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=69599:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I didn't see anywhere people talking about this article from MLB insiders club magazine

Seems like a sharp guy.

Does this change anyone's opinion?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's always seemed like a really good guy and he does a great interview. But that's pretty secondary. Not even secondary -- tertiary. Maybe even below that (whatever the word for that is).
<!--quoteo(post=69602:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69599:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I didn't see anywhere people talking about this article from MLB insiders club magazine

Seems like a sharp guy.

He's always seemed like a really good guy and he does a great interview. But that's pretty secondary. Not even secondary -- tertiary. Maybe even below that (whatever the word for that is).
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well...I never saw uncle Milty in an article like that, just sayin.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=69605:date=Nov 19 2009, 02:03 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69602:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69599:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I didn't see anywhere people talking about this article from MLB insiders club magazine

Seems like a sharp guy.

Uncle Milty's biggest problem last season was that he didn't hit like he usually hits. If he stays healthy (like he did) and hits the ball (he didn't), most of his shenanigans are forgiven without a second thought.
<!--quoteo(post=69607:date=Nov 19 2009, 02:06 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69605:date=Nov 19 2009, 02:03 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69602:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69599:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I didn't see anywhere people talking about this article from MLB insiders club magazine

Seems like a sharp guy.

Uncle Milty's biggest problem last season was that he didn't hit like he usually hits. If he stays healthy (like he did) and hits the ball (he didn't), most of his shenanigans are forgiven without a second thought.

Then he tells a reporter that the bat boys are spitting in his Gatorade and the wheels fall off.

People...he's a crazy person.
<!--quoteo(post=69559:date=Nov 19 2009, 12:32 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 19 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69536:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's forget about Granderson and start thinking about Carl Crawford. He's supposed to be available because the Rays are cash strapped and he will get much more expensive after this season. Offer Vitters, Castro and pitcher and I think he is ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, Granderson is pretty much better than Crawford in every way except Crawford is a much better base stealer and has a better batting average. I don't understand why you would want him more than Granderson. That's not even talking about the fact that you would be willing to throw much more at the Rays for Crawford for much only one year of service.

Scarey, you are flat out wrong. Crawford is much better in almost every hitting category. Plus Crawford fits more in line with what this team lacks. I'd also argue that Crawford is the better fielder even though he plays LF.

Granderson: .249 AVG / .327 OBP / .780 OPS / 30 HR / 71 RBI / 20 SB/ 141 K
Crawford: .305 AVG / .364 OBP / .816 OPS / 15 HR / 68 RBI / 60 SB / 99 K
<!--quoteo(post=69607:date=Nov 19 2009, 02:06 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69605:date=Nov 19 2009, 02:03 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69602:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69599:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Nov 19 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I didn't see anywhere people talking about this article from MLB insiders club magazine
Seems like a sharp guy.
Needless to say, I agree with Butch on this one. If Ol' Milty is leading the league in OPS, (which would mean that the Cubs are winning a lot more games), you don't think there's a whole lot less tension in the clubhouse and in the stands?

As far as Granderson: he is a sharp guy, perhaps one of the coolest big leaguers out there. I love him. But as Butch implied, being a great player on the field is more important to me.

I also think Crawford's value <i>is</i> certainly higher than Granderson's, and I agree that he would "fit" better in our lineup. He'd be a true leadoff hitter, and he could man CF (and probably win a Gold Glove...he's probably the best fielding LFer in baseball.)
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=69675:date=Nov 19 2009, 08:41 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 19 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69559:date=Nov 19 2009, 12:32 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 19 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69536:date=Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Nov 19 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's forget about Granderson and start thinking about Carl Crawford. He's supposed to be available because the Rays are cash strapped and he will get much more expensive after this season. Offer Vitters, Castro and pitcher and I think he is ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Scarey, you are flat out wrong. Crawford is much better in almost every hitting category. Plus Crawford fits more in line with what this team lacks. I'd also argue that Crawford is the better fielder even though he plays LF.

Granderson: .249 AVG / .327 OBP / .780 OPS / 30 HR / 71 RBI / 20 SB/ 141 K
Crawford: .305 AVG / .364 OBP / .816 OPS / 15 HR / 68 RBI / 60 SB / 99 K

How about instead of comparing one season that Granderson was ridiculously unlucky in, you try comparing their career averages?

Also, how can you say Crawford is the better center fielder when Crawford has spent less than 5% of his major league innings in center?

Lastly, what do you mean Crawford is more in line with what this team needs? Granderson gets on base more, hits for much more power, and is an actual center fielder. I think he fits in way better than a guy who's batting average holds up his OBP, plays left field, and can steal a base.
I've always liked Scarey.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.