Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roy Halladay
I haven't seen our name connected to him, but I'd love to hear what it would take to get him. If Toronto wants major league ready prospects, then we don't stand a chance. But I'd give up our top guys to land Halladay without thinking twice. Our rotation is going to look ugly this season and we've really been lacking a true ace for the last few years.
Halladay is a FA after 2010 though...isn't he? Would you pony up top prospects for him if we can't sign him to an extension? And, if the Cubs are trying to unload salary now, do you think they could even afford the 18+ million a year that Halladay is going to want? I would love to have the guy, but unless he was signed to an extension I wouldn't trade for him.
are the cubs unloading salary or are they unloading bradley's salary/
Wang.
I'd love this idea, provided that we could re-sign him to an extension. Not sure if that is possible just yet though. I'd love to take some pressure off Z and slot him down to #2 or even #3.
<!--quoteo(post=69583:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:00 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 19 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd love this idea, provided that we could re-sign him to an extension. Not sure if that is possible just yet though. I'd love to take some pressure off Z and slot him down to #2 or even #3.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is there a way we could be assured of signing him before a trade went down?
<!--quoteo(post=69589:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:33 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69583:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:00 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 19 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd love this idea, provided that we could re-sign him to an extension. Not sure if that is possible just yet though. I'd love to take some pressure off Z and slot him down to #2 or even #3.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought I read somewhere recently that the Jays would allow teams to negotiate an extension for a short time, if the right trade partner were to come along. It was on MLBTraderumors about a week or so ago.
<!--quoteo(post=69591:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:37 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 19 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69589:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:33 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 19 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69583:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:00 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 19 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd love this idea, provided that we could re-sign him to an extension. Not sure if that is possible just yet though. I'd love to take some pressure off Z and slot him down to #2 or even #3.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought I read somewhere recently that the Jays would allow teams to negotiate an extension for a short time, if the right trade partner were to come along. It was on MLBTraderumors about a week or so ago.
Make it happen.
Yep, here is the link:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/blue...h-halladay.html
You guys realize that Halladay is going to be 33 at the beginning of the season, right? Do you really want to have a 33 year old pitcher signed long term? I realize it's Roy freaking Halladay, but baseball players generally are not lasting as long post-steroid era.

Plus, this isn't happening. It's just too much money for the Cubs to take on right now.
<!--quoteo(post=69597:date=Nov 19 2009, 01:47 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 19 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You guys realize that Halladay is going to be 33 at the beginning of the season, right? Do you really want to have a 33 year old pitcher signed long term? I realize it's Roy freaking Halladay, but baseball players generally are not lasting as long post-steroid era.

Plus, this isn't happening. It's just too much money for the Cubs to take on right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Depends what you mean by long term. A three or four year extension -- yes. Absolutely.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are one of the teams the Blue Jays have contacted regarding pitcher Roy Halladay. However, before Cubs fans start salivating at the prospect of the former Cy Young winner in the rotation with Ted Lilly, Carlos Zambrano, and Ryan Dempster, there's a catch. He's owed $15.75 million in 2010, and the Blue Jays want some of the Cubs' top prospects. No. 1, the team can't take on Halladay's salary. The Blue Jays apparently have a wish list and Milton Bradley is not on it. A player like highly regarded shortstop Starlin Castro most likely is, and the Cubs don't want to part with him, especially since they might only have Halladay for one year. The right-hander was 17-10 with a 2.79 ERA this season, and is a free agent after 2010. One thing the Blue Jays did make clear to the Cubs is they want to move Halladay this offseason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=69827:date=Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are one of the teams the Blue Jays have contacted regarding pitcher Roy Halladay. However, before Cubs fans start salivating at the prospect of the former Cy Young winner in the rotation with Ted Lilly, Carlos Zambrano, and Ryan Dempster, there's a catch. He's owed $15.75 million in 2010, and the Blue Jays want some of the Cubs' top prospects. No. 1, the team can't take on Halladay's salary. The Blue Jays apparently have a wish list and Milton Bradley is not on it. A player like highly regarded shortstop Starlin Castro most likely is, and the Cubs don't want to part with him, especially since they might only have Halladay for one year. The right-hander was 17-10 with a 2.79 ERA this season, and is a free agent after 2010. One thing the Blue Jays did make clear to the Cubs is they want to move Halladay this offseason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Damn damn damn damn damn. I would *so* love to have Halladay.

Just curious -- where did that come from?
<!--quoteo(post=69828:date=Nov 20 2009, 04:04 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Nov 20 2009, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69827:date=Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are one of the teams the Blue Jays have contacted regarding pitcher Roy Halladay. However, before Cubs fans start salivating at the prospect of the former Cy Young winner in the rotation with Ted Lilly, Carlos Zambrano, and Ryan Dempster, there's a catch. He's owed $15.75 million in 2010, and the Blue Jays want some of the Cubs' top prospects. No. 1, the team can't take on Halladay's salary. The Blue Jays apparently have a wish list and Milton Bradley is not on it. A player like highly regarded shortstop Starlin Castro most likely is, and the Cubs don't want to part with him, especially since they might only have Halladay for one year. The right-hander was 17-10 with a 2.79 ERA this season, and is a free agent after 2010. One thing the Blue Jays did make clear to the Cubs is they want to move Halladay this offseason.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Damn damn damn damn damn. I would *so* love to have Halladay.

Just curious -- where did that come from?
Muskat. Dumb bitch but she wouldn't just make something like this up.
@TheBlogfines
Ace did a write-up on it
@TheBlogfines
I read that earlier today and felt like such a sucker for believing that Halladay might actually be a Cub come opening day. Anyway, if it's possible to get Halladay with a package of ANY of our top prospects except Castro, I'd be all for it and wouldn't even think twice. I know he's 33, but he isn't the type of pitcher that you'd worry about falling off a cliff even in his mid-to-late 30s. That said, I think payroll, and not prospects are holding us back in trading for Roy. But man, did I get excited when I noticed this story today, even if it only lasted for a split second.