Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roy Halladay
He's already had Tommy John surgery, but man would I love to get him.
@TheBlogfines
Is this a precursor to him becoming the 2010 version of Brian Roberts/Jake Peavy?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

We would have to be able to get Halladay signed to an extension, that is the only way I would make a trade for him. It we are able to get him to an extension then I honestly don't care if we do trade Castro. Halladay is a proven Cy Young pitcher, Castro could turn out to be good or be a bust.
<!--quoteo(post=69845:date=Nov 20 2009, 08:33 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Nov 20 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We would have to be able to get Halladay signed to an extension, that is the only way I would make a trade for him. It we are able to get him to an extension then I honestly don't care if we do trade Castro. Halladay is a proven Cy Young pitcher, Castro could turn out to be good or be a bust.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't trade hanley castro for halladay, assuming he can be extended. done and done.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=69846:date=Nov 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Nov 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69845:date=Nov 20 2009, 08:33 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Nov 20 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We would have to be able to get Halladay signed to an extension, that is the only way I would make a trade for him. It we are able to get him to an extension then I honestly don't care if we do trade Castro. Halladay is a proven Cy Young pitcher, Castro could turn out to be good or be a bust.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't trade hanley castro for halladay, assuming he can be extended. done and done.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd accept it and would love to have Halladay, but I'd just hope we wouldn't gut the farm system in the process. I'm not someone who puts a lot of faith in our ability to develop young players, but the way this team is put together right now and with all the payroll that's been wasted over the past few years, we're gonna have to start relying on player development sooner or later. We just can't sustain this kind of spending, so we'll have to start mixing in some young, cheaper players eventually. Anyway, I'd kill to have Halladay.
Clapp has the right idea. If we're going for a starter, it should be a guy like Johnson. Halladay is great, but for the amount of quality years he's going to give the any team that trades for him, he's going to cost too much in terms of prospects.

I'm pretty sure Johnson would cost less in terms of prospects and would give the Cubs at least 7 years of quality pitching if he stays healthy and the Cubs actually hang on to him that long.
<!--quoteo(post=69852:date=Nov 20 2009, 10:15 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 20 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Clapp has the right idea. If we're going for a starter, it should be a guy like Johnson. Halladay is great, but for the amount of quality years he's going to give the any team that trades for him, he's going to cost too much in terms of prospects.

I'm pretty sure Johnson would cost less in terms of prospects and would give the Cubs at least 7 years of quality pitching if he stays healthy and the Cubs actually hang on to him that long.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh. This particular iteration of the Cubs' window is the next two years. Halladay is probably the better move right now. In a couple years, it would be a guy like Johnson.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=69844:date=Nov 20 2009, 08:32 PM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Nov 20 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is this a precursor to him becoming the 2010 version of Brian Roberts/Jake Peavy?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Those two trades seemed more realistic.
Get him. Get him now.
<!--quoteo(post=69853:date=Nov 20 2009, 09:20 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Nov 20 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69852:date=Nov 20 2009, 10:15 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 20 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Clapp has the right idea. If we're going for a starter, it should be a guy like Johnson. Halladay is great, but for the amount of quality years he's going to give the any team that trades for him, he's going to cost too much in terms of prospects.

I'm pretty sure Johnson would cost less in terms of prospects and would give the Cubs at least 7 years of quality pitching if he stays healthy and the Cubs actually hang on to him that long.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh. This particular iteration of the Cubs' window is the next two years. Halladay is probably the better move right now. In a couple years, it would be a guy like Johnson.

Great point Ace...the real question is when is the window open, when will it shut, and is there some plan from Ricketts that will either open it wider or longer, are they ready to try and jump head first into the window, and hope it is open, and are they willing to risk the results if they go balls to the wall and dont get through this time (2 years).

I was talking to a friend this weekend who suggested gutting it like a fish, paying whatever they need to trade guys like Soriano, Z, etc. for top tier prospects, suck for four years, and go for it then... I said there is no way they do this. Not with new ownership wanting to win early to gain credibility.

So fellas - what's with this window? Open? How wide? For how long? What needs to be trimmed/added to fit through it? What's the downside if the Cubs get a face full of glass?

The good news is that this division will be no less winable next year than it was this year.
My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=69853:date=Nov 20 2009, 11:20 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Nov 20 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69852:date=Nov 20 2009, 10:15 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Nov 20 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Clapp has the right idea. If we're going for a starter, it should be a guy like Johnson. Halladay is great, but for the amount of quality years he's going to give the any team that trades for him, he's going to cost too much in terms of prospects.

My point is (and I'm sure Clapp's too) is why not get a guy like Johnson who can help prop that window open longer. As it is, the window is slowly closing already. This team does not have the capabilities of acquiring difference-making talent because of the financial stress it's under. I don't really know that anything will make this team more flexible even to acquire Halladay.

To me, for the way this team is set up, I think Johnson would be the better consideration. Plus, you get more years of service for the amount of prospects you're giving up.
<!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

If the current window closes, which appears to be happening in the next 1-2 years, you would hope that we could fill any holes with new players, whether by trade, FA or internal player development. I know we're not there yet, but if we follow the Red Sox model as Ricketts has stated, we should at the very least be contenders year in and year out. Maybe we won't be a powerhouse, but at a minimum, we could and should be a factor in the playoff race every season.
<!--quoteo(post=69994:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

If the current window closes, which appears to be happening in the next 1-2 years, you would hope that we could fill any holes with new players, whether by trade, FA or internal player development. I know we're not there yet, but if we follow the Red Sox model as Ricketts has stated, we should at the very least be contenders year in and year out. Maybe we won't be a powerhouse, but at a minimum, we could and should be a factor in the playoff race every season.

I thought Ricketts' comments about the "Red Sox Model" had more to do with renovating Wrigley Field than how the team was built?
<!--quoteo(post=69997:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69994:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

I thought Ricketts' comments about the "Red Sox Model" had more to do with renovating Wrigley Field than how the team was built?
I took it to mean both with respect to the fan/ballpark experience and the organizational model as well. You could be right though, and I could be assuming too much.