Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roy Halladay
I remember him stating that he wants to follow the Red Sox on how they built their team by developing the farm and filling gaps with quality free agents. During his introductory press conference though, I believe he was referring specifically to the way they built up Fenway.
There arn't a whole lot of teams with the ability to add a 15 mil contract. I don't think the Cubs will have to give up Castro. I wouldn't hang up about extending him, either.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I wouldn't hang up about extending him, either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe the gayest thing ever said in this forum.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=69998:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69997:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69994:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

If the current window closes, which appears to be happening in the next 1-2 years, you would hope that we could fill any holes with new players, whether by trade, FA or internal player development. I know we're not there yet, but if we follow the Red Sox model as Ricketts has stated, we should at the very least be contenders year in and year out. Maybe we won't be a powerhouse, but at a minimum, we could and should be a factor in the playoff race every season.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought Ricketts' comments about the "Red Sox Model" had more to do with renovating Wrigley Field than how the team was built?
I took it to mean both with respect to the fan/ballpark experience and the organizational model as well. You could be right though, and I could be assuming too much.
I hate to say it, rok, but you are. The "Red Sox model" concerns Fenway/Wrigley, period.
If we were following the "Red Sox method," things like the recent Grabow deal would not have been even remotely considered.

We're following the Hendry method.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I just hope we don't use the "pull out and pray" method.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=70003:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:56 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 23 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69998:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69997:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69994:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

If the current window closes, which appears to be happening in the next 1-2 years, you would hope that we could fill any holes with new players, whether by trade, FA or internal player development. I know we're not there yet, but if we follow the Red Sox model as Ricketts has stated, we should at the very least be contenders year in and year out. Maybe we won't be a powerhouse, but at a minimum, we could and should be a factor in the playoff race every season.

I thought Ricketts' comments about the "Red Sox Model" had more to do with renovating Wrigley Field than how the team was built?
I took it to mean both with respect to the fan/ballpark experience and the organizational model as well. You could be right though, and I could be assuming too much.
I hate to say it, rok, but you are. The "Red Sox model" concerns Fenway/Wrigley, period.
If we were following the "Red Sox method," things like the recent Grabow deal would not have been even remotely considered.

I think I'm pretty much done trying to even attempt to have a meaningful conversation with you.
Good news to me.

There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=70003:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:56 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 23 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69998:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69997:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69994:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

Finger hurt. KB wrong. Rok right.

ricketts says

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->On the field we also wouldn't mind copying the Red Sox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=70008:date=Nov 23 2009, 05:25 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 23 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good news to me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You do realize that no one here takes you serious, correct?
<!--quoteo(post=70034:date=Nov 24 2009, 02:50 AM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Nov 24 2009, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought about deleting that, but it's too damn good.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, can't leave up the spam - especially the links.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=70003:date=Nov 23 2009, 05:56 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 23 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69998:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69997:date=Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Nov 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69994:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Nov 23 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=69989:date=Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Nov 23 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My finger hurts too much to type an opus, suffice to say that a team with resources like the Cubs should have very brief "closed" windows, if they have windows at all. They should have money for free agents, scouting, and signing draft picks that others are wary of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.

No matter what Rickett's says I'll beleive it when I see it. That Grabow deal was unneccessary and retarded. Hendry's not off to a good start and is continuing to commit future money when he doesn't have to. Especially in a down economy. Hendry should not be our GM. It is that simple. If we want to follow the Red Sox plan Jim Hendry needs to go. The whole reason why we have this short window is because of Hendry's mismanagement of dollars. He backloaded every contract and now we have no financial flexibility.
Ruby, obviously Daifan does.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
I thought about deleting that, but it's too damn good.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=70021:date=Nov 23 2009, 10:12 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Nov 23 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=70008:date=Nov 23 2009, 05:25 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 23 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good news to me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You do realize that no one here takes you serious, correct?

I take him seriously...understand his arguments...and find you impossible to read.
I know this is a little over the top, but what about this trade:

Cubs get Halladay.
Bluejays get DLee & 2 pitching prospects.

Cubs pick up Nick Johnson as a free agent.

I got nothin'.

Andy