Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawson and the HOF
Sounds like the Hall shut out Andre from all of the discussions and never even heard his side of things.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=c...s&type=lgns

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The hall announced its decision Wednesday. Dawson told WMVP-AM in Chicago he thought hall officials would discuss the issue with him in detail before the decision was made.

He said he wanted a chance to tell them "what really catapulted me to Hall of Fame status and pretty much what my preference was but I think their decision had been made. It was a little gut-wrenching for me to hear that but it's their decision."

"I'm disappointed," Dawson told the ESPN Radio affiliate. "I can proudly say that because Chicago was my preference."

Dawson's official statement issued by the hall was more circumspect.

"I respect the Hall of Fame's decision to put an Expos logo on my cap, and I understand their responsibility to make sure the logo represents the greatest impact in my career," Dawson said in Wednesday's statement. "Cubs fans will always be incredibly important in my heart, and I owe them so much for making my time in Chicago memorable, as did the fans in Montreal, Boston and South Florida, my home.

"But knowing that I'm on the Hall of Fame team is what's most important, as it is the highest honour I could imagine."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a load of crap.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Earlier this month, Hall president Jeff Idelson said "you want the logo to represent where this guy made his greatest impact. He was impactful in Montreal. He was impactful in Chicago, and to a much lesser extent Boston and Florida, but it's more of a case sitting down and collectively make a decision."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=77585:date=Jan 27 2010, 11:14 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 27 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seriously. Does anybody on this planet give a flying fuck about the Expos or their legacy? I feel like this decision was made only to piss off Cubs fans.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I definitely agree about the "Expos legacy" part. If Montreal really had a legacy, the club would still be in Montreal. I went up to Montreal in 1989 and they didn't care about the Expos or their CFL team. It was all Canadiens hockey stuff, and the only other sports talk or merchandise present at that time was NY Giants NFL stuff. Not even the Expos or their own football team.
<!--quoteo(post=77608:date=Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Tailgater)-->QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wasn't it Andre, when he retired, that said if he went into the HOF he would wear the cap of the team that paid him the most. Thus prompting the change in the HOF rules, wear they choose the cap.

I don't know why I have always thought this was the case so tell me if im wrong or right. Either way it doesnt change the fact that I love the man.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You are thinking of Wade Boggs. He signed his Tampa Bay contract with a guarantee that he'd wear a Devil Ray hat. The HoF got wind of this and instituted the rule that they get to pick the cap.
<!--quoteo(post=77684:date=Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77608:date=Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wasn't it Andre, when he retired, that said if he went into the HOF he would wear the cap of the team that paid him the most. Thus prompting the change in the HOF rules, wear they choose the cap.

I don't know why I have always thought this was the case so tell me if im wrong or right. Either way it doesnt change the fact that I love the man.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You are thinking of Wade Boggs. He signed his Tampa Bay contract with a guarantee that he'd wear a Devil Ray hat. The HoF got wind of this and instituted the rule that they get to pick the cap.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm fine with the Hall having the last word. But having the last word doesn't have to mean a total disregard for the player's wishes...or promising a sit-down and then blowing it off.

This is bush.
<!--quoteo(post=77684:date=Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77608:date=Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wasn't it Andre, when he retired, that said if he went into the HOF he would wear the cap of the team that paid him the most. Thus prompting the change in the HOF rules, wear they choose the cap.

I know Boggs did it but I have also heard that Dawson said the same thing.
I'd like to see some sort of outpouring of irrational, violent rage by Cubs fans, designed to scare the living fuck out of the HoF and terrorize them into changing their position on this.

Who's with me?
<!--quoteo(post=77771:date=Jan 27 2010, 05:49 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 27 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd like to see some sort of outpouring of irrational, violent rage by Cubs fans, designed to scare the living fuck out of the HoF and terrorize them into changing their position on this.

Who's with me?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm already there, friend.
<!--quoteo(post=77769:date=Jan 27 2010, 06:22 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jan 27 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77684:date=Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77608:date=Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Tailgater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 27 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wasn't it Andre, when he retired, that said if he went into the HOF he would wear the cap of the team that paid him the most. Thus prompting the change in the HOF rules, wear they choose the cap.

I know Boggs did it but I have also heard that Dawson said the same thing.

That would seem strange for a guy who signed a blank contract.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
I'm glad i'm not alone in this, and I have looked all over for more info regarding this.

Ace, you have to remember, Dawson was very pissed off at the Cubs, more so Larry Himes, for the way things ended. Himes really fucked him over in the end. I think he even expressed that he wanted nothing to do with the Cubs until things changed. I'm glad they did, and he's expressing some displeasure in the hall's decision.

For the record, once again, i'm upset about the hat choice as well. I just can't find an argument. He built his legacy in Montreal. He just perfected it at Wrigley.
Dawson won his MVP with the Cubs, but the majority of his HOF career was with the Expos. 3 of his 8 AS appearances were with the Expos. 6 of his 8 GG's were with the Expos. 3 of his 4 Silver Slugger awards were with the Expos. His ROY was with the Expos.

Sure, it would have been nice for him to go in as a Cub, but I can't argue with the HOF's decision for him to wear the Expos hat into the HOF.
I realize it's not quite the same but this whole deal makes me wonder how Sutter got in as a Cardinal.