Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawson and the HOF
<!--quoteo(post=74504:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:20 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jan 7 2010, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74502:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:12 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Jan 7 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm going to be interested to see what happens when Pedro retires. He pitched longer than Koufax, but neither have that gaudy win total. Pedro was the best for about 8 years though. Baseball-ref compares him with with 5 HOFers (Drysdale, Koufax, Marichal, Whitey Ford, and Chief Bender).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Pedro's a first ballot HOFer.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He should be, but given the way the voting has gone in recent years, I wouldn't be shocked if it took him a couple of ballots.
<!--quoteo(post=74493:date=Jan 7 2010, 01:07 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 7 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's still kind of amazing to me that Koufax made it to the Hall with only 11-12 years under his belt. Sure, 4 of those years were probably the most dominant in history for a SP, but longevity still has to count for something, and more than half of his career was mediocre at best. Even more surprising is that he retired at age 30, still in his prime and coming off arguably his best season. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be there, I'm just a little surprised that there isn't more controversy surrounding his induction.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree. Butch and I had this same argument a while ago. I wouldn't have voted for him.
Wang.
There's no chance Pedro isn't a first-ballot HOFer.
Pedro would get my vote, but it's not all about me. *wink wink*
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=74506:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:40 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 7 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74493:date=Jan 7 2010, 01:07 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jan 7 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's still kind of amazing to me that Koufax made it to the Hall with only 11-12 years under his belt. Sure, 4 of those years were probably the most dominant in history for a SP, but longevity still has to count for something, and more than half of his career was mediocre at best. Even more surprising is that he retired at age 30, still in his prime and coming off arguably his best season. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be there, I'm just a little surprised that there isn't more controversy surrounding his induction.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree. Butch and I had this same argument a while ago. I wouldn't have voted for him.
You wouldn't vote for Santo, either.
<!--quoteo(post=74509:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:42 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 7 2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74506:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:40 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 7 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74493:date=Jan 7 2010, 01:07 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jan 7 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's still kind of amazing to me that Koufax made it to the Hall with only 11-12 years under his belt. Sure, 4 of those years were probably the most dominant in history for a SP, but longevity still has to count for something, and more than half of his career was mediocre at best. Even more surprising is that he retired at age 30, still in his prime and coming off arguably his best season. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be there, I'm just a little surprised that there isn't more controversy surrounding his induction.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You wouldn't vote for Santo, either.

No, I wouldn't, but it wouldn't be a travesty if he got in. I wouldn't be pissed in the least.

If it were up to me, instead of inducting santo, I'd remove Brooks robinson and Bill mazeroski and Joe gordon and Phil Rizzuto and Ozzie Smith and others.
Wang.
Oh, and Nellie fox and Luis Aparicio. How the fuck did those guys get in?
Wang.
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind Koufax deserves to be there. That's just me though.
<!--quoteo(post=74537:date=Jan 7 2010, 01:37 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 7 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have absolutely no doubt in my mind Koufax deserves to be there. That's just me though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Koufax is considered one of the best pitchers ever, and Jim Brown is one of the best running backs ever. Neither had long careers. Longevity is overrated in their case.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=74513:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:49 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 7 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Oh, and Nellie fox and Luis Aparicio. How the fuck did those guys get in?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
im still stuck on how someone voted david segui for HOF.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=74612:date=Jan 7 2010, 06:17 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Jan 7 2010, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74513:date=Jan 7 2010, 02:49 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 7 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Oh, and Nellie fox and Luis Aparicio. How the fuck did those guys get in?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
im still stuck on how someone voted david segui for HOF.

It's stuff like this, and looking at some of the guys not in, and hearing the voters who refuse to vote anyone on the first ballot, and just the overall logical fallacy that a player is more deserving to be honored 10 years after they retire than 9 years that really has lead me to say who cares about the hall of fame. Its just a building. I don't need a bunch of arrogant baseball writers to tell me who the great players of the past where, I can look at what happened, study the stats, read the stories of the players who shaped the game and determine for myself which players really stood out and deserve to be remembered.
The Moody Blues still aren't in the R&R HOF.
<!--quoteo(post=74634:date=Jan 7 2010, 07:32 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 7 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Moody Blues still aren't in the R&R HOF.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
and Madonna is. How do you feel about that?
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=74637:date=Jan 7 2010, 07:39 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 7 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74634:date=Jan 7 2010, 07:32 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 7 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Moody Blues still aren't in the R&R HOF.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like it's just another bullshit theme park.
<!--quoteo(post=74637:date=Jan 7 2010, 07:39 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 7 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74634:date=Jan 7 2010, 07:32 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 7 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Moody Blues still aren't in the R&R HOF.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Madonna deserves to be there. Moody Blues does too.
Wang.