Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOLY MINNESOTA TWINS!!
A-Rod has signed not one, but <i>two</i> quarter-billion dollar contracts. I know they overlap, but both the Rangers and the Yankees offered him that much, seven years apart.

That said, 9-figure contracts rarely work out. Kevin Brown, Barry Zito, Alf...for every Manny or Jeter, there seem to be a lot of busts.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=84269:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A-Rod has signed not one, but <i>two</i> quarter-billion dollar contracts. I know they overlap, but both the Rangers and the Yankees offered him that much, seven years apart.

That said, 9-figure contracts rarely work out. Kevin Brown, Barry Zito, Alf...for every Manny or Jeter, there seem to be a lot of busts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Did the Jeter deal really work out though? I know he's performed well and hasn't been a bust, but I certainly don't think he's worth $189M.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=84287:date=Mar 23 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 23 2010, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84269:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A-Rod has signed not one, but <i>two</i> quarter-billion dollar contracts. I know they overlap, but both the Rangers and the Yankees offered him that much, seven years apart.

That said, 9-figure contracts rarely work out. Kevin Brown, Barry Zito, Alf...for every Manny or Jeter, there seem to be a lot of busts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Did the Jeter deal really work out though? I know he's performed well and hasn't been a bust, but I certainly don't think he's worth $189M.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe not based solely on performance, but Jeter is the face of that team and undoubtedly makes the Yankees a lot of money. Not a bad player either....
<!--quoteo(post=84288:date=Mar 23 2010, 10:32 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 23 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84287:date=Mar 23 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 23 2010, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84269:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 23 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A-Rod has signed not one, but <i>two</i> quarter-billion dollar contracts. I know they overlap, but both the Rangers and the Yankees offered him that much, seven years apart.

Maybe not based solely on performance, but Jeter is the face of that team and undoubtedly makes the Yankees a lot of money. Not a bad player either....
I agree with that 100%, which is a lot like Mauer in that sense. I just think his performance is overrated, and I've thought that for a long, long time. Hall of Famer, and the best team captain in the game, but not the best overall shortstop in the league, and he never has been.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
I'm going to have to disagree here.
Jeter is one of those guys who was so vastly overrated early in his career, that for the past 5+ years, he's been underrated, almost as a backlash.
He was almost certainly the MVP of the AL in 2006, even though the writers inexplicably picked Morneau. And last year, he was 3rd in the AL MVP race, which led to a Yankee championship. Indeed, in the 9 years of the contract, he's finished in the top 15 of the MVP vote 6 times. He's never had a bad year. During the length of that contract, his team (and there's little doubt that he's the team leader) has finished in 1st place 7 out of the 9 years, and made the playoffs in 8 of those years.

He's going to easily attain 3,000 hits, and has an outside chance at 4,000. He's somehow managed to keep his nose clean, while playing in the most glaring media spotlight in all of pro sports.

Like with Pujols, I've never really liked the guy, but I definitely respect him.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=84183:date=Mar 23 2010, 04:34 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 23 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Stark's article:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The other day in spring training, I found myself sitting with a bunch of longtime scouts. The subject was Joe Mauer in general, and the amount of money he could make in particular.

"In a way," said one of those scouts, "I hope he gets out on the market next winter, because I'd love to see the Yankees and the Red Sox bidding against each other on that guy."

<b>We'll never know now how high they might have gone. But the annual salary everyone casually seemed to agree on was 30 million bucks. The only question was how many years. They never did settle on that. But let's just say that eight years was lower than any number thrown out there.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Were any SOI posters allowed to voice their opinions?
I'd kill to be Jeter for just one month. Young, handsome, and filthy rich. The face of the most winningest team in sports history. If I was Jeter for a month, I'd fake an injuy and just have a month long orgy with every hot chick in New York and all the drugs I could handle. Sure, I'd ruin him for life, but man what a ride. What a fucking ride.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=84298:date=Mar 24 2010, 07:16 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 24 2010, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd kill to be Jeter for just one month. Young, handsome, and filthy rich. The face of the most winningest team in sports history. If I was Jeter for a month, I'd fake an injuy and just have a month long orgy with every hot chick in New York and all the drugs I could handle. Sure, I'd ruin him for life, but man what a ride. What a fucking ride.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A month? Shit, I'd take a day. May not last as long, but you can still have just as much fun
If I were Jeter for a day, I'd construct a gigantic, complex Rube Goldberg type of device that ends with an anvil dropping on his balls from 50 feet up. Then I'd time it just right so I could place my (Jeter's) junk underneath the point of anvil impact right before my day of being Jeter is over.

That way, when Jeter goes back to being himself (and me being myself, of course), he'll see a gumball roll down a series of ramps, knocking over dominoes, spinning around little flags, etc. And he'll realize, just a second too late, that the device ends with his balls being smashed into oblivion.

That's what I'd do.
<!--quoteo(post=84321:date=Mar 24 2010, 12:16 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 24 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If I were Jeter for a day, I'd construct a gigantic, complex Rube Goldberg type of device that ends with an anvil dropping on his balls from 50 feet up. Then I'd time it just right so I could place my (Jeter's) junk underneath the point of anvil impact right before my day of being Jeter is over.

That way, when Jeter goes back to being himself (and me being myself, of course), he'll see a gumball roll down a series of ramps, knocking over dominoes, spinning around little flags, etc. And he'll realize, just a second too late, that the device ends with his balls being smashed into oblivion.

That's what I'd do.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Funny, I had the exact same idea, only it involved Nick Swisher.
You've really got a lot of anger in ya don't ya kid?
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
I like the idea of broads and blow better.
Wang.