Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOLY MINNESOTA TWINS!!
<!--quoteo(post=84044:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:52 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84042:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:50 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 22 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84040:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:48 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84034:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:30 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 22 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84032:date=Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83977:date=Mar 22 2010, 04:52 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Mar 22 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83897:date=Mar 22 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 22 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83822:date=Mar 22 2010, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Remember how happy we were that the twins chose Mauer over Prior? *sigh*<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It was much less painful when it looked like Soto was going to be a star.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even though we would not have taken Mauer with the second pick, we would have taken Teixiera.

I proooooooobably wouldn't have complained about that outcome either.
Right... But we wouldn't have been able to keep him past 08, and Derrek Lee's been terrific, and even better than Teixeira a couple of seasons.

Really, there's no reason to complain about anything the Cubs did. They made the right pick by taking arguably the best pitcher out of college since Roger Clemens, and the guy was already a top-5 pitcher in the league soon after. It's just like the Nats absolutely made the right decision in taking Strasburg, even if he ruins his arm in a couple years like Prior did. Just bad Cubs luck. I'm sure Mauer would've sucked in a Cubs uniform anyway.

Oh, the Cubs did the right thing, no doubt. Just funny how it turned out.

If by "funny" you mean typically Cub-like and pathetic.

Within the context of the Cubs, is there any other kind of funny?

Only rarely.
Prior?

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever heard of him.
<!--quoteo(post=84056:date=Mar 22 2010, 08:14 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Mar 22 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Prior?

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever heard of him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

“Where are you from, son?” “Madison City, Missouri sir!” “…Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever heard of it.”
<!--quoteo(post=84036:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:35 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 22 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84034:date=Mar 22 2010, 07:30 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 22 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84032:date=Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83977:date=Mar 22 2010, 04:52 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Mar 22 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83897:date=Mar 22 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 22 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83822:date=Mar 22 2010, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Remember how happy we were that the twins chose Mauer over Prior? *sigh*<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even though we would not have taken Mauer with the second pick, we would have taken Teixiera.

Right... But we wouldn't have been able to keep him past 08, and Derrek Lee's been terrific, and even better than Teixeira a couple of seasons.

Really, there's no reason to complain about anything the Cubs did. They made the right pick by taking arguably the best pitcher out of college since Roger Clemens, and the guy was already a top-5 pitcher in the league soon after. It's just like the Nats absolutely made the right decision in taking Strasburg, even if he ruins his arm in a couple years like Prior did. Just bad Cubs luck. I'm sure Mauer would've sucked in a Cubs uniform anyway.

Wait, are you saying, with the benefit of hindsight as to health and development, you wouldn't have preferred the Cubs draft Teixiera? I would, like whoa.

My original point was addressing Butcher and his statement about Soto hopefully taking the sting out a little. I took that as Mauer would have been our choice after Prior, but it would have went to Teixiera since he would have been drafted to be the 3rd baseman of the future.

Now I don't know if Teixiera had problems at 3rd or he was simply blocked by Blalock, but since he was moved to another position and not Blalock, I say that if he did come to the Cubs he would have been hyped to be the next Santo, struggled defensively and crack under the unforgiving scrutiny of Cubs fans and the media.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
<!--quoteo(post=84058:date=Mar 22 2010, 08:22 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 22 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84056:date=Mar 22 2010, 08:14 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Mar 22 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Prior?

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever heard of him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

“Where are you from, son?” “Madison City, Missouri sir!” “…Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever heard of it.”

That's the first thing that popped into my head as well. Love the Dirty Dozen!
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=84044:date=Mar 22 2010, 07:52 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84042:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:50 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 22 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84040:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:48 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84034:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:30 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 22 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84032:date=Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83977:date=Mar 22 2010, 04:52 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Mar 22 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83897:date=Mar 22 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 22 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83822:date=Mar 22 2010, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 22 2010, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Remember how happy we were that the twins chose Mauer over Prior? *sigh*<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, the Cubs did the right thing, no doubt. Just funny how it turned out.

If by "funny" you mean typically Cub-like and pathetic.

Within the context of the Cubs, is there any other kind of funny?

There's also the kind of funny where you're driving your new Mercedes convertible, hear something funny on the radio, and crash your car into a tree. The Cubs also have that kind of funny.
Mauer's contract will probably turn out to be like Todd Helton's...he'll give them good production, but it won't be enough to be worth the money in the long run. And the last few years of the deal, when he's a 30-something DH-1B, will really look bad.

And I do think that the Twins could have got a better deal. It's true that you don't want to have him on the open market, especially when Boston is seeking a catcher. But the Yankees already have the best catching prospect alive (Jesus Montero), so it's unlikely that they'd drive up the numbers with Mauer.

Anyway, it's a moot point now. The Twins did what they had to do; their fans would have revolted if they'd let their most popular player since Kirby Puckett walk.

And Tom and Butch have to be excited at the prospect of the Twins being the favorite in the AL Central for the next 5 years or so.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=84149:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:13 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 23 2010, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And I do think that the Twins could have got a better deal

The Twins did what they had to do...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is it?
I really like how people keep thinking that he would have signed for less than that to stay in Minnesota.
<!--quoteo(post=84149:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:13 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 23 2010, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Tom and Butch have to be excited at the prospect of the Twins being the favorite in the AL Central for the next 5 years or so.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
As good as Mauer is, I don't think this comes anywhere close to guaranteeing them AL Central favorites.
<!--quoteo(post=84160:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:31 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 23 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84149:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:13 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 23 2010, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And Tom and Butch have to be excited at the prospect of the Twins being the favorite in the AL Central for the next 5 years or so.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
As good as Mauer is, I don't think this comes anywhere close to guaranteeing them AL Central favorites.
Yep, and what concerns me the most about them is that, as much as I hated their old ballpark, they had a ridiculous home field advantage there. The Sox would pee themselves just thinking about having to play the Twins there. I believe the new ballpark will be problematic for them.

But keeping Mauer is nice.
From an ESPN Fantasy Baseball article:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->13. As R.J. Anderson pointed out in his excellent Insider piece, of the 72 home runs that Joe Mauer has hit in his big league career, 46 percent have been hit to left field, including 58 percent last year. Each of the "left-field home runs" went farther than 350 feet, according to HitTrackerOnline.com
14. In the Twins' new home stadium, the left-field wall is 328 feet, or 15 feet closer than it was at the Metrodome.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
328?!
Wow. Seems like they need to sign a right-handed power/pull hitter.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=84166:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:41 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Mar 23 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From an ESPN Fantasy Baseball article:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->13. As R.J. Anderson pointed out in his excellent Insider piece, of the 72 home runs that Joe Mauer has hit in his big league career, 46 percent have been hit to left field, including 58 percent last year. Each of the "left-field home runs" went farther than 350 feet, according to HitTrackerOnline.com
14. In the Twins' new home stadium, the left-field wall is 328 feet, or 15 feet closer than it was at the Metrodome.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's great for their power hitters, of which they have a few, but I wonder how their pitching staff will adjust. Also, the cold Spring and Fall Minnesota weather is not conducive to great offensive production, but it remains to be seen. It will be a huge change for them regardless.
<!--quoteo(post=84155:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:25 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Mar 23 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really like how people keep thinking that he would have signed for less than that to stay in Minnesota.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless you think another cub was prepared to pay for 8 at 23 per, the Twins overpaid.