Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't look now...
Given his recent (about 15 games) resurgence, do you trade him? Assume you'd have to eat the deal to get anything good and that Ricketts isn't willing to do that. Do you put him on waivers and let him walk if someone is willing to pick up that deal?

Is there a team out there willing to both eat most of that deal and give up a decent prospect? The Cubs are on the hook for over 20mm more to Aramis (between the rest of this year, next year and his buyout)

I just wonder if they need to do something really bold to try and trim back payroll to make it possible to rebuild.

I hope they don't move him - when he is hot, Aramis carries a team like few others can. But with 20mm left, he's definitely a candidate to be moved...

Thoughts?

Unless the Cubs are going to do a serious Marlins-type sell-off, it doesn't make sense to trade away a guy who has been the team's best player for years. He's 32, and his production will probably never match his age 26-31 production, but if the team plans on competing next year, it'd be an odd move to ditch him.

Needless to say, we'd also be selling him at his absolute nadir, thus getting zip in return, and probably having to eat a big chunk of change. Vitters isn't ready yet...it just doesn't make sense, unless Ricketts wants to seriously slash payroll, and start all over again.
And I'm not against that, per se. But I can't see it happening.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
The Cubs had garbage at 3B for far too long to dump Ramirez now.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=106381:date=Jul 20 2010, 07:49 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 20 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Cubs had garbage at 3B for far too long to dump Ramirez now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you think I'm just going to sit idly by and let you call Vance Law and Luis Sanchez garbage you are correct.
We aren't winning next year with this poo poo platter of a team. I coould care less what happens to Aramis as long as it puts us in a better position in 2012 and beyond.
Hard to see Aramis being moved, if for anything else he is the best 3B (sorry Santo lovers) this team has ever had and still has a couple years left in his tank. I think this year is a product of injury (thumb) affecting his swing which fucked with his confidence far longer than anyone expected. But if he can do 1/2 to 2/3 what he has been doing the last two weeks consistently, he is the best option at 3rd for now.

But, the idea of winning this year should be 100% cleared out of all fans' head, and probably not next year, although I expect next year to be a little more competitive.

And I hate to say it, but I think everyone on here and more could have written last night's script and been within about 90% accuracy. Coming off a nice series win against a decent (albeit struggling) Phillies team, at home, the shitty Astros in town...oops. Blowout loss. Again, that goes back to the top. This team needs a new manager something fierce.
Dylan McKay is my hero
Gotta agree with Willis on the Aram injury. I'm surprised to see everyone putting his trade value at an all time low... He was hurt for crying out loud. That said, now that he's looking like his old self, if we can get fair value for him, I think we absolutely need to explore our trade options with him.
<!--quoteo(post=106423:date=Jul 20 2010, 09:55 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 20 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Gotta agree with Willis on the Aram injury. I'm surprised to see everyone putting his trade value at an all time low... He was hurt for crying out loud. That said, now that he's looking like his old self, if we can get fair value for him, I think we absolutely need to explore our trade options with him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The question I would ask CC is what is fair value for him given 20mm left on his contract and some injuries of late? I really don't know...

Who is out there who needs a 3B and would eat that sort of salary?

ARam probably could be moved to the AL to be a part-time DH (my preference) since his defense hasn't been all that great as of late. I don't think we would have a tough time trading him, but we'd still essentially be selling low.
<!--quoteo(post=106500:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:24 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->ARam probably could be moved to the AL to be a part-time DH (my preference) since his defense hasn't been all that great as of late. I don't think we would have a tough time trading him, but we'd still essentially be selling low.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Move him to 1b. Then we go get a 3b, if you are worried about his defense.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Here’s what the league leaders in OBP% have done in the 2000s (regular season winning % in parentheses)
2009: Yankees (.636% – won World Series)
2008: Red Sox (.586% – lost in ALCS)
2007: Yankees (.580% – lost in ALDS)
2006: Yankees (.599% – lost in ALDS)
2005: Red Sox (.586% – lost in ALDS)
2004: Red Sox (.605% – won World Series)
2003: Red Sox (.586% – lost in ALCS)
2002: Yankees (.640% – lost in ALDS)
2001: Mariners (.716% – lost in ALCS)
2000: Indians (.556% – no playoffs)
So 9 of 10 teams made the playoffs and the one that didn’t (2000 Indians) won 90 games.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMIGOD! 80 percent of those teams also played on east coast! So the Cubs should move to the east coast! 100 percent of those teams also played in the American League! So the Cubs should move to the American League!

Any list which consists almost entirely of the Red Sox and the Yankees has almost no bearing on the rest of the major leagues.

I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
BT, you crack my shit up.
Aramis has 9 HR in the last 12 games.
BT, I like your idea of moving Aramis to 1B. He has the bat for it, and we could put a defensive stopper at third.

And Willis, although I'm hugely fond of Ramirez, Santo was the best 3rd baseman this franchise has ever produced. Imagine a guy with Aramis's bat, but also with a much higher OBP and a much better glove.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
WAR (Wins Over Replacement) seems to be shiny new stat that everyone is using these days.
It's popular because it's the only one (that I know of) that fully incorporates fielding, baserunning, park effects, league effects, and weighted hitting.

I'm pretty sure that Santo is squarely in HOF territory in this stat (and in most others).
e