Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hendry to be back for 2011
<!--quoteo(post=106985:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:38 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106789:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:13 AM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 21 2010, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I am big believer in the Scarey-defense that<b> Hendry has never really had a an entirely fair opportunity</b>, between the stingy Trib, then the push by the Trib before selling, and then pretty much not having an owner for two years. Assuming this all really does mean he's back, we'll see if can actually do the job with a stable organization.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like Giff. I like Scarey. And I like Sipes.
Please forgive this outburst, guys:
That is stupidest notion anyone has ever concocted on this board, far outdistancing "just put Murton at 2B."
Talk about being a Hendry apologist! Yeah, he's had one of the 5 biggest payrolls in professional sports, and he's had <i>nearly a decade</i> to get the job done...but he hasn't because his hands have been tied.

Bull <b>shit</b>.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, when you hear reports of Crane Kenney calling Soriano's agent and telling him he's giving out a blank check, you tend to think it's a possibility that it's not completely Hendry's. I think it's childish that you won't even consider this a possibility. Now that we really know how we feel about each other's ideas, our next SOITOW meeting should be pretty interesting.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Scarey, our next SOITOW meeting will be relaxed and fun, as usual. I'm not attacking <i>you</i>, for goodness sakes.
I really like you. I just think that Hendry has had ample opportunity to prove himself. A guy who inherits the Pirates, and is given a $35M payroll, and gets 3 years to turn it around...yeah, he's not been given a full opportunity.
Jim has had EVERY advantage.

This is a message board. My personal feelings will stay the same.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I'm going to have to wear a reinforced boot so I don't break my foot on all the groins I have to kick at the next get together.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=106997:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:58 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Scarey, our next SOITOW meeting will be relaxed and fun, as usual. I'm not attacking <i>you</i>, for goodness sakes.
I really like you. I just think that Hendry has had ample opportunity to prove himself. A guy who inherits the Pirates, and is given a $35M payroll, and gets 3 years to turn it around...yeah, he's not been given a full opportunity.

This is a message board. My personal feelings will stay the same.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Calling the idea stupid when it's perfectly logical isn't exactly fair. Calling it stupid when somebody knows so without reasonable doubt is fair.

Nobody here is saying he should stay because he didn't get a fair shake. NOBODY. I just tend to think Hendry was pressured to "win now" when he signed all those big contracts. That doesn't mean he deserves to be the GM next year in my eyes.
<!--quoteo(post=107000:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106997:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:58 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

This is a message board. My personal feelings will stay the same.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Calling the idea stupid when it's perfectly logical isn't exactly fair. Calling it stupid when somebody knows so without reasonable doubt is fair.

Nobody here is saying he should stay because he didn't get a fair shake. NOBODY. I just tend to think Hendry was pressured to "win now" when he signed all those big contracts. That doesn't mean he deserves to be the GM next year in my eyes.
Scarey, I'm sorry. Full apology...I didn't mean to insinuate that you were stupid. At all.
I just thought THE IDEA was less than stellar. I don't think it's "perfectly logical." I think it's a drop in the bucket, an excuse. Nobody can be 100% certain about anything in this universe, but the idea doesn't ring right with my logic.
And, even before I stated my objection to the idea, I pre-apologized. I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I just vehemently disagree with the notion.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=107001:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:09 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=107000:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106997:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:58 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Scarey, I'm sorry. Full apology...I didn't mean to insinuate that you were stupid. At all.
I just thought THE IDEA was less than stellar. I don't think it's "perfectly logical." I think it's a drop in the bucket, an excuse. Nobody can be 100% certain about anything in this universe, but the idea doesn't ring right with my logic.
And, even before I stated my objection to the idea, I pre-apologized. I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I just vehemently disagree with the notion.

You can't be 100% certain about how much responsibility Hendry holds in this either. To say my thought is flawed and yours isn't doesn't right right with my logic either.

And I could run into Bob Howry in a public restroom and say "No offense, but I think you suck." He's still going to take offense.
Most GMs in baseball would be thrilled to have whatever constraints (real or imagined) that Hendry has had as the Cubs' GM.
<!--quoteo(post=106985:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:38 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 21 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106789:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:13 AM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 21 2010, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I am big believer in the Scarey-defense that<b> Hendry has never really had a an entirely fair opportunity</b>, between the stingy Trib, then the push by the Trib before selling, and then pretty much not having an owner for two years. Assuming this all really does mean he's back, we'll see if can actually do the job with a stable organization.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like Giff. I like Scarey. And I like Sipes.
Please forgive this outburst, guys:
That is stupidest notion anyone has ever concocted on this board, far outdistancing "just put Murton at 2B."
Talk about being a Hendry apologist! Yeah, he's had one of the 5 biggest payrolls in professional sports, and he's had <i>nearly a decade</i> to get the job done...but he hasn't because his hands have been tied.

Bull <b>shit</b>.

Since 2006, my defenses of Hendry have been very few and far between. It could be bad luck and bad ownership have sabatoged his results. I think the top 5 payrolls in pro sports is a little unfair. Until '08 the Cubs were not significantly outspending the majority of NL teams. 8 NL teams averaged about 85k or more from '03 - '07, the Cubs averaged 90.
I like you guys a lot.