Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=2500:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Move the order around as you see fit, but that's the most disgusting rotation I've ever seen.

I'm afraid that this news about Vitters will kill the deal, but we'll see...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I seem to remember the same thing being said in 2004 when we had a rotation of

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

Look, I really have no problem with Peavy...however, I think we have bigger needs than getting Peavy. Does getting Peavy and starting him every 5th day really make us that much better than getting Roberts and starting him at 2nd for 150 games? I personally just think our prospects should be used on something that is a necessity (in Lou's eyes) as opposed to a luxury. Honestly, with our rotation, getting Peavy is a luxury. But Lou believes we have to have a left handed bat, so we may need to use the prospects to get one of those. Hell, why not use the prospects to go hard after Roberts and still sign Ibanez? Those that think that would possibly cut into Derosa's playing time, why couldn't get play a different position just about everyday to keep guys fresh?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Keep Dempster, sign Ibanez/Bradley/Abreu/Dunn, trade for Peavy. Offseason done. Brian Roberts is a luxury considering we have 2 2nd baseman and one of them (DeRosa) Roberts would be a marginal upgrade over.

The only reason anybody wants Roberts is because he's left handed. He's not much if at all better then DeRosa.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2506:date=Dec 8 2008, 04:40 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2500:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Move the order around as you see fit, but that's the most disgusting rotation I've ever seen.

I'm afraid that this news about Vitters will kill the deal, but we'll see...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

Look, I really have no problem with Peavy...however, I think we have bigger needs than getting Peavy. Does getting Peavy and starting him every 5th day really make us that much better than getting Roberts and starting him at 2nd for 150 games? I personally just think our prospects should be used on something that is a necessity (in Lou's eyes) as opposed to a luxury. Honestly, with our rotation, getting Peavy is a luxury. But Lou believes we have to have a left handed bat, so we may need to use the prospects to get one of those. Hell, why not use the prospects to go hard after Roberts and still sign Ibanez? Those that think that would possibly cut into Derosa's playing time, why couldn't get play a different position just about everyday to keep guys fresh?

Keep Dempster, sign Ibanez/Bradley/Abreu/Dunn, trade for Peavy. Offseason done. Brian Roberts is a luxury considering we have 2 2nd baseman and one of them (DeRosa) Roberts would be a marginal upgrade over.

The only reason anybody wants Roberts is because he's left handed. He's not much if at all better then DeRosa.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Yeah, nevermind that he can lead off and steal ~30 bases a season.
<!--quoteo(post=2508:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:42 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 8 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2506:date=Dec 8 2008, 04:40 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2500:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Yeah, nevermind that he can lead off and steal ~30 bases a season.

Do you really think it's a good idea to play DeRosa everyday at a different position? Look, I'm not saying Roberts wouldn't be nice to have but he's far from a necessity.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2500:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if we got Peavy, this rotation would be 10x better than 04.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=2513:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:49 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 8 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2500:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if we got Peavy, this rotation would be 10x better than 04.
agreed.

- Butcher
Not to mention, I think our bullpen was more to blame for the 04 collapse than the rotation.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
It really really sounds like Peavy wants to be a Cub. I guess that's probably been obvious but it gives me a lot of hope for this happening.
Towers said between 5-10 teams had the players to get the Peavy deal done, Peavy doesn't want to go anywhere else. He only wants to be a Cub, as we knew.

It will take 3, or maybe even 4 teams to get this deal done Towers told Chuck Garfien.

The Padres want 3 or 4 MLB ready players.

Towers wants this done by the end of the week.

Hendry's thrilled with the amount of money he's been given to work with given our ownership situation.

He went on about how he's trying to get "exciting" players for the 2009 season. He's always been aggressive, and that won't change. He's working very hard to improve the team.
@TheBlogfines
Rosenthal says the Phillies have entered the Peavy sweepstakes.
<!--quoteo(post=2537:date=Dec 8 2008, 07:51 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rosenthal says the Phillies have entered the Peavy sweepstakes.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm. Aren't they, much like us, thin on prospects?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Sullivan blog.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->“I want to know what we have with him by the time we leave the meetings,” Towers said. “By Thursday, either we'll have (a trade), or we'll start thinking about saying that he'll be with us for the start of the '09 season.”

Towers hasn’t had a sitdown with Hendry yet, but said “he knows where to find me.” They are expected to meet Monday night.

Towers said he has the sense that Hendry “doesn’t want to drag this thing out,” though it’s already been dragged out for almost two months.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=2540:date=Dec 8 2008, 06:55 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 8 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2537:date=Dec 8 2008, 07:51 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rosenthal says the Phillies have entered the Peavy sweepstakes.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm. Aren't they, much like us, thin on prospects?

SportsNite reported, according to Rosenthal, they have the pieces to make a deal. I have no idea what their system is like.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->But the Phillies threw their name into the mix later Monday, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported. The Padres like some of the Phillies' young minor-league pitchers, major-league sources told Rosenthal, but the talks are only in the preliminary stages.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@TheBlogfines
I figured this was the case:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The World Series champion Phillies are active on at least two fronts. They have shown interest in Twins' outfielder Delmon Young and also have emerged as a <b>possible third team</b> in the ongoing discussions between the Cubs and Padres regarding right-hander Jake Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rosenthal
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->8:01pm: Scott Miller of CBSSports.com says Jason Marquis and Angel Guzman (among others) could end up with the Padres in the three-team deal. The Padres could get J.A. Happ and/or Chris Coste from the Phils. Miller adds that the Phils are known to have interest in Mark DeRosa.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know how I feel about DeRosa being part of any deal.

- Butcher