Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=2335:date=Dec 8 2008, 02:19 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 8 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2329:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:14 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 8 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2268:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:31 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't sound to me like the Vitters thing is a big hangup.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That could just be Hendry trying a head fake to keep them away from Vitters.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's actually a decent point Rapp.
Yeah. And it might work, too, if we had anyone else in our system worth a damn.
Gotta agree with Cigar and Butch. With that rotation we'd be almost guaranteed of competing for the next 4 years minimum. That would be a powerful position to be in.
From MLB Trade Rumors
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->2:37pm: Joel Sherman learned from Towers that if he doesn't reach an agreement on a Peavy deal with the Cubs at the Meetings, he will keep the pitcher to start the season. The Dodgers are apparently the only other team to which Peavy has approved a trade.

Sherman adds that the Cubs "are willing to let [Peavy] keep his no-trade clause." Not sure if Sherman is trying to say the Cubs would replace Peavy's partial no-trade rights for 2011 and part of 2012 with full no-trade powers.

2:33pm: Kevin Towers told Ken Rosenthal he's talking to only the Cubs about Peavy. He expects to have a good idea on whether to drop it or move forward by the end of the Meetings. Towers approached Ned Colletti but talks didn't get far.

12:22pm: Jerry Crasnick says Kevin Towers and Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod drove together for the 4.5 hour ride from San Diego to Las Vegas, but Axelrod says they only talked about Peavy for about three minutes. <b> Also, Axelrod brought a sweet mix CD</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And MLBTradeRumors.com is much improved over the past couple of years. Also the bolded line above made me laugh.
Not to get too far off topic but Smoltz was mentioned in the Rosenthal article. I wonder what kind of contract he is looking for.
The no-trade clause stuff from the Sherman blog.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The only team that the Padres are engaged with on Peavy is the Cubs, but San Diego is convinced it'll need a third or perhaps fourth team to make a deal. The only other club that Peavy has given his approval for so far is the Dodgers, but Towers said he hasn't spoken to LA since the GM Meetings. Almost everything has been cleared for Chicago to get Peavy because the Cubs are willing to let him keep his no-trade clause - something the Braves had issues with.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
I've been worried about Peavy's splits all along, and I've mainly been worried about him because in the few outings I watched of him last year his stuff didn't seem nearly as good as it used to. Like Giff said, I'll be thrilled to have him, but at the same time it's bumping somebody like Lilly out of the playoff rotation for example, and there's no guarantee this guy does better than Lilly. It'd be a great addition, but it's far from a need. If they can afford to do that and get an Ibanez though, then yeah, sign me up.

Losing Marshall is the only thing that worries me as we need 6 starting pitchers because of Harden, who you know they're not going to throw out there every 5th day, even if he's 100%. Even when Harden pitched, Lou loved bringing in Marshall in the 5th or 6th and have him go a few. Who is going to be that guy now? Gaudin? Maybe, but I think Lou's going to want Gaudin cemented into a 6th/7th inning role. Shark? I doubt he makes a start this year. Guzman? He's always hurt, and is he even worth carrying on the roster with how he's performed?

Pie blows, Cedeno blows, Vitters is a drooler, Hart's got a great arm(was hitting 97 consistently in September) and slider, but like Fella I don't think he should be anywhere near our roster next year.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Padres GM Kevin Towers said he needs to "have a good feel … when [he leaves] these meetings" about whether there's a deal to be made with the Cubs for Jake Peavy or not. He said that deal wouldn't have to be done before the end of the meetings, but at least by "shortly after we leave here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=2435:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Padres GM Kevin Towers said he needs to "have a good feel … when [he leaves] these meetings" about whether there's a deal to be made with the Cubs for Jake Peavy or not. He said that deal wouldn't have to be done before the end of the meetings, but at least by "shortly after we leave here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

get ready HTC your 10,000 Peavy post will be here soon.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->San Diego general manager Kevin Towers said on Monday that he's essentially dealing with just one team for the 2007 National League Cy Young Award Winner and that if a deal can't be struck at the Winter Meetings, he will effectively pull right-hander Jake Peavy off the trading block.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_chc
<!--quoteo(post=2440:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:42 PM:name=wcplummer)-->QUOTE (wcplummer @ Dec 8 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2435:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Padres GM Kevin Towers said he needs to "have a good feel … when [he leaves] these meetings" about whether there's a deal to be made with the Cubs for Jake Peavy or not. He said that deal wouldn't have to be done before the end of the meetings, but at least by "shortly after we leave here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you think I'm shooting for? I'm trying to be bart's equal from the Roberts thread.
<!--quoteo(post=2455:date=Dec 8 2008, 04:12 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2440:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:42 PM:name=wcplummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wcplummer @ Dec 8 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2435:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Padres GM Kevin Towers said he needs to "have a good feel … when [he leaves] these meetings" about whether there's a deal to be made with the Cubs for Jake Peavy or not. He said that deal wouldn't have to be done before the end of the meetings, but at least by "shortly after we leave here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you think I'm shooting for? I'm trying to be bart's equal from the Roberts thread.

You'll never make it.
<!--quoteo(post=2455:date=Dec 8 2008, 04:12 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2440:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:42 PM:name=wcplummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wcplummer @ Dec 8 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2435:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Padres GM Kevin Towers said he needs to "have a good feel … when [he leaves] these meetings" about whether there's a deal to be made with the Cubs for Jake Peavy or not. He said that deal wouldn't have to be done before the end of the meetings, but at least by "shortly after we leave here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't do it. Bart never recovered from it, and neither did we.
Another blog from Miles.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The two GMs have not had formal trade talks yet, but Hendry joked that he'd probably talk with Towers before the winter meetings end on Thursday.

Towers did say his club needed pitching, making one wonder if there was anyone on the Cubs or in their system (such as Mitch Atkins or Donnie Veal) that he's asked about. But he did say more than one club was involved in trying to make this deal work.

While other media outlets have termed the talks "on life support" or "on again" or "off again," Towers termed them "ongoing."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, as far as Marquis.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm hearing from Cubs people that nothing of substance is getting done on moving pitcher Jason Marquis to the Rockies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Move the order around as you see fit, but that's the most disgusting rotation I've ever seen.

I'm afraid that this news about Vitters will kill the deal, but we'll see...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I seem to remember the same thing being said in 2004 when we had a rotation of

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

Look, I really have no problem with Peavy...however, I think we have bigger needs than getting Peavy. Does getting Peavy and starting him every 5th day really make us that much better than getting Roberts and starting him at 2nd for 150 games? I personally just think our prospects should be used on something that is a necessity (in Lou's eyes) as opposed to a luxury. Honestly, with our rotation, getting Peavy is a luxury. But Lou believes we have to have a left handed bat, so we may need to use the prospects to get one of those. Hell, why not use the prospects to go hard after Roberts and still sign Ibanez? Those that think that would possibly cut into Derosa's playing time, why couldn't get play a different position just about everyday to keep guys fresh?
<!--quoteo(post=2500:date=Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 8 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Move the order around as you see fit, but that's the most disgusting rotation I've ever seen.

I'm afraid that this news about Vitters will kill the deal, but we'll see...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I seem to remember the same thing being said in 2004 when we had a rotation of

Wood
Prior
Maddux
Zambrano
Clement

Where did that get us?

Look, I really have no problem with Peavy...however, I think we have bigger needs than getting Peavy. Does getting Peavy and starting him every 5th day really make us that much better than getting Roberts and starting him at 2nd for 150 games? I personally just think our prospects should be used on something that is a necessity (in Lou's eyes) as opposed to a luxury. Honestly, with our rotation, getting Peavy is a luxury. But Lou believes we have to have a left handed bat, so we may need to use the prospects to get one of those. Hell, why not use the prospects to go hard after Roberts and still sign Ibanez? Those that think that would possibly cut into Derosa's playing time, why couldn't get play a different position just about everyday to keep guys fresh?

We're not getting Roberts, regardless and even compared to what we thought that rotation was going to be, this would be better.