Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
Just curious, what does everyone thing about Peavy's splits? There's a fairly large gap between his home/away splits over his career, he hasn't exactly been great at Wrigley either, though it's a small sample size (4 GS), and he's been downright lousy in 2 post season starts.

Peavy Career Splits

Postseason
<!--quoteo(post=2230:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:59 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 8 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just curious, what does everyone thing about Peavy's splits? There's a fairly large gap between his home/away splits over his career, he hasn't exactly been great at Wrigley either, though it's a small sample size (4 GS), and he's been downright lousy in 2 post season starts.

Peavy Career Splits

Postseason<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm extremely worried about them. I am actually cautiously hoping we don't end up getting him. He's not the same pitcher outside of Petco. Even in his CY Young year there was a large difference in home/road splits. Ane he bagan having arm trouble last year as well. I think he's a huge risk. But I believe I'm in the minority here.

My #1 target is the Big Unit. Sign him to a 1 year contract and limit your risk. He's an effective pitcher who has proven to be nails in the post season. Obviously he's a big injury risk, but with a 1 year deal the risk is not all that great. Plus, he won't cost us a shit-ton of prospects.
<!--quoteo(post=2228:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:58 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 8 2008, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2223:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:47 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 8 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2221:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:45 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 8 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2216:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:39 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 8 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2213:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:27 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Dec 8 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Hendry has already told Towers to be cautious about a particular Cubs'prospect because of medical issues that might not otherwise have come to light.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wonder what that's about.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Felix Pie had a sex change operation in the offseason.
So he finally got that penis he's always wanted. Good for him.
This will be the first thing that people who stumble onto here from the net will read. What an introduction.
Basically that exchange is a microcosm of SOI. So I see no problems with it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/emu.gif[/img]
Neither do I, but I sometimes forget that the public can read all of this. I hope it doesn't change a thing.
Most pitchers (hell, most players) have exaggerated home/road splits. I wouldn't read too much into it.

His postseason splits...that's what I'm worried about. He appears to wilt under pressure. Kind of like the guy we just rewarded with a brandy-new 4-year contract.
Peavy's splits are odd because he's been good and not so good about equally.

Peavy's road ERAs since 2003.

2003 - 4.59 ERA
2004 - 2.33 ERA
2005 - 2.98 ERA
2006 - 4.57 ERA
2007 - 2.57 ERA
2008 - 4.28 ERA
<!--quoteo(post=2247:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:12 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Peavy's splits are odd because he's been good and not so good about equally.

Peavy's road ERAs since 2003.

2003 - 4.59 ERA
2004 - 2.33 ERA
2005 - 2.98 ERA
2006 - 4.57 ERA
2007 - 2.57 ERA
2008 - 4.28 ERA<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's not a big deal, and most pitchers will be all over the place from year to year. A crap pitcher will not get the sort of results he got in 2004-05 and 2007. It's a risk I'm more than willing to take.
I still want him on this team regardless of splits. Also, his worst month of his career has been July so I wonder how bad he was lit up in July on the road (if he had many road starts that month) the years he wasn't so good on the road.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Whispers out west indicate the Padres might be concerned about the hand/wrist of top Cubs prospect Josh Vitters, a third baseman. The hand has bothered him off and on. In other words, the Cubs may have to offer more in the way of prospects or get that third team involved in any deal for Peavy. Cubs GM Jim Hendry is pretty good at getting his guy once he focuses on him. I wouldn't bet (bad choice of words here in Vegas) against him, but it may take awhile.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From Miles new blog. Also says this.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs did not talk with the Padres Sunday about Jake Peavy. That should change today. The Cubs are very much alive for Peavy, as my Daily Herald colleague Barry Rozner pointed out 10 days or so ago, even as Lou was saying a deal was not going to happen. (Lou says a lot of stuff.)

First things first, though. The Cubs still need to get a left-handed bat, and they still need to clear payroll. That means moving pitcher Jason Marquis and most of his $9.875 million salary for 2009. With Marquis being a good fifth or even fourth starter, the Cubs ought to be able to find a taker.

As I blogged last week, the Cubs best bet for a bat, financially speaking, would be the mercurial Milton Bradley, who rejected the Rangers' offer of arbitration. He'd come a lot cheaper than Raul Ibanez or Bobby Abreu. But the market is slow, and it's possible the price could come down on either Ibanez or Abreu.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I just can not understand how there are some Cubs fans that are not excited about this possible move. He is only 27 years old and is signed for a pretty nice contract for 4 more years. They guy just won the Cy Young award last season. He is a better pitcher than anyone we currently have. You could make an argument for Harden but if I had to choose between the two I would still take Peavy. The guy is a stud.
<!--quoteo(post=2261:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:25 PM:name=cigar)-->QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 8 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just can not understand how there are some Cubs fans that are not excited about this possible move. He is only 27 years old and is signed for a pretty nice contract for 4 more years. They guy just won the Cy Young award last season. He is a better pitcher than anyone we currently have. You could make an argument for Harden but if I had to choose between the two I would still take Peavy. The guy is a stud.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Move the order around as you see fit, but that's the most disgusting rotation I've ever seen.

I'm afraid that this news about Vitters will kill the deal, but we'll see...
<!--quoteo(post=2263:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:28 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 8 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2261:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:25 PM:name=cigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 8 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just can not understand how there are some Cubs fans that are not excited about this possible move. He is only 27 years old and is signed for a pretty nice contract for 4 more years. They guy just won the Cy Young award last season. He is a better pitcher than anyone we currently have. You could make an argument for Harden but if I had to choose between the two I would still take Peavy. The guy is a stud.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd love to get Peavy.

Peavy
Zambrano
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Move the order around as you see fit, but that's the most disgusting rotation I've ever seen.

I'm afraid that this news about Vitters will kill the deal, but we'll see...

Yeah it is. Plus if one of those guys go down...you still have a disgusting rotation. I want this move to happen so bad.
It doesn't sound to me like the Vitters thing is a big hangup.
Meanwhile, this was from late last night (early today).

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->There's a buzz in the lobby that the Jake Peavy trade will go down tomorrow, at which point we'll find out if the Orioles are involved.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2268:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:31 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't sound to me like the Vitters thing is a big hangup.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That could just be Hendry trying a head fake to keep them away from Vitters.
<!--quoteo(post=2329:date=Dec 8 2008, 03:14 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 8 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2268:date=Dec 8 2008, 12:31 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't sound to me like the Vitters thing is a big hangup.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That could just be Hendry trying a head fake to keep them away from Vitters.

That's actually a decent point Rapp.