Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
Slow news day... Grasping at straws really

Baltimore Sun

Quote:The Orioles have revisited trade talks with the Cubs about outfielder Felix Pie, according to industry sources, and could end up as the third team in a three-way deal that would send marquee right-hander Jake Peavy from the San Diego Padres to Chicago.

Pie, once considered one of the best young prospects in the game, was an Orioles target at this time last year when the two teams discussed a trade involving two-time All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts.

Orioles president Andy MacPhail said yesterday that a deal is not imminent but acknowledged that Pie is the kind of player the Orioles are pursuing to broaden the club's position depth.

"We have a lot of different irons in the fire," MacPhail said. "We're in the process of determining who our trading partners might be and which free agents we might have a chance to sign. We're basically in the same position as everybody else, waiting for a couple of big dominoes to fall."

The Padres, who are limited in trade talks for Peavy because of the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner's no-trade clause, covet Garrett Olson, a Southern California native. This offseason, the Padres asked for Olson in exchange for veteran shortstop Khalil Greene, but the Orioles rejected the offer. Olson, 25, is 10-13 with a 6.87ERA in 33 starts over two majorleague seasons.

The Padres and Cubs have been looking for a third team to get involved in the Peavy trade talks because Chicago reportedly doesn't have all the young, majorleague-ready pieces San Diego is seeking."
Baltimore Sun

Quote:"The possible acquisition of multi-tool outfielder Felix Pie is intriguing, to say the least. If the Orioles end up being the third team in a proposed three-team deal to send marquee starting pitcher Jake Peavy from the Padres to the Cubs, they'll be in a position to field one of the youngest -- and most versatile -- starting outfields in the game.

Pie (right) has not developed quite the way the Cubs had hoped when they signed him as a teenage free agent out of the Dominican in 2001, but a lot of people still think he has the potential to be a very productive major league player. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the O's threw him out there in left field regularly the way they did with Adam Jones in center.

Of course, Luke Scott might have something to say about that, but he still would fit as the primary DH, with Aubrey Huff getting most of the playing time at first base.

The deal probably would not affect the Orioles' pursuit of free agent slugger Mark Teixeira. If they were to succeed in signing him, Huff would be the DH and Scott would likely share time with Pie, though both are left-handed hitters."
Quote:Slow news day... Grasping at straws really

Baltimore Sun

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >The Orioles have revisited trade talks with the Cubs about outfielder Felix Pie, according to industry sources, and could end up as the third team in a three-way deal that would send marquee right-hander Jake Peavy from the San Diego Padres to Chicago.

Pie, once considered one of the best young prospects in the game, was an Orioles target at this time last year when the two teams discussed a trade involving two-time All-Star second baseman Brian Roberts.

Orioles president Andy MacPhail said yesterday that a deal is not imminent but acknowledged that Pie is the kind of player the Orioles are pursuing to broaden the club's position depth.

I'm not really sure why the Orioles need Pie, but I'd be glad to give him up for Pie.

"We have a lot of different irons in the fire," MacPhail said. "We're in the process of determining who our trading partners might be and which free agents we might have a chance to sign. We're basically in the same position as everybody else, waiting for a couple of big dominoes to fall."

The Padres, who are limited in trade talks for Peavy because of the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner's no-trade clause, covet Garrett Olson, a Southern California native. This offseason, the Padres asked for Olson in exchange for veteran shortstop Khalil Greene, but the Orioles rejected the offer. Olson, 25, is 10-13 with a 6.87ERA in 33 starts over two majorleague seasons.

The Padres and Cubs have been looking for a third team to get involved in the Peavy trade talks because Chicago reportedly doesn't have all the young, majorleague-ready pieces San Diego is seeking."
Baltimore Sun

Quote:"The possible acquisition of multi-tool outfielder Felix Pie is intriguing, to say the least. If the Orioles end up being the third team in a proposed three-team deal to send marquee starting pitcher Jake Peavy from the Padres to the Cubs, they'll be in a position to field one of the youngest -- and most versatile -- starting outfields in the game.

Pie (right) has not developed quite the way the Cubs had hoped when they signed him as a teenage free agent out of the Dominican in 2001, but a lot of people still think he has the potential to be a very productive major league player. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the O's threw him out there in left field regularly the way they did with Adam Jones in center.

Of course, Luke Scott might have something to say about that, but he still would fit as the primary DH, with Aubrey Huff getting most of the playing time at first base.

The deal probably would not affect the Orioles' pursuit of free agent slugger Mark Teixeira. If they were to succeed in signing him, Huff would be the DH and Scott would likely share time with Pie, though both are left-handed hitters."
</blockquote>
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
Did you just quote Auz's post without adding anything?
<!--quoteo(post=236:date=Dec 1 2008, 08:11 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 1 2008, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Did you just quote Auz's post without adding anything?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I got nothin'.

Andy
I hate this place.
Pie has less than zero value as a leftfielder.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=250:date=Dec 1 2008, 08:45 AM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 1 2008, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Pie has less than zero value as a leftfielder.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img]
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
Orioles fans are going to be mad if Pie keeps them from getting Teixeira.
If the O's get Tex and do nothing else to improve their team, then their fans deserve everything that's coming to them.
<!--quoteo(post=338:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:57 AM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 1 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Orioles fans are going to be mad if Pie keeps them from getting Teixeira.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why would it?
I can think of two reasons off the top of my head that Tex wont sign with the Orioles.
1. Money.
2.He'd like to play on a team that has a chance to win in the next 5-6 years.

Good run down of the latest from everyone's favorite site, mlbtraderumors (edited to add link)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/cu...-in-o.html

Cubs Still In On Peavy

By Tim Dierkes [December 1 at 10:35am CST]

Murray Chass snagged a good quote from Padres GM Kevin Towers regarding the Jake Peavy trade talks:

"I would say the Cubs are still in it. Lou said they’re not in it, but their general manager says they’re in it. The Dodgers have bigger fish to fry. That’s not to say they might not circle back later in the winter. Our primary goal is to trade Peavy."

One Cubs source spoke of a "two-year window to win," according to Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune. Chass quotes Towers as seeking established players back for Peavy, which is why the Cubs would need to get a third team involved. Van Dyck says the Cubs hope to hang on to Mike Fontenot and Sean Marshall.
I have now slept a record setting 21 hours.
<!--quoteo(post=443:date=Dec 1 2008, 04:06 PM:name=FrischsBigBoy)-->QUOTE (FrischsBigBoy @ Dec 1 2008, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have now slept a record setting 21 hours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
BIGGIE SMALLS IS THA ILLEST!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/respek.gif[/img]