Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=4721:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:52 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 14 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4716:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:48 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4713:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, how long before the Taveras to the Cubs rumors start? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't want to be the one to say it, for fear of jinxing us. If Dusty were still the manager, you better believe Tavares would have been here a month ago on a 3/30 deal.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Kind of hard to be here a month ago when he just became a free agent a couple days ago. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I was going to say a couple years ago, but I decided to be more subtle with the joke. Shame on me, I suppose.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=4727:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:02 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4721:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:52 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 14 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4716:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:48 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4713:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, how long before the Taveras to the Cubs rumors start? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't want to be the one to say it, for fear of jinxing us. If Dusty were still the manager, you better believe Tavares would have been here a month ago on a 3/30 deal.
Kind of hard to be here a month ago when he just became a free agent a couple days ago. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I was going to say a couple years ago, but I decided to be more subtle with the joke. Shame on me, I suppose.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
I wish something would happen already. This has been a boring-ass offseason so far.
Just read the thread on NSBB. Looks like Scarey and Clapp irritated everyone there.[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=4879:date=Dec 15 2008, 05:03 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 15 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just read the thread on NSBB. Looks like Scarey and Clapp irritated everyone there.[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not even going to go back and read through it. I know all of their opinions and they're not going to change mine, just wanted to get my 2 cents in there and back up Scarey because he was right yet all the ubernerds were shitting on his posts. They don't watch baseball over there.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=4813:date=Dec 15 2008, 09:40 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 15 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wish something would happen already. This has been a boring-ass offseason so far.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No kidding, Hendry better hurry up before all the big guys are gone.
<!--quoteo(post=4940:date=Dec 15 2008, 06:57 PM:name=AlexV)-->QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 15 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4813:date=Dec 15 2008, 09:40 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 15 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wish something would happen already. This has been a boring-ass offseason so far.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Hendry knows what he's doing. When guys like Bobby Abreu are asking for 16 million a year, you shouldn't be rushing to sign them.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=4941:date=Dec 15 2008, 08:00 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 15 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4940:date=Dec 15 2008, 06:57 PM:name=AlexV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 15 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4813:date=Dec 15 2008, 09:40 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 15 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wish something would happen already. This has been a boring-ass offseason so far.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Hendry knows what he's doing. When guys like Bobby Abreu are asking for 16 million a year, you shouldn't be rushing to sign them.

The only way I'd pay Abreu $16M per season is if he guaranteed me a weekly blow job and then snowballed Tom.
Did anyone else know that Reed Johnson is 32 years old. I thought he was at least 5 years younger than that.
<!--quoteo(post=6471:date=Dec 22 2008, 08:38 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 22 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Did anyone else know that Reed Johnson is 32 years old. I thought he was at least 5 years younger than that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He must've come up very late.
Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about our CF situation. As of now, it looks like we're settling for a Reed Johnson/Fuk platoon. Reed is a competent fielder, and Fuk is a good <i>Right</i> fielder, but neither of them are gonna be kicking ass with the glove in CF.

As for hitting, if Reed regresses even slightly (and age 32 is a typical age for just that), and Fuk continues to hit like a pitcher, we're going to have a fucking <b>black hole</b> in the lineup.

Is Edmonds coming back? Where?
Honestly, if it were up to me, this would be the season I finally give Pie 500 at bats, and see if he can figure it out. At least with him you have these automatics: excellent fielding, great speed.
Pie also has a MUCH higher ceiling than either Reed or Fuk. (or the abominable Gathright).

PIE FOR CF !!
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=6476:date=Dec 22 2008, 08:57 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 22 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about our CF situation. As of now, it looks like we're settling for a Reed Johnson/Fuk platoon. Reed is a competent fielder, and Fuk is a good <i>Right</i> fielder, but neither of them are gonna be kicking ass with the glove in CF.

As for hitting, if Reed regresses even slightly (and age 32 is a typical age for just that), and Fuk continues to hit like a pitcher, we're going to have a fucking black hole in the lineup.

Honestly, if it were up to me, this would be the season I finally give Pie 500 at bats, and see if he can figure it out. At least with him you have automatic: excellent fielding, great speed.
You also have a MUCH higher ceiling than either Reed or Fuk. (or the abominable Gathright).

PIE FOR CF !!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Reed's a give 110% player that understands what he is. I expect him to be the same type of player for a couple more years at least. It's not like he's ever had blazing speed or great power.

And giving Pie 500 at bats is an awful idea. We're trying to win.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=6477:date=Dec 22 2008, 07:59 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6476:date=Dec 22 2008, 08:57 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 22 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about our CF situation. As of now, it looks like we're settling for a Reed Johnson/Fuk platoon. Reed is a competent fielder, and Fuk is a good <i>Right</i> fielder, but neither of them are gonna be kicking ass with the glove in CF.

As for hitting, if Reed regresses even slightly (and age 32 is a typical age for just that), and Fuk continues to hit like a pitcher, we're going to have a fucking black hole in the lineup.

Honestly, if it were up to me, this would be the season I finally give Pie 500 at bats, and see if he can figure it out. At least with him you have automatic: excellent fielding, great speed.
You also have a MUCH higher ceiling than either Reed or Fuk. (or the abominable Gathright).

And giving Pie 500 at bats is an awful idea.
Worse than giving Fuk 400?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=6478:date=Dec 22 2008, 09:00 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 22 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6477:date=Dec 22 2008, 07:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 22 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6476:date=Dec 22 2008, 08:57 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 22 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about our CF situation. As of now, it looks like we're settling for a Reed Johnson/Fuk platoon. Reed is a competent fielder, and Fuk is a good <i>Right</i> fielder, but neither of them are gonna be kicking ass with the glove in CF.

Reed's a give 110% player that understands what he is. I expect him to be the same type of player for a couple more years at least. It's not like he's ever had blazing speed or great power.

And giving Pie 500 at bats is an awful idea. We're trying to win.
Worse than giving Fuk 400?
Much worse. And you can't just give up on Fuk after giving him that contract. Pie is what he is and there's a reason teams aren't in a rush to acquire him anymore.
@TheBlogfines
I think if we gave Pie about 250-300 at bats against righties, he'd do all right (and provide GG-calibre defense).