Cedeno
Fontenot
Hoffpauir

Outfielders
Fukudome
Pie
Soriano
Johnson

So... where do we go from here? It's obvious that the weakest part of our team in the OF.

From Cubs.com

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs were expected to offer free agent Kerry Wood arbitration on Monday, but they may not do so for their other free agents such as Jim Edmonds, Daryle Ward and Bob Howry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Monday also is the deadline for teams to decide whether to offer arbitration to players with three to six years of big league service time. That group of Cubs includes shortstop Ronny Cedeno, outfielder Reed Johnson, and pitchers Neal Cotts, Chad Gaudin, Kevin Gregg and Michael Wuertz.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Players have until Dec. 7 to accept or reject arbitration.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs were expected to part ways with Howry, 35, who struggled much of the season, the final year of a three-year contract. The right-hander posted a 7-5 record with a 5.35 ERA, which included a 6.93 ERA in the second half. If they did offer arbitration to Howry just to get compensation, there's a chance he would accept, and the Cubs would then be committed to keeping the reliever and paying him more than the $4.5 million he earned in 2008.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Edmonds, 38, is also not expected back after hitting 19 homers and batting .256 in 85 games with the Cubs in '08. The veteran outfielder was uncertain whether he will retire.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link to the full article
Angel Guzman and Rich Hill are both out of options, so something wil have to be done with them.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
Didn't notice this story yesterday. Van Dick article Mentions that a 3-way deal isn't close to happening with the O's, but who can really be sure?
<!--quoteo(post=253:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:51 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 1 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Didn't notice this story yesterday. Van Dick article Mentions that a 3-way deal isn't close to happening with the O's, but who can really be sure?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is from Rok's linked article. Some interesting info:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Sean Marshall and Mike Fontenot are not available. At least not right now.

Team sources insist the left-handed pitcher and lefty-hitting second baseman are too valuable to the Cubs in their current roles and that Fontenot "could get some time at shortstop."

"Marshall would be tough to give up," a source said, "because he is a lefty in the bullpen and also gives us protection [in the rotation] for [injury-prone] Harden."

Rumored talks with Kansas City involving Marshall for outfielder Mark Teahen are indeed just rumors at this point.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think Guzman makes the team, Hill is traded or cut.

I said it on the old board, but I'll say it again, neither Marshall nor Fontenot are more valuable than Peavy and to suggest that either are untradeable is a joke. Fontenot is a good lefty bat of the bench, he won't start. Marshall is a swing man, but there are plenty of options for that role (Guzman, Gaudin, etc).

I honestly give Peavy about a 60/40 chance of coming here at this point. I think the RF'er comes from a trade, not FA.

It'll look something like this

Starting Pitchers
Zambrano
Peavy
Dempster
Harden
Lilly

Relief Pitchers
Marmol
Gregg
Samardzija
Wuertz
Cotts
Gaudin
Guzman
Pignatello

Catchers
Soto
Blanco

Infielders
Ramirez
DeRosa
Lee
Theriot
Fontenot
Hoffpauir

Outfielders
Fukudome
Soriano
Johnson
DeJesus (or similar)
Things that I think are worth mentioning.

They were stretching Guzman out in winter ball. I still think he is to talented to not use as a starter just because the Cubs tried to avoid the TJS for three years when it was apparent that he needed it.

This is the first year that Pie has ever hit in winter ball. He is having a really good season so far.

It would be in Rich Hill's best interest to just have him put down Old Yeller style.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->This is the first year that Pie has ever hit in winter ball. He is having a really good season so far.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With the possible exception of the fact that he has only taken 1 walk in 41 at bats, he's doing awesome.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=288:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:29 AM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 1 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They were stretching Guzman out in winter ball. I still think he is to talented to not use as a starter just because the Cubs tried to avoid the TJS for three years when it was apparent that he needed it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Guzman looked good when he came back last year and by all accounts was lights out in winter ball. I think he'll definitely will make the team and could be a valuable late inning or swing guy. The fact that he's gone through tommy john might actually help his arm for a while.
I've watched Pie several times on ESPN Deportes during the season the past month or so, and he's looked ok, but he is Mr free swinger as always. IMO, he's made no progress in pitch selectivity. Trade him, and trade him now.
<!--quoteo(post=321:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:18 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 1 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've watched Pie several times on ESPN Deportes during the season the past month or so, and he's looked ok, but he is Mr free swinger as always. IMO, he's made no progress in pitch selectivity. Trade him, and trade him now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I coach-cur. He's not going to get any better. So when he's hot, he'll be fine, but when he slumps, he won't have a few walks to fall back on. He's a 7-8 hitter in the lineup. See ya later. Let someone else drool over his "potential".
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=294:date=Dec 1 2008, 10:47 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 1 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=288:date=Dec 1 2008, 09:29 AM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 1 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They were stretching Guzman out in winter ball. I still think he is to talented to not use as a starter just because the Cubs tried to avoid the TJS for three years when it was apparent that he needed it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Guzman looked good when he came back last year and by all accounts was lights out in winter ball. I think he'll definitely will make the team and could be a valuable late inning or swing guy. The fact that he's gone through tommy john might actually help his arm for a while.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Guzman could be a valuable long reliever. He doesn't have the durability to be a starter so early relief role might be a nice place to put him.
Wittenmeyer says the Cubs won't offer Wood arbitration if they believe he'll accept.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Will the Cubs crack the door ajar for Kerry Wood to return for another season? Not if they believe he'll actually push it open by accepting an arbitration offer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Rest of the Story
I still don't get it. He's been the face of the Cubs for a number of years. Now they're going to just drop him like dead weight? It doesn't make sense.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=345:date=Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 1 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't get it. He's been the face of the Cubs for a number of years. Now they're going to just drop him like dead weight? It doesn't make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I fail to believe that not a single team would offer him a 2 year contract. There is always a team out there desperate for pitching, even in bad economic times. Why would he accept arbitration after we already said he didn't fit into our plans?