Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=4397:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->How did I spell Gaudin's name wrong and not one person called me out on it?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because you're the Hollow Man.
<!--quoteo(post=4399:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:09 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 12 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4397:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->How did I spell Gaudin's name wrong and not one person called me out on it?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because you're the Hollow Man.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for reminding me! I'd say I'm going to go play in traffic now, but I doubt I could get a car to hit me.
All I have to say about all of this is simply... I'm am 100% against giving up DeRosa. He needs to be on this team. You simply cannot replace a guy who can pretty much play anywhere and hit and produce. I'd love Peavy, but we have a fine pitching staff. Harden worries me as far as injuries go, but you can't predict the future by looking at the past. Bottom line... DeRo needs to be a Cub next year.
[Image: HappyKitty.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=4397:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->How did I spell Gaudin's name wrong and not one person called me out on it?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it's about as much as use as trying to talk Karl Marx out of Communism.
Gaudin clearly gave Sullivan an atomic wedgie as well, making him one of my favorite players.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Gaudin was 5-3 with a 3.59 earned-run average in 26 outings for Oakland and 4-2 with a 6.26 ERA in 24 appearances for the Cubs after he was acquired from the A's on July 8 along with Rich Harden. He was left off the postseason roster after injuring his back in a mysterious fall, missing most of the final six weeks of the regular season.

<b>Although Gaudin was ineffective upon his return, blowing a chance to play in the NL Division Series against Los Angeles</b>, the Cubs believe he can contribute in middle relief if healthy. If not, there are other right-handed options for that role, including Angel Guzman and Kevin Hart.

The Cubs could have non-tendered Gaudin, who made $1.775 million in 2008, and allowed him to become a free agent. They didn't want to risk going to arbitration, where he might have received a significant salary increase.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The pursuit of Bradley remains the Cubs' priority, and indications are Chicago is his preferred choice.

With Raul Ibanez signing a three-year, $31 million deal with Philadelphia, Bradley and Bobby Abreu are the two remaining free agents on the Cubs' list.

Ibanez was always the third option because of his age (36) and that he's not a right-fielder. Abreu, who has had 100 or more RBIs in each of the last six years, is expected to get the bigger contract, while the Cubs value Bradley more because he's a switch-hitter with some speed who can play all three outfield positions.

Tampa Bay is considered the Cubs' biggest obstacle, although neither team reportedly has made an offer. If it comes to a bidding war, the Cubs should be able to offer more than the Rays.

Hendry also has discussed trading for an outfielder if he can't sign Bradley or Abreu, but with Peavy and his heavyweight contract off the table, he shouldn't have any problems fitting one of the two into his 2009 budget of around $140 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->But Bradley has been the Cubs' top target since at least the early part of the winter meetings. And by the time the team left the meetings in Las Vegas on Thursday night, they knew Ibanez was headed elsewhere, making Bradley a singular priority.

Leaving the Bellagio Hotel on Thursday afternoon, one Cubs official said Bradley was the team's next focus, and one of Bradley's representatives said Friday morning that the Cubs were at the top of Bradley's list.

As for how many years and what kind of contract it would take, Bradley's rep said it was too early to say. But the Ibanez signing, even more than the deal that top-of-the-market hitter Mark Teixeira lands, figures to influence at least the pace of the Cubs-Bradley talks.

The Cubs weren't believed to have made a formal offer to Bradley as the meetings concluded Thursday, and general manager Jim Hendry spent Friday taking care of business involving arbitration-eligible players at the contract-tender deadline.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Bradley's choice ... or is it?

The Cubs and Rays are the teams in strongest pursuit of free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley, who also is drawing interest from the Reds, Angels and the Nationals, a team that never met an outfielder it didn't like.

For Bradley, the choice appears simple. The Rays' Joe Maddon almost certainly would be a better manager for him than the Cubs' impatient Lou Piniella, and staying in the American League would allow him to protect his oft-injured body by serving as a DH.

With the Rays, Bradley could bat cleanup between Carlos Pena and Evan Longoria, offer above-average defense in right field and fit well on a young, high-energy team.

The question is whether the Rays will meet Bradley's price.

The glut of outfielders and DHs on the trade and free-agent markets will allow the Rays to be choosy. If Bradley proves too expensive, they can simply turn to another free agent from a group that includes Abreu, Jason Giambi, Garrett Anderson and Pat Burrell.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
Too bad Garrett Anderson fell off a cliff, or he would have been a nice option for us.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
As you pointed out, however, he fell off a cliff. He's better than Teahan (who isn't?), but we can do a lot better.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=4677:date=Dec 14 2008, 03:30 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 14 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Too bad Garrett Anderson fell off a cliff, or he would have been a nice option for us.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He was never an RF. He played CF for a couple of years, but he's always been a LF at the Major League level.
<!--quoteo(post=4683:date=Dec 14 2008, 04:46 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 14 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4677:date=Dec 14 2008, 03:30 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 14 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Too bad Garrett Anderson fell off a cliff, or he would have been a nice option for us.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He was never an RF. He played CF for a couple of years, but he's always been a LF at the Major League level.

That was part of the falling off a cliff. Pre-cliff fall, he was plenty athletic enough to play RF.
He's still a very good hitter, but he's an American League player at this age.
@TheBlogfines
So, how long before the Taveras to the Cubs rumors start? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=4713:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, how long before the Taveras to the Cubs rumors start? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't want to be the one to say it, for fear of jinxing us. If Dusty were still the manager, you better believe Tavares would have been here a month ago on a 3/30 deal.
<!--quoteo(post=4716:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:48 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4713:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 14 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, how long before the Taveras to the Cubs rumors start? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't want to be the one to say it, for fear of jinxing us. If Dusty were still the manager, you better believe Tavares would have been here a month ago on a 3/30 deal.
Kind of hard to be here a month ago when he just became a free agent a couple days ago. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines