Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=4140:date=Dec 11 2008, 11:45 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4134:date=Dec 12 2008, 12:26 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 12 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again not sure if this was posted, but Garfien said we spoke with Abreu's agent. Hendry also said we've had some internal discussions about Randy Johnson.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm a big Randy Johnson fan, and his body of work makes him an absolute 1st-ballot HOFer.
But at his age, I question whether we couldn't get the exact same production out of Marshall, and spend the saved 8-10 $million on other holes.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly. Marshall, Shark, Hart, Guzman, etc can do the same thing as the unit.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
You crazy Kids. I would love Randy Johnson. He would be amazing here. But...that is salary aside. But...I can't control the skrills so I'll just keep Randy Johnson as a dream. He would be waaaay better than Marshall.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
randy johnson is probably going to retire after this year or the next. he will be motivated to win one more time before he's done. there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he has something left in the tank. a one year deal for $10 mil? done and done.

to say that marshall or samardjzia or whomever can do the same thing as johnson is ludicrous. they can't now and they never will.

one year of the unit? yes please.
Wang.
I have no problem with one year of Johnson. My bigger problem is that in not getting Peavy, you are putting yourself in a rough situation next year when Harden and either Marquis or Johnson are gone. Having Peavy locked up would have guaranteed 3 all star caliber pitchers in your rotation for the foreseeable future. Not so much now.
Last year, in 30 games started, RJ had 184 IP, 173 K, 44 BB, 3.91 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. ERA+ was 117. His post all-star numbers were 86 IP, 78K, 2.41 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, .232 BAA. He also threw 2 complete games, which was more than any other Cubs starter.

His career post season record is 7-9, in 121 IP, 132 K, 32 BB, 3.50 ERA.

For a 1 year deal, I see no down side in signing him. After this year we'll have a new owner and should be able to sign a FA to replace him.
<!--quoteo(post=4180:date=Dec 12 2008, 08:05 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 12 2008, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have no problem with one year of Johnson. My bigger problem is that in not getting Peavy, you are putting yourself in a rough situation next year when Harden and either Marquis or Johnson are gone. Having Peavy locked up would have guaranteed 3 all star caliber pitchers in your rotation for the foreseeable future. Not so much now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that's not a "problem", that's a luxury. Of course having Peavy would make things easier, but how many teams can complain they have "only" 2 all star caliber pitchers in their rotation? I might also add that Ted Lilly was an all star, and has won at least 15 games the last three years, so I think you could classify him as an all star. And we have him through 2010.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=4192:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:05 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 12 2008, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4180:date=Dec 12 2008, 08:05 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 12 2008, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have no problem with one year of Johnson. My bigger problem is that in not getting Peavy, you are putting yourself in a rough situation next year when Harden and either Marquis or Johnson are gone. Having Peavy locked up would have guaranteed 3 all star caliber pitchers in your rotation for the foreseeable future. Not so much now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that's not a "problem", that's a luxury. Of course having Peavy would make things easier, but how many teams can complain they have "only" 2 all star caliber pitchers in their rotation? I might also add that Ted Lilly was an all star, and has won at least 15 games the last three years, so I think you could classify him as an all star. And we have him through 2010.

It's a problem because they'll need to replace them with pitchers as good or better, or the team is worse
<!--quoteo(post=4193:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:10 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 12 2008, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4192:date=Dec 12 2008, 09:05 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 12 2008, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4180:date=Dec 12 2008, 08:05 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 12 2008, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have no problem with one year of Johnson. My bigger problem is that in not getting Peavy, you are putting yourself in a rough situation next year when Harden and either Marquis or Johnson are gone. Having Peavy locked up would have guaranteed 3 all star caliber pitchers in your rotation for the foreseeable future. Not so much now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a problem because they'll need to replace them with pitchers as good or better, or the team is worse

Not necessarily. We are going to lose Wood. If we don't replace him, but sign a solid power hitting left fielder, we could be better.

Besides, that's a logical fallacy. If we eventually did trade for Peavy, that would mean we would have to have 5 all-star/cy young candidates in our rotation in perpetuity, or we would get worse.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
We signed Gaudin and tendered contracts to Cedeno, Johnson, Cotts, Wuertz and Gregg.
<!--quoteo(post=4309:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We signed Gauden and tendered contracts to Cedeno, Johnson, Cotts, Wuertz and Gregg.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So we non-tendered no one, correct?
<!--quoteo(post=4309:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We signed Gauden and tendered contracts to Cedeno, Johnson, Cotts, Wuertz and Gregg.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow. Paul Sullivan was wrong? No way!
[Image: lou.jpg]
IIRC, Marshall's ERA+ as a starter is basically the same as Johnson's the last few years. The only difference is Johnson can go deeper into games, but is a much larger injury risk.

Oh, and would cost 10,000% more.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=4313:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:12 PM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 12 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4309:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We signed Gauden and tendered contracts to Cedeno, Johnson, Cotts, Wuertz and Gregg.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe he has a problem with Chad just as he does with Z and the other 23 men on the roster.
<!--quoteo(post=4326:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:43 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 12 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4313:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:12 PM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 12 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4309:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We signed Gauden and tendered contracts to Cedeno, Johnson, Cotts, Wuertz and Gregg.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe he has a problem with Chad just as he does with Z and the other 23 men on the roster.
And he's a class act, super guy. I can't see why anybody would dislike him. Honestly, I get sick every time he's on Tribune Live and they treat him like a normal human being. What a fucking waste of life and the worst journalist in the history of life. I hope Z keeps shitting on his face.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=4332:date=Dec 12 2008, 06:11 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 12 2008, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4326:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:43 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 12 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4313:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:12 PM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 12 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=4309:date=Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 12 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We signed Gauden and tendered contracts to Cedeno, Johnson, Cotts, Wuertz and Gregg.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And he's a class act, super guy. I can't see why anybody would dislike him. Honestly, I get sick every time he's on Tribune Live and they treat him like a normal human being. What a fucking waste of life and the worst journalist in the history of life. I hope Z keeps shitting on his face.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollin.gif[/img]
I was just going to add that he's a sniveling, miserable, little coward, but you said it better than I could.