Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=3640:date=Dec 11 2008, 03:33 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I semi-agree with all of your points. (except the obvious mistake that Lilly was better than Peavy last year).

Still, Cy-caliber aces are a lot harder to come by than journeyman utility guys who the chicks dig. Did you see what the Yanks are paying Sabathia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lilly was better than Peavy. Look at the parks they're pitching at. Could you imagine how good Lilly would be if all those homers he gave up stayed in the park at Petco? That's the advantage Peavy gets.

On the road in 08

Lilly- 10-4, 3.77 ERA, .243 BAA
Peavy- 5-6, 4.28 ERA, .258 BAA

Lilly is not the better pitcher, but he was this year.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3643:date=Dec 11 2008, 02:43 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3640:date=Dec 11 2008, 03:33 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 11 2008, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I semi-agree with all of your points. (except the obvious mistake that Lilly was better than Peavy last year).

Still, Cy-caliber aces are a lot harder to come by than journeyman utility guys who the chicks dig. Did you see what the Yanks are paying Sabathia?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lilly was better than Peavy. Look at the parks they're pitching at. Could you imagine how good Lilly would be if all those homers he gave up stayed in the park at Petco? That's the advantage Peavy gets.

On the road in 08

Lilly- 10-4, 3.77 ERA, .243 BAA
Peavy- 5-6, 4.28 ERA, .258 BAA

Lilly is not the better pitcher, but he was this year.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] What is this, a Kid argument? Hmm, let's switch things around a little, shall we?
At home in 2008:
Peavy 1.74 ERA
T.Lilly 4.50 ERA (!)

Or let's bypass that stuff, and use a statistic that was <i>specifically invented</i> so as to eliminate "park effects:" ERA+

Peavy 134
Lilly 109

Thus, with the ERA+ stat, Peavy is harshly penalized for playing half his games in Petco, yet he still puts up an ERA+ that's Top 10 in the NL (in an off year), and obliterates his competition (in this case Lilly).

Dude, I love Mr. Ted Lilly. I have since the instant that Jim coaxed him into a Cub uni while gasping for life on a hospital gurney.
But I don't think you realize that Jake Peavy is in an entirely different class of pitcher. Like, up there with Brandon Webb, and Johan Santana, and Tim Linceum. You know...the type of guys who bring home the Cy. The type of guys you want on the hill for Game 1 of a series, and definitely Game 7.

Peavy is <i>that</i> guy.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I think one major issue to deal with is the approach of putting together the 2009 team.

Clapp, I think you would like the Cubs to build a ball team that can strictly win in the playoffs in 2009. While I don't blame you given the last two years, I think Hendry is going in a different direction if he acquires Peavy and Bradley instead of Ibanez.

Hendry is looking to build a consistent winner rather then going for it all this next year. I'm not sure I agree with him 100%, but I understand why he would wanna make these moves as it gives the Cubs a very good chance of getting to the playoffs the next three years at least. The team you're building in your head seems to be the best chance to win next year in the playoffs IMO.
I don't know where KB is getting his info from, but it's gonna take a whole lot more than DeRosa and Marquis to get Peavy. It's been reported from almost everyone, that we'd be giving up 4-5 pieces, including, but not limited to DeRosa, Marshall, Pie, and Vitters.
<!--quoteo(post=3653:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:50 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 11 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think one major issue to deal with is the approach of putting together the 2009 team.

Clapp, I think you would like the Cubs to build a ball team that can strictly win in the playoffs in 2009. While I don't blame you given the last two years, I think Hendry is going in a different direction if he acquires Peavy and Bradley instead of Ibanez.

Hendry is looking to build a consistent winner rather then going for it all this next year. I'm not sure I agree with him 100%, but I understand why he would wanna make these moves as it gives the Cubs a very good chance of getting to the playoffs the next three years at least. The team you're building in your head seems to be the best chance to win next year in the playoffs IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd prefer Ibanez because I think he has 2-3 very good years left, and I'm telling myself that we're going to have the money to sign another big bat to replace him when he's done. And so on, and so on. We're going to be very good for awhile no matter what. Soto, Aramis, Alf(especially), Marmol, Zambrano, and others aren't going anywhere in the next few years.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs continue to talk to agent Seth Levinson about both Raul Ibanez and Milton Bradley. Bradley is still the player in which the Cubs are most interested and a source told me yesterday that Bradley wants to play for the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
<!--quoteo(post=3778:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:40 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3653:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:50 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 11 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think one major issue to deal with is the approach of putting together the 2009 team.

Hendry is looking to build a consistent winner rather then going for it all this next year. I'm not sure I agree with him 100%, but I understand why he would wanna make these moves as it gives the Cubs a very good chance of getting to the playoffs the next three years at least. The team you're building in your head seems to be the best chance to win next year in the playoffs IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd prefer Ibanez because I think he has 2-3 very good years left, and I'm telling myself that we're going to have the money to sign another big bat to replace him when he's done. And so on, and so on. We're going to be very good for awhile no matter what. Soto, Aramis, Alf(especially), Marmol, Zambrano, and others aren't going anywhere in the next few years.

I'm just not convinced that players can play dominating baseball at the ages of 37+ anymore.
<!--quoteo(post=3907:date=Dec 11 2008, 06:00 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 11 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3778:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3653:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:50 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 11 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think one major issue to deal with is the approach of putting together the 2009 team.

I'm just not convinced that players can play dominating baseball at the ages of 37+ anymore.
This guy has 2 good years left, no doubt in my mind. He's playing better than he has his entire career, you don't all of a sudden just lose it in one season, it's a gradual decline like we're seeing with Lee.
@TheBlogfines
Ibanez is such a jackal in the field though. Bradley, sign me up. It'll be interesting watching him boil over on occasion.
Not sure if it was posted, Lou likes Bradley. It's sounding more and more like we're going to sign him. Would be kickass if we could get him for that rumored 7 mil.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=4122:date=Dec 12 2008, 12:03 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 12 2008, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not sure if it was posted, Lou likes Bradley. It's sounding more and more like we're going to sign him. Would be kickass if we could get him for that rumored 7 mil.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be nice. I just hope something happens soon.
I'm starting to believe more and more that Bradley is just the sort of talented, insane asshole that this team needs. Plus, he's a pretty damn good all around ballplayer, so that sort of goes along with Lou wanting a more athletic, multi-tool corner OF that can bat LH. It looks very likely that we're going to get him at a reasonable rate, and as long as he starts off well, the fans and his teammates will embrace him. Let's do this.
<!--quoteo(post=4125:date=Dec 11 2008, 11:26 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 11 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm starting to believe more and more that Bradley is just the sort of talented, insane asshole that this team needs. Plus, he's a pretty damn good all around ballplayer, so that sort of goes along with Lou wanting a more athletic, multi-tool corner OF that can bat LH. It looks very likely that we're going to get him at a reasonable rate, and as long as he starts off well, the fans and his teammates will embrace him. Let's do this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rok, what are you doing up this late?
100% concur about Bradley.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Again not sure if this was posted, but Garfien said we spoke with Abreu's agent. Hendry also said we've had some internal discussions about Randy Johnson.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=4134:date=Dec 12 2008, 12:26 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 12 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again not sure if this was posted, but Garfien said we spoke with Abreu's agent. Hendry also said we've had some internal discussions about Randy Johnson.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm a big Randy Johnson fan, and his body of work makes him an absolute 1st-ballot HOFer.
But at his age, I question whether we couldn't get the exact same production out of Marshall, and spend the saved 8-10 $million on other holes.