Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->(although I've heard varying stories on this one of which he was already kicked out of the game and was in the clubhouse... which if true I don't really see it as a big deal that he went to confront the guy).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How is that not a big deal? You're a professional athlete, the media's going to say things you don't agree with but you gotta deal with it. Anybody else just says "Fuck that" watching it on tv, and lets it go like they should. You've gotta have serious problems to actually walk up to the booth, and try to get by security to confront the guy DURING the game. I can assure you he wasn't going to have a friendly conversation with this guy, but think that if you want. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of an athlete doing.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->He's certainly given the impression that he'd *like* to hit a few people. The way he went after that umpire, you'd think he was a member of the Ligue family.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no way in the world he was gonna go after that ump. Again, even though I know you're half joking, this type of talk just paints an even worse picture for Bradley. I just think it's wrong.

Here's a little segment that includes the argument and Bradley after the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfbTYyZEij8

All I'm saying is put yourself in his shoes for a moment. I really think that the way he's portrayed is over blown big time and if the Cubs were to sign him today, my only concern would be his health.
<!--quoteo(post=1473:date=Dec 5 2008, 02:54 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->He's certainly given the impression that he'd *like* to hit a few people. The way he went after that umpire, you'd think he was a member of the Ligue family.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no way in the world he was gonna go after that ump. Again, even though I know you're half joking, this type of talk just paints an even worse picture for Bradley. I just think it's wrong.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfbTYyZEij8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfbTYyZEij8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All I'm saying is put yourself in his shoes for a moment. I really think that the way he's portrayed is over blown big time and if the Cubs were to sign him today, my only concern would be his health.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You really think he wasn't going to do anything to the ump? Really?
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=1472:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->(although I've heard varying stories on this one of which he was already kicked out of the game and was in the clubhouse... which if true I don't really see it as a big deal that he went to confront the guy).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How is that not a big deal? You're a professional athlete, the media's going to say things you don't agree with but you gotta deal with it. Anybody else just says "Fuck that" watching it on tv, and lets it go like they should. You've gotta have serious problems to actually walk up to the booth, and try to get by security to confront the guy DURING the game. I can assure you he wasn't going to have a friendly conversation with this guy, but think that if you want. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of an athlete doing.

So if you were on TV and somebody said, "Matt Clapp is the one and only reason for the Holocaust.", you wouldn't have a problem with that? You would just say "Fuck that"?

Like I said, it was stupid. I understand why he did it and I think the whole event was over dramatized again. What do you think would have happened if he got to the booth? Would he have bulldozed the door and slapped the broadcaster around? Or would he have talked to his producer and maybe thrown around some obscenities? One of a million things could have happened, but everyone already jumps to the conclusion that Bradley was out for blood.
He hurt himself trying to get to the ump and in another case where he was acting up, so his health and his anger issues are interrelated.
<!--quoteo(post=1474:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:57 PM:name=Baron)-->QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 5 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1473:date=Dec 5 2008, 02:54 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->He's certainly given the impression that he'd *like* to hit a few people. The way he went after that umpire, you'd think he was a member of the Ligue family.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfbTYyZEij8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfbTYyZEij8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You really think he wasn't going to do anything to the ump? Really?

I'm 100% positive. Maybe bumped him, that's about it. I would say he went for the ump in the same fashion George Brett did.
<!--quoteo(post=1475:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:59 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1472:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->(although I've heard varying stories on this one of which he was already kicked out of the game and was in the clubhouse... which if true I don't really see it as a big deal that he went to confront the guy).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So if you were on TV and somebody said, "Matt Clapp is the one and only reason for the Holocaust.", you wouldn't have a problem with that? You would just say "Fuck that"?

Like I said, it was stupid. I understand why he did it and I think the whole event was over dramatized again. What do you think would have happened if he got to the booth? Would he have bulldozed the door and slapped the broadcaster around? Or would he have talked to his producer and maybe thrown around some obscenities? One of a million things could have happened, but everyone already jumps to the conclusion that Bradley was out for blood.
I'd be upset and probably have a nice rant in the postgame interviews, but go up and confront the guy during the game? Not a chance. And first off, everything the announcer said is pretty much true and that's Bradley's own fault. He's built his reputation and has to deal with it now.
@TheBlogfines
And again, I'd LOVE Bradley's bat and he's a great talent, but to deny that his anger problems are a serious worry is nuts.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1478:date=Dec 5 2008, 04:04 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 5 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1475:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:59 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1472:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->(although I've heard varying stories on this one of which he was already kicked out of the game and was in the clubhouse... which if true I don't really see it as a big deal that he went to confront the guy).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be upset and probably have a nice rant in the postgame interviews, but go up and confront the guy during the game? Not a chance. And first off, everything the announcer said is pretty much true and that's Bradley's own fault. He's built his reputation and has to deal with it now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->All Bradley wanted to do was introduce himself. That's why he ran up those stairs, he said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Earlier during Wednesday's game, he was in the clubhouse checking the video of one of his at-bats when he heard his name all of a sudden. Bradley shifted his attention to Lefebvre's voice on the TV. Lefebvre and his partner, Frank White, were talking about Josh Hamilton when Lefebvre called it a shame that Bradley hadn't turned his life around in a similar fashion. He went on to mention incidences of Bradley taunting fans and walking from the dugout to his position in right field.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was after Bradley had been going to anger management classes and making an effort to correct his mistakes. He hadn't done anything to indicate his life wasn't "turned around" and was basically unfairly judged.

I'm not saying he was right or anything. All I'm saying is that to me, it's understandable.
I think it was Jim Duquette saying this morning on XM that we need to trade for Roberts or sign Orlando Hudson. I don't think we've even been mentioned for being interested in Hudson and move DeRosa to right. He seemed to think it's a perfect fit.
Hudson scares the me to death.

I am all for Bradley. I think that crazy people are better suited to succeed in the playoffs.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
I think Bradley's issues are WAY over blown. It's like saying that Manny is a huge problem. The media likes to blow little things out of perspective. He still hits like mad. I'd take him in a heartbeat. When/if he's injured, stick DeRosa in right and let Fontenot play 2B.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=1510:date=Dec 5 2008, 06:35 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 5 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Bradley's issues are WAY over blown. It's like saying that Manny is a huge problem. The media likes to blow little things out of perspective. He still hits like mad. I'd take him in a heartbeat. When/if he's injured, stick DeRosa in right and let Fontenot play 2B.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How is it overblown though? These are all events we've witnessed with our own eyes outside of the stuff with the announcer.
@TheBlogfines
The announcer one is the only one that's worth talking about.

The guy has been in the league 9 years and has had 3 reported issues:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->2005 season

In 2005, Bradley accused teammate Jeff Kent of being racist.

[edit] 2007 season

On September 23, 2007, Bradley tore his right ACL while being restrained by Padres manager Bud Black during an altercation with first base umpire Mike Winters. Home plate umpire Brian Runge reportedly told Bradley that Winters said that Bradley had tossed his bat in Runge's direction in a previous at-bat. After Bradley reached first base, he questioned Winters about the alleged bat throwing and subsequent communication with Runge. According to Bradley and Padres first base coach Bobby Meacham, Winters used a profanity towards Bradley. Bradley then moved towards Winters. While restrained by Black, Bradley fell to the ground resulting in the injury. He missed the last week of the regular season in 2007.

Winters was suspended for the remainder of the season and disqualified from the postseason for the incident, after MLB determined that he indeed directed obscene language toward Bradley. Bradley was not suspended, the MLB reasoning that there was no need since he didn't make physical contact with Winters.[8]

[edit] 2008 season

According to the Dallas Morning News Bradley attempted to confront Kansas City Royals television announcer Ryan Lefebvre in the press box following a game due to what he believed were unfair comments made on the air. As the Rangers' designated hitter, Bradley was able to watch the broadcast when he wasn't on the field and took offense to a comparison Lefebrve made between him and Josh Hamilton. Manager Ron Washington and general manager Jon Daniels chased after him and stopped Bradley before he got to Lefebvre, at which point Bradley returned to the clubhouse in tears and said

"All I want to do is play baseball and make a better life for my kid than I had, that's it," Bradley said to a quiet clubhouse. "I love all you guys. ... I'm strong, but I'm not that strong."

Daniels said that Bradley was upset that someone that didn't know him was passing judgments about him. [9]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I got nothin'.

Andy
We talked about this in the Confines on the old SOI, there's ton of more stuff that's happened that's not on his wikipedia page.
@TheBlogfines