Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 2009 Chicago Cubs
<!--quoteo(post=1265:date=Dec 4 2008, 03:04 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 4 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Dunn in RF would be a circus show.I'd like his bat 5th or so in our lineup,but he'd cost half as many runs as he'd help produce.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's also not clutch at all. The last thing we need is to pay another hitter a shitload of money and watch him go 0 for 12 in the playoffs.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1276:date=Dec 4 2008, 04:02 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 4 2008, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1265:date=Dec 4 2008, 03:04 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 4 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Dunn in RF would be a circus show.I'd like his bat 5th or so in our lineup,but he'd cost half as many runs as he'd help produce.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's also not clutch at all. The last thing we need is to pay another hitter a shitload of money and watch him go 0 for 12 in the playoffs.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, that's the main reason why I don't like Dunn. It isn't even his high strikeout totals, low BA or bad defense. They guy just isn't clutch. He can hit a shitload of solo moonshots though.
DeLuca on the winter meetings
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Since re-signing 17-game winner Ryan Dempster on Nov. 19, the Cubs' interest in Peavy has lessened. But a source said general manager Jim Hendry, who has more pressing needs than starting pitching, will be willing to listen to the latest sales pitch from Padres GM Kevin Towers, who has said his top priority this offseason is moving Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Hendry also will be working former boss Andy MacPhail in his latest efforts to land leadoff hitter Brian Roberts. MacPhail now runs the Baltimore Orioles, and he is bracing for a barrage of questions from fellow GMs about Roberts' availability. Expect the Sox' Ken Williams to be one of the GMs bugging MacPhail.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Though Wood told Chicago reporters he was willing to return to the Cubs for a one-year deal, he never conveyed that message to the Cubs. And Wood and Hendry have had a tight relationship through the years, so that message would have been conveyed.

Wood is expected to land a two-year deal with a vesting option for a third year. The Mets and Detroit Tigers have shown the most interest.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Can't say I'm all that psyched about potentially seeing Woody in a Mets uni. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=1415:date=Dec 5 2008, 09:53 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 5 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can't say I'm all that psyched about potentially seeing Woody in a Mets uni. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Let's hope they sign Fuentes ASAP, but even he's getting some resistance on his demands for 3-4 years.
What about Milton Bradley for RF? I know he's been injured a lot, and we'd certainly need a Plan B if he gets hurt, but he'd give us a pretty versatile OF between him/fuk/pie/johnson and could hit anywhere in the lineup really. All baggage aside, I think I'd rather have him than Ibanez, and they were both making similar money last season.
<!--quoteo(post=1419:date=Dec 5 2008, 12:05 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 5 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What about Milton Bradley for RF? I know he's been injured a lot, and we'd certainly need a Plan B if he gets hurt, but he'd give us a pretty versatile OF between him/fuk/pie/johnson and could hit anywhere in the lineup really. All baggage aside, I think I'd rather have him than Ibanez, and they were both making similar money last season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've read somewhere that Milton Bradley is one of Hendry's tergets. I just can't remember where.
From Rosenthal

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs' next priority
With the Cubs' pursuit of Padres right-hander Jake Peavy on hold, the team first wants to acquire a left-handed hitting outfielder, either through free agency or trade.

Once that happens, the Cubs' roster would be virtually complete. The addition of Peavy, if general manager Jim Hendry pulled it off, would be a bonus.

The Cubs will need approval from their new owner before they can move on Jake Peavy.

The problem is finding the right bat.

The trade market is thin. The Padres' Brian Giles would fit nicely, but has a full no-trade clause. The Cardinals would not trade Rick Ankiel to their biggest rival. The Marlins' Jeremy Hermida is available, but less than proven.

The Royals are keeping David DeJesus and probably will not move Mark Teahen. The Giants would not trade Randy Winn unless they signed Manny Ramirez or another slugger, a notion that general manager Brian Sabean seemed to dismiss on Thursday.

That leaves free agents.

Adam Dunn is out — Dunn in right and Alfonso Soriano in left would compromise the Cubs too much defensively. Bobby Abreu plays right, but one GM describes him as "brutal" in the field. Raul Ibanez has made only 10 starts in right since 2002, but — like another free agent, Ken Griffey Jr. — played for Lou Piniella in Seattle.

If the Cubs signed a lesser defender, they could replace him with Reed Johnson or Kosuke Fukudome in the late innings. Of course, if that were their plan, they might not want to pay their new right fielder big money.

One more thought, <b>perhaps the most intriguing thought: Milton Bradley.</b> The Cubs would need to be convinced that Bradley, a switch-hitter, could stay healthy for 140 games. And they would need to be confident that Piniella and Bradley could co-exist comfortably.

The Cubs could clear some money by trading right-hander Jason Marquis and assuming a chunk of his $9.875 million salary, either in the Peavy deal or a separate trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Though Wood told Chicago reporters he was willing to return to the Cubs for a one-year deal, he never conveyed that message to the Cubs. And Wood and Hendry have had a tight relationship through the years, so that message would have been conveyed.

Wood is expected to land a two-year deal with a vesting option for a third year. The Mets and Detroit Tigers have shown the most interest.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If this is the case, and wood did not want a 1 year deal, then why not offer arbitration?
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I'm sorry, did Rosenthal just suggest that the Cubs would be interested in Ankiel? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->What about Milton Bradley for RF? I know he's been injured a lot, and we'd certainly need a Plan B if he gets hurt, but he'd give us a pretty versatile OF between him/fuk/pie/johnson and could hit anywhere in the lineup really. All baggage aside, I think I'd rather have him than Ibanez, and they were both making similar money last season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But his baggage is an issue more than any player in baseball right now. He's only had over 400 at bats 2 times in 8 years. There's a reason he's been on 6 teams in that span. When he's not hurt, he's causing trouble. Tearing his acl when he was arguing with an ump was so fitting, and anger management's apparently done nothing for this guy. Even during his great 08 season he tried to go up and confront a Royals announcer in the booth during a game.

But yeah, he's an undeniable talent and if you got lucky with his health and behavior, he'd be great to have.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Even during his great 08 season he tried to go up and confront a Royals announcer in the booth during a game.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe it's just me, but this shows me nothing about his anger issues. Bad decision making is another thing completely though...
<!--quoteo(post=1462:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:20 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Even during his great 08 season he tried to go up and confront a Royals announcer in the booth during a game.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe it's just me, but this shows me nothing about his anger issues. Bad decision making is another thing completely though...
How? He got pissed about what they were saying about him, so he went up to confront the announcer during the game. That isn't normal. He probably would've tried to punch the guy.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1465:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:27 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 5 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1462:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:20 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Even during his great 08 season he tried to go up and confront a Royals announcer in the booth during a game.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How? He got pissed about what they were saying about him, so he went up to confront the announcer during the game. That isn't normal. He probably would've tried to punch the guy.

Yeah, because he has a long history of punching people [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

See, it's this type of thing that really annoys me. Milton Bradley has a history of basically throwing fits in public. He's never (to my knowledge) struck anyone and yet people seem to think he's some vengeful asshole on the warpath all the time.

It's this type of thinking that the announcer was buying into and saying about him on public television. I can completely understand why he was upset that the guy was saying those things about him. It was stupid to leave a in the middle of the game (although I've heard varying stories on this one of which he was already kicked out of the game and was in the clubhouse... which if true I don't really see it as a big deal that he went to confront the guy).

Bradley has done some stupid things in his baseball career. A lot of it has been over blown and I don't think it's anything that he hasn't worked on.
<!--quoteo(post=1467:date=Dec 5 2008, 02:37 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1465:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:27 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 5 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1462:date=Dec 5 2008, 03:20 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 5 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Even during his great 08 season he tried to go up and confront a Royals announcer in the booth during a game.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, because he has a long history of punching people [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

See, it's this type of thing that really annoys me. Milton Bradley has a history of basically throwing fits in public. He's never (to my knowledge) struck anyone and yet people seem to think he's some vengeful asshole on the warpath all the time.

It's this type of thinking that the announcer was buying into and saying about him on public television. I can completely understand why he was upset that the guy was saying those things about him. It was stupid to leave a in the middle of the game (although I've heard varying stories on this one of which he was already kicked out of the game and was in the clubhouse... which if true I don't really see it as a big deal that he went to confront the guy).

Bradley has done some stupid things in his baseball career. A lot of it has been over blown and I don't think it's anything that he hasn't worked on.
He's certainly given the impression that he'd *like* to hit a few people. The way he went after that umpire, you'd think he was a member of the Ligue family.