Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs to sign OF Gathright
Didn't Scarey post something about Japanese players being significantly improved in their 2nd years of mlb?
<!--quoteo(post=5269:date=Dec 16 2008, 06:57 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 16 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't believe people are talking about DFA'ing Fuk. I know someone pointed it out already, but this isn't football. We'd be on the hook.

I have to ask, am I the only one that holds out hope for Fuk? He started off last season good enough that I can't believe he's total crap. New year, platoon situation, it could be just what he needs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

stone siad last year before the year started that we should expect fuk to struggle his first year and to expect a better year in his second year. so next year could be a better year than last year.

year.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=5309:date=Dec 16 2008, 07:48 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 16 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5304:date=Dec 16 2008, 07:41 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5299:date=Dec 16 2008, 08:38 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 16 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5292:date=Dec 16 2008, 07:32 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5279:date=Dec 16 2008, 08:16 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 16 2008, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's way more signs that point to Fuk being a good baseball player than a bad one.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd love to know what some of them were after MAY.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
After May, there were pretty much none (as a hitter, anyway). But that doesn't erase the entire rest of his career. And a guy doesn't do what he did over the course of 9 years without being a good hitter. Sure, it's possible he just all of a sudden lost it, but that isn't very likely at all.

Were his previous numbers in MLB, I'd agree with you. But I never thought his Japan numbers meant much ("Fuk-Flop"), and his season line was pretty much exactly what I expected.

I love his defense, I'll give you that.
I understand that. And I surely don't think he'll come close to matching his Japan numbers, because it's clearly an inferior league. But I can tell you Jose Macias or Manny Alexander aren't going put up a .305/.397/.543 clip over 9 seasons in Japan. I don't care what country you're in, it takes talent to be able to do that.

tuffy rhodes hit 50-something home runs in japan.
Wang.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs just signed a guy who's so fast, he already has run past Felix Pie on the outfield depth chart and looks like he's about to run Pie right out of the organization.

What's certain is this: Former Rays and Royals outfielder Joey Gathright is a left-handed hitter with more experience, at least as much defensive versatility and better baserunning ability and instincts than Pie, and he made a better impression on manager Lou Piniella with Tampa Bay than Pie has made in Chicago.

''We're a long way from Opening Day,'' Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said of the effect on Pie of signing Gathright to a one-year, $800,000 deal. ''It doesn't exclude anybody from being on the club on Opening Day.''

Short of an injury, it does. With the Cubs pursuing free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley and with three other outfielders locked in, there's room for only one Gathright-Pie type.

It's doubtful Pie -- who recently was considered the organization's top prospect -- will last the offseason without being traded, considering he's out of options and was a long shot to make the 25-man roster out of spring training even before Gathright was signed.

Gathright, 27, rates a top scouting score of 80 for speed and has backed it up by stealing 78 bases in 105 career attempts (74.3 percent). He also is an adept bunter and a .263 career hitter in 399 games.

''We've been looking for a guy like this for quite some time,'' Hendry said. ''He's arguably one of the fastest guys in the game, if not the fastest. Our people think he can be even better in the National League because of double switches and the other roles.''<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs have had talks about the framework of a potential deal for Bradley and at least one other free agent.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Link(Wittenmyer)
@TheBlogfines
Is it wrong of me to hate Gathright without ever having seen him play?
I think he could be what Tom Goodwin was for us in 2003.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=5455:date=Dec 17 2008, 09:54 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 17 2008, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think he could be what Tom Goodwin was for us in 2003.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, those were my exact thoughts actually.

He is a 5th OF with good speed, nothing more, nothing less. If that's all people expect from him then I see no reason to hate him.
I'd be very happy with him as a fifth outfielder. What concerns me is that at present, he is our fifth outfielder...and we haven't signed anyone for RF yet.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=5482:date=Dec 17 2008, 12:47 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 17 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd be very happy with him as a fifth outfielder. What concerns me is that at present, he is our fifth outfielder...and we haven't signed anyone for RF yet.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe DeRosa's the RFer and Pie finally ends up in Baltimore for Roberts . . .
<!--quoteo(post=5484:date=Dec 17 2008, 01:48 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 17 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5482:date=Dec 17 2008, 12:47 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 17 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd be very happy with him as a fifth outfielder. What concerns me is that at present, he is our fifth outfielder...and we haven't signed anyone for RF yet.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe DeRosa's the RFer and Pie finally ends up in Baltimore for Roberts . . .

Of all of the possible outcomes at this point, I like that as much as any other I've heard.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=5455:date=Dec 17 2008, 10:54 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 17 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think he could be what Tom Goodwin was for us in 2003.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that is exactly what he could be. I always liked Goodwin and the role he served on that team. I like this move.
Pie is out of options. What happens to him if he cant be traded for something deemed worthy?
I doubt it,but what if this is the LH OF bat we've been looking for? How happy will you be then?
I'm just getting antsy,I guess....too many rumors got my hopes up for something big. I'm starting to wonder if the financial restraints we've heard whispered hold some merit.I hope I'm just paranoid.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Pie will be traded. There is going to be a team out there that will grab him before we would ever release him just to make sure they get him. There is no way in hell this is the LH OF bat we have been looking for. People that are thinking like that are just becoming paranoid from the lack of action this off-season. Everyone needs to remember that A LOT of the big free agents have not even been signed yet.
Thanks for bringing me back off the ledge.

Paranoia.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
Yeah, this isn't the big move. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

It's sounding more and more like it's gonna be Bradley.
@TheBlogfines