Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs Looking at Derek Lowe?
<!--quoteo(post=5343:date=Dec 16 2008, 10:53 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 16 2008, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5340:date=Dec 16 2008, 10:42 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 16 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a very strong feeling that Lowe is going to flop big time on whoever signs him. The guy is turning 36 in June. I would only feel comfortable signing him if my home ball park had an expansive outfield.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since Lowe is one of the best sinkerballers in the league I am not to worried about the size of the yard he plays in. I more worried about the defense we'd put behind him and the fact that he is 36 years old with a lot of mileage on his body.

Over the last 4 years he has been quite consistent with last year being the best of them.

EDIT - I just checked Lowe's home/road splits. Over the last 3 years he is almost a full run worse when he's not pitching at Dodger Stadium. That's definitely a concern.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ideally, sinker ballers will get ground balls. But look at Marquis. There's times where he can't fool people with his sinker and then when he throws a fast ball it gets shot into orbit.

I just don't trust giving a guy that old the amount of money he'll get paid.
This is preposterous BS. And I don't hate Lowe, actually think he would be a good fit here, but we've been acting as though we have a million salary constraints and such, so why this? Our name seems to get mentioned in connection with just about every FA these days.
It probably has something to do with the agent. They feed stories to the press to drive up the market value of the player. I doubt it fools many gm's, but probably works on occasion.