Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs to sign OF Gathright
Also, I wonder how much Lou had to do with this since he coached him for two years in TB.
<!--quoteo(post=5131:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:16 PM:name=AlexV)-->QUOTE (AlexV @ Dec 16 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yep, if we don't deal Pie, they will fight for a spot during Sprig Training, the better makes the team, the other one goes to the minors. No big deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If Gathright has a major league contract and Pie is out of options then neither will end up in the minors, whichever doesn't make it will be gone, unless they make it through waivers.

Still, I agree having two speedy 5th OFers isn't the end of the world.
And of course, I forgot Pie was out of options. He either makes the Major League team or gets put on waivers.
I think I remember that Gathright is an awful fielder. I think that was the reason given for why he rarely played in KC. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
I have no idea but one of his videos on mlb.com is titled something like "Gathright's great catch".

That doesn't mean anything though, anyone can make a good play now and then.
<!--quoteo(post=5103:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:41 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 16 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5099:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:26 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 16 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->TUESDAY: The Cubs have signed Gathright to a one-year deal, according to Carrie Muskat. The Chicago Sun-Times says it's an $800K deal. The speedy outfielder has a career line of .263/.328/.304 in 1296 plate appearances. Perhaps the signing will lead to a trade of Felix Pie, who is out of options.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bye bye mr. dominican pie....
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
nice one!
<!--quoteo(post=5139:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:28 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 16 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think I remember that Gathright is an awful fielder. I think that was the reason given for why he rarely played in KC. Can anyone confirm or refute that?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quick, someone consult the Fielding Bible!
I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=5173:date=Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Couldn't we DFA Fuk too? I imagine he'd have no problem clearing waivers, and if he didn't, fucking awesome!
<!--quoteo(post=5103:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:41 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 16 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5099:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:26 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 16 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->TUESDAY: The Cubs have signed Gathright to a one-year deal, according to Carrie Muskat. The Chicago Sun-Times says it's an $800K deal. The speedy outfielder has a career line of .263/.328/.304 in 1296 plate appearances. Perhaps the signing will lead to a trade of Felix Pie, who is out of options.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bye bye mr. dominican pie....
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=5177:date=Dec 16 2008, 05:05 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 16 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5173:date=Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Couldn't we DFA Fuk too? I imagine he'd have no problem clearing waivers, and if he didn't, fucking awesome!

Yeah, that's true. Although somebody help me out - if we DFA Fuk, and someone claims him, aren't we on the hook for his salary above the minimum?
<!--quoteo(post=5219:date=Dec 16 2008, 04:43 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5177:date=Dec 16 2008, 05:05 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 16 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5173:date=Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that's true. Although somebody help me out - if we DFA Fuk, and someone claims him, aren't we on the hook for his salary above the minimum?

Yep, absoltuely no way we could DFA Fuk, we would owe all his contract and someone could have him for basically free.

We could try placing him on irrevocable waivers but I doubt anyone would take that contract.

We are stuck with him, period.
<!--quoteo(post=5220:date=Dec 16 2008, 06:52 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Dec 16 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5219:date=Dec 16 2008, 04:43 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5177:date=Dec 16 2008, 05:05 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 16 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5173:date=Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, absoltuely no way we could DFA Fuk, we would owe all his contract and someone could have him for basically free.

We could try placing him on irrevocable waivers but I doubt anyone would take that contract.

We are stuck with him, period.
Yep, and it's still a much better situation than we're in with Alf. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/brickwall.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=5173:date=Dec 16 2008, 03:52 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Or we keep all of them. Fuk to platoon in CF. Pie as the 5th OFer. Gathright takes Ward's spot.
<!--quoteo(post=5224:date=Dec 16 2008, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 16 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5173:date=Dec 16 2008, 03:52 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 16 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm late, but as was point out, unless a deal for Pie is in place, we DID tie our hands to one of three unappealing options: Pie gone for nothing, Gaithright gone and we pay about five hundred grand for nothing, or we have both of them on our roster (which already has Reed Johnson or Fuk in a reserve outfield role).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Or we keep all of them. Fuk to platoon in CF. Pie as the 5th OFer. Gathright takes Ward's spot.

Yeah, that was option 3.